Daily Topics - Monday March 1st, 2010

Daily Topics - Monday March 1st, 2010

kLouisemiddle finger imagesQuote:  Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us. -- William Orville Douglas

Welcome to our newest station WRNC in Ashland, WI.

Hour One - Is the middle finger free speech...is there a difference between flipping off the cops and everyone else….?

Plus...Stacey Hopkins Founding member Coffee Party/Atlanta www.coffeepartyusa.com Finally progressives are waking up…welcome to the coffee parties!

Hour Two -  What do we need to do to re-legalize democracy in America? David Cobb - The Campaign to Legalize Democracy tour www.movetoamend.org

Hour Three - What's next for health care? Governor/Dr. Howard Dean former Governor of Vermont (6 terms); Chairman Emeritus of the DNC; founder "Democracy for America” www.democracyforamerica.com

Plus.... Is the health-care mandate unconstitutional? Larry Klayman Founder Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch USA www.judicialwatch.org and www.freedomwatchusa.org

Upcoming Events with Thom Hartmann: Friday, March 5th - 6 to 8pm, Denver, CO - AM 760 presents Thom and David Sirota taking opposite sides "Is it Time to Abandon the Democratic Party?"  Event is  sold out but you can still enter to win tickets!!  Visit AM760.net for details.

Comments

preznit giv me turkee (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

“If I were designing a system from scratch, I would probably go ahead with a single-payer system,” Obama, during the campaign

mebbe he should come out with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid in front of a blank whiteboard and say “my republican ‘friends’ have been saying we should ’start from scratch.’ so here goes” and then writes on it on the left side “Medicare for all” then on the right side writes “tort reform” and then Nancy Pelosi writes the CBO verified cost savings on the left and on the right “sell across state lines” then Harry Reid writes “51 votes” and it goes back to Obama who says “how do you like those choices?”

Mark K (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Over the weekend, some annoying, self-important loud mouth on MSNBC named Irshad Manji “suggested” that young people voted for Obama because he was black; was this not racist? I seem to recall that this was the opinion of uber-feminists Geraldine Ferraro and Gloria Steinem when Hillary’s primary campaign began to tank. Thom had one or two discussions last week concerning why young people who voted for Obama do not seem to get as worked-up over the “tough” issues as older people do; is this “proof” that they voted for him because it was “cool” to vote for a black guy who gave inspiring speeches?

It can’t be that simple (or is it?). I voted for Obama mostly for the following reasons:

1. He was the Democratic nominee.

2. I don’t like Republicans, never did, and never will.

Now, you may ask why I preferred Obama over Hillary. Actually, I didn’t “prefer” either one. I signed an online petition begging Al Gore to step into the race. But once I realized that wasn’t going to happen, I leaned toward Obama because I didn’t think Clinton had the temperament to be president, seeing how she managed to alienate even fellow Democrats with her tart tongue during her previous foray into “executive” power back in 1993; noted the book “Game Change,” her many incomprehensible temper tantrums made even some of her own staffers muse that this person should not be president.

Anyways, Obama’s race could only have been a part of why young people were drawn to him; after all, he did seem “young” like them and spoke to them in a language they could understand. He spoke of the “future,” a concept that young voters could identify with. I suppose people did expect “change” to happen when Obama was elected, but there were different definitions of what that could mean. Some thought that “change” simply meant the historic election of a black man. Some thought (like me) that the country couldn’t afford to continue with another Republican in the White House, and that at the very least we needed a change in the environment in which policy was conducted; Obama’s claim to wish to bring people together also resonated with me, given the way the Bush administration allowed an atmosphere of racial paranoia (especially against Latinos) to exist in order to keep people’s minds off the crimes it was committing.

