Daily Topics - Friday February 12th 2010

Daily Topics - Friday February 12th 2010

bernie imagesQuote:  "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."  -- Abraham Lincoln (born February 12, 1809)

"Welcome today to: Time Warner Cable in 150,000+ homes in Southwest, OH; also to Rochester Community TV in Marion, MA; the Lansing Radio Network in Lansing, MI,  NEK-TV in Newport, VT; and HCTV 99/HERKIMER College TV in Herkimer County, NY

"Anything Goes - Townhall Friday"

Hour One - "Brunch With Bernie" Senator Bernie Sanders www.sanders.senate.gov

Hour Two - Don't you think Muslim countries are more offended by their country being occupied than by having gays serving in the military? Sen. Gary Nodler Missouri State Senator, R-32  www.nodlerforcongress.com

Comments

Ted Armen (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Back on Tuesday thom had a discussion with a conservative who brought up volunteer fire departments as a rebuttal to Thom's "socialist fire dept and police dept." line of argument. Not for the first time! These conservative always get off easy when they do that. Our local volunteer fire dept is a multi-million dollar investment in the firehouse, vehicles, tools and equipment. Annual training costs are not volunteered either. This investment in made and paid for through local, state and federal taxes(yes, federal). What do these idiots think, the volunteers drive to the fire in their own cars with some water in the trunk, and throw it on the fire with buckets that they buy themselves?

Jeanie (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

"What do these idiots think, the volunteers drive to the fire in their own cars with some water in the trunk, and throw it on the fire with buckets that they buy themselves?"

Mark K (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

The film “Network” came out almost 35 years ago; the question now is whether it was prophetic in regard to globalization, or just stating the current reality of the time. The latter seems closer to the truth, so it seems a bit of a stretch to lay the blame for the current economic condition of the country on Thom’s favorite punching bags (like NAFTA), which only appeared much later, and with much relatively marginal impact. GATT began shaping the world economy back in 1948, and MFN status even earlier. In any case, U.S. trade within NAFTA is much less restricted than its trade with other countries like China, which apply trade barriers and regulations that override much of GATT, and deliberately harm U.S. interests. The U.S. continues to be reluctant to take reciprocal action, apparently for the sake of “good relations” with countries that are otherwise are our adversaries.

I also continue to observe that while Thom often spars this person from the “independent” women’s forum about barriers to (white) women, he seems extremely reluctant to take on the issue of under-representation of minorities. Yes, there are only 17 (white) women in the U.S. Senate, but there is only one African-American, Roland Burris, but he won’t last beyond 2010— the contemptible treatment he’s been given by those on the “left” insures that. In regard to corporate boardrooms, while women and blacks still have considerably fewer seats than their percentage of the population should dictate, for Latinos it is far worse. Despite the fact they comprise 14 percent of the population, 85 percent of Fortune 1000 boardrooms have no Latino representation at all, and overall a little over one percent of the total seats.

asa watcher (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

It's the 21st century. Get Bernie a phone that works.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Thom: ya'll realize Bernie's audio has static?

Mark K (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

In local news, there was an assault recorded on video that occurred in Seattle’s Metro bus tunnel. The video shows a 15-year-old girl apparently trying to get the attention of three security guards. A moment later, another teenage girl arrives, who—ignoring the security guards—starts swinging at and kicking the girl. The victim was shoved into the bus traffic lane, and repeatedly kicked in the head. The victim tried to get up and run away, but while the guards stood by, she was again shoved to the ground and kicked about the head. While one guard appears to be calling on a cell phone or radio, nothing more is done save a feeble gesture toward the attacker. Eventually the police arrived, arresting the attacker, another female and two males involved in the theft of various items in the victim’s possession.

Since the attack, there has been some talk for allowing the security guards to apply physical restraint, since they are currently only allowed to observe and report. But do we want untrained security guards behaving like Seth Rogen in the film “Observe and Report” which should have been entitled “Observe Minority and then Beat the Hell out of Him for Laughs?” Of course, being “trained” does not necessarily mean that you react to a situation in a reasoned manner—any cop with a gun will suffice to prove that. But it has been my experience that if security guards are expected to do something other than “observe and report,” they tend to be paranoid and start seeing things, and become bullying and belligerent--mainly because they want you to go away so that they can go hide and sleep .

For the present, armed Sheriff’s deputies are slated to patrol the tunnel. It is interesting to note that the assault would not have occurred at all if the police had acted appropriately only minutes before; the victim—who knew her attacker, so there was apparently some bad blood between them—had been harassed in a Macy’s a floor above the terminal. The police had intervened, but refused to escort her safely outside. As a sidebar, I noted that the Seattle Times’ resident misandrist columnist felt an obligation to comment on the matter, since the victim was female; however, while she immediately noted a completely unrelated case that involved a 14-year-old boy who had been accused of assaulting a bus driver, it took about ten paragraphs for her to be compelled to indicate the gender of the attacker, since it’s hard to get away without using a gender-specific pronoun for long.

RustyCannon (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Ted, you're absolutely correct. I belong to my local VFD and we DO have millions in equipment and buildings, financed by grants from the feds as well as a mil levy on residences and businesses in our disctrict. When the department was first started, they begged for donations, but as needs of the community increased, we needed more training and better equipment. One of the primary needs of the community is the fact that without such a functioning department that can demonstrate a reasonable response time, their fire insurance premiums go way up.

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

The Republicans in Congress make the art of horse trading look honest.

Joyce S (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Does anyone know what channel/network the show is on TimeWarner cable in Southwest Ohio? That's where I am and just flipped through all the channels and couldn't find it.

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

The New World of Clean Energy
Chen Nanyang (2009) China Solar Booms: Chinese Government and Manufacturers Push Solar Industry writes China 's photovoltaic (pv) capacity will reach 2.9 GW by 2010. This is in part due to the solar subsidy incentive that government gave its' citizens of 3 yuan ($0.44) a kilowatt hour (Kwh).

Read more at Suite101: Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Riverkeeper: RFK Jr. Lights up the Debate : The Future of Generating Electricity http://environmental-activism.suite101.com/article.cfm/robert_f_kennedy_...

Richard L. Adlof (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Brandon must be getting paid to make the call the liberal hosts . . . He does this every couple of weeks . . . He has been a 22 year old investor for over a year now.

Ask him how his grandma does not want to burden the system by using Medicare . . . He LOVES that story.

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Bloomberg green report this morning said there is the Owens Playa, California is being looked at for solar right now. Could bring in 3 gigawatts. 1 gigawatt=1000 megawatts, 1 megawatt = 1000 kilowatt hours. 1 kilowatt = 1000 watts.

Solar thermal IS competitive with coal at about .12 kwh

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Joyce - TWC site is no help. Are you in Cinci or Dayton area.

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Richartd thanks! for saying that! Michael Pollen said we are in the 3rd stagfe of Gandhi's axiom, "then they fight you." I just finished reading a large expose about how eating right was a crock because no modern 'hard working' family would have time to prepare home-ade food. ...Unless...women would be 'reduced' to having to go back to the kichen....hear that?

Its always so subtle.....

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Good on Bernie for correcting the caller regarding Feinstein being progressive.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Wonder what the current count is of legislators not running for re-election. Seems like more than usual. Probably because of the SCOTUS decision, legislators of ethics don't want to be fully-owned subsidiaries of the corporations.

Joyce S (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Charles -- Thanks for checking, too bad it was no help. I was Googling trying to find info too, but no luck. I'm in the Dayton area.

Nels (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

KMH, preparing a home-made meals is only half the battle, unless you want to spend hours at the super-market reading labels, your likely to bring home all sorts of processed crap (a lot of it marked with Health Choice, No Fat, Natural, Organic, etc...) its amazing how much is passed off as good for you. Then you look at the list of ingredients and sprang your tongue trying to pronounce 20 syllable words that still don't make sense even if you can make out what half the compounds are.

When I say compounds I'm talking about the parts of the words like hydo- cynate- gluto- surcros- ect...

Brad Vietje (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Bernie and Thom have stated many times that oil, natural gas & coal industries, or "Big Energy" (my term) are heavily subsidized. I've heard this from many other sources, as well, and have no reason to doubt it. I would like to see a summary of those subsidies, including health effects, clean-up costs and remediation, etc... Can someone point me toward that analysis -- and those of solar and wind, too?

Thanks!

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

I agree to forcing the filibuster. The problem is nothing prevents them from lying.

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Joyce - Same here, Englewood. Is Truner your Rep?

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Nels- its easy, shop at a health food store and or belong to a Community Service Agriculture. If someone aint got time to saute a zuchinni, some dark leafy greens, and put some grains into a grain cooker- which does it all the cooking of the grains, and open a can of beans, that person has other types of problems.http://www.localharvest.org/

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

And...its called packing a lunch. Get a sizable at least cubic ft collapsible cooler with a strap, and carry it right along with your briefcase. Put some picnic ice in there with a real plate and utensils, and a real glass. Tuck in toothbruth, napkins etc. Takes me 15 minutes to do. Here's that link again, I see I need to type it in again. http://www.localharvest.org/

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Joyce - the reason I ask is I moved here from Detroit area in September and am trying to get involved in the local political scene. I haven't been very impressed with the organization of the Montgomery County Dem Club. There blog is inactive and the calendar doesn't seem to be kept up very well.

Joyce S (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Charles -- I'm in Tipp City, so lucky me, The Boehner is MY rep!!!

Brad Vietje (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

KMH -- good point on solar thermal -- BUT, these days the term "Solar Thermal" is coming to be known as making electricity by using solar thermal equipment to boil water, to make steam, to run a turbine, to make electricity... this is but one form of solar thermal. This thermal energy is far MORE efficient when used for on-site heating, and for absorption cooling. Since a lot of electrical energy is used to run air conditioners, on-site solar AC could be a far more efficient way to use solar thermal technology.

We now have some new ways to store thermal energy for on-site heating and cooling, so we need to look beyond grid-connected power production to some of the other solar thermal technologies, too.

Clear skies,

Brad

Nels (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

KMH, OK OK, I just hope these veggies I'm buying haven't be genetically altered (they don't have to label that stuff). Remind me again are cucumbers supposed glow or not glow?

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Joyce - My sympathies. We can always tell when he is in town. The smell of tanning lotion wafts over the valley

Nels (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Brad, do you have any web sites that you can link to in regards to these Solar Energy applications, I'd like to check them out if you have them readily available.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Nels:

"OK OK, I just hope these veggies I’m buying haven’t be genetically altered (they don’t have to label that stuff). Remind me again are cucumbers supposed glow or not glow?"

It's my understanding they only glow after being MISused.

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@KMH - Thanks for the link. Dayton, Ohio has a few markets accessible by public transportation. I'll check them out.

Joyce S (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Charles -- ha ha! And sorry about Turner being your rep. Not exactly a bastion of progressivism around here, is it?! That's why I'm so happy to hear about Thom being on TimeWarner. Also, regarding the local political scene, I'm ashamed to admit that most of my involvement is of the minimal online variety, so I'm not much help.

The Church Lady (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Due to the misunderstandings of others about work/release I have not been able to spend as much time guiding you young bucks through life's mysteries and the ins and outs, and ins and outs, and...other good stuff. That doesn't mean the Church Lady has taken her good eye off the balls! No siree! In fact, you could say that the balls are usually only an eyelash away, literally. I digress. What I'm trying to say is I've been following the conversation these past weeks and I must say, I'm pretty darned hot and bothered! You might even say I'm in a lather. (close your eyes and imagine Nels)

To observe so many young, curious, open-minded, firm, rock solid people standing rigid for their hard held beliefs makes The Church Lady feel hopeful for future prospects.

And Nels, your cucumber glows to me big time.

rewinn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Does this Nodler Guest think Afghanis have such good GAYDAR that they can identify gays in the military in the middle of a firefight?

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

The FAQ page ought to warn us about TCL.

The Church Lady (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

The Church Lady wonders how Mr. Harry Ashburn knows so much about being "altered". That explains a lot to her. She had a feeling you were deeeferent. What a waste.

Julian Kernes (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

I live in an apartment building in the river. Our parking lot often has strong wind blowing. I thought all the apartment buildings could have a wind turbine with solar panels on the roof so the whole building could be off the power grid and energy independent. I don't know if this is politically possible to happen.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@TCL: "altered??" I don't get it. I haven't been "altered", other than to have my penis transplanted to my chin.

rewinn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Nodler wants us to obey AQ's demands. If AQ doesn't like gays in the military, we should acommodate them!

The Church Lady (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Harry
Bald er dash?

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@TCL: exactly.

rewinn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Julian - what city?
A lot of localities are working on the very thing you describe but need citizen input. Zoning issues etc need to be addressed. The more independent your building or neighborhood is, the more resilient it is in a disaster, natural or otherwise. Check with city hall, town council, etc.

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Renewing the Patriot Act does create jobs. Jobs in the telecommunications/tech industries collecting data on citizens.

Nels (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Oh Church Lady, I am not worthy. You may wish to discipline me severely for my wayward ways.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Charles: hey, the prison industry has to plan for the future...they'll have vacancies they need to fill.

Charles (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Harry - I read recently that California is contemplating outsourcing its prison system to Mexico. Nothing is sacred.

Rick in Canadia (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

Thom,
As everything goes today and re the coverage of the 'famously famous',
A lead story on Entertainment Tonight was John Edwards' infidelity problem.
Aside from writing books, is anyone involved actually or officially part of the entertainment 'industry'?
Sports news is sports business and scandal. Politics is now entertainment..
All upside down.
Rick

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Nels-

Okay cucumbers are not supposed to glow. You can be fairly sure that what you have is really not genetically engineered if it bears a CCOF label on it.. Talk about Nazi Food Fascists! I had to stabilize soils with some stuff and if I so much as knocked on a winery that was CCOF, I might have been the banker in the Beverly Hillbillies against Grannies Gun! No CCOF label on my stabilizers, no deal! Each certifier is localized, so I do not know where you are but you can quickly figure out who your local food fascist is :) Then, you can even pressure your local big grocer to devote a section to that certified produce. I complained about this to our local big market for when I have to go there only because I cannot get to the Co-op. Not only were they happy I was keeping them in the loop, but not long ago, the produce guy told me sales were so good that they are planning to increase the section considerably.

The Church Lady (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@ Nels& Harry

Mr. Cuke, You stood out from the beginning. I knew you were a prodigy. I see great things ahead for you and Harry Ash. The Church Lady encourages all young men to work out at the "Y". You too can get ahead!

KMH (not verified) 4 years 29 weeks ago

@Brad- yeah, teach us some more. How do you know this solar stuff so well? Any links would be welcome!

The GOP war on workers has killed again...

It’s time to stop the conservative's war on working people in America.

Since the birth of our nation, conservatives have always been wary of average working-class Americans having too much political or economic power. John Adams, the second President of the United States and a Federalist (precursor to today’s Republicans), was very wary of the working class, which he referred to as “the rabble.”

"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.