Diehard progressives, meanwhile, have chosen to believe that Obama, because he is black (or half black), would be more amenable to “radical” change; the problem is that Obama seems to be sincere about wanting to seen as please “all” the people, including people who hate him (because he’s black). For those people, Obama’s election itself was too “radical” for them to handle mentally; it meant “change” of much more fearsome nature. Obama the black man is going to take “everything” that belongs to them alone away from them, and give them to those “other” people. Obama is somehow going to turn the country into a Third World backwater, like Zimbabwe. This is the white man’s country, after all. Why Obama has to try to get these people on his side is beyond my comprehension, but it should be clear by now that Obama believes that being a “good” president means having the approval of all people—and in doing so has only alienated many people who hoped for “real” change while gaining none of the support of those who will never like him no matter what he does. There should be nothing “radical” about doing the “right” thing, even if some people choose not to know what is good for them.

Mark K (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Time magazine had a couple of interesting articles last week, pointing out some “duh” facts, noting that the “revulsion” toward government can be explained by the failure to address the “big challenges” the country faces with “vigorous action,” which is exactly what Obama and Democrats have not done. “When government doesn’t take that action, it loses people’s faith.” Republicans, it was noted, use polarizing tactics to deliberately “stymie” government when Democrats are in power, while avoiding such talk when they are in power, because it isn’t useful to make themselves look ridiculous.

There was something on the tea party movement as well, but this time Time was way, way off, seeming to take little note that if 1 in 5 adult Americans “identify” with tea partiers, that leaves 4 in 5 who do not. The article also was entirely ignorant of its roots in extremist right-wing movements of the past. Once more, the “mainstream” media, instead of exposing the contents of the Pandora’s Box it helped open, gives it a more dangerous vitality.

There was also an article by someone name Ramesh Pannuru called “The Case Against College Education” arguing we have too many college graduates, and that some fields (like journalism) do not require a college education (he may be right). I don’t think that there are too many college graduates; the problem is that they are not receiving degrees in the fields that have the greatest need. Liberal Arts is the “easy” way to get a degree, but such degrees seldom are compatible with the needs of the marketplace. We need more people in the “hard” fields like the sciences, math and engineering. The shortage of degrees in these fields plays right into the smug, arrogant hands of people like Pannuru, who represents the “solution” to this problem: importing the educated, high-wage help.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I'm a big fan of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe books - I've read ALL of them, written between 1934 and 1975. Wolfe likes nothing better than tweaking the nose of the Police, and gets away with it because of the grudging respect he gets from closing the cases that they can't. This happens ONLY in fiction. In the real world, a private detective who "outperforms" the Police is more likely to find himself incarcerated than respected.

Mark K (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

One thing that I have learned about police is that when they encounter people who can "articulate" their grievances against their behavior (like racial profiling), it tends to put them in an uncomfortable position in which they are the ones looking for a way out. In Kent, WA where I have had frequent encounters of this nature, I generally don't "flip-off" police when I see them, but if I see them driving by giving me the stare, I give them the Nazi salute, which puts my view across more concisely.

harry ashburn (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

re: flipping-off cops: It's a stupid thing to do, first of all. I feel for cops. They're paid to clean up the messes left by our society. I don't blame them for being pissed off. Also, how a cop behaves depends on the quality of his/her supervision. Cops know what they can get away with and what they can't. I say be good to them, 'cause you don't know their hearts.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

What Henry Ford knew, but Today's Industrial Barons have forgotten -

The following occurred to me while digging out from under 3 feet of snow on Friday -

I have a grudging respect for Henry Ford. He was a racist, anti-semetic bastard, but one cannot deny that he knew a thing or two about making money in a manner that can be sustained across generations. So what was it that he knew that's been forgotten today?

Ford recognized that a great, and largely untapped, market could exist for the products his factory was turning out in massive numbers. This market was comprised of the people who worked in that factory. In order to cultivate this market, all he had to do was pay his employees well enough so that they could afford to buy what they were employed to build. Simple, huh.

This is the very simple fact that the neo-liberal economists got dead wrong. It's why I couldn't continue to read Tom Friedmann's "The World is Flat" after the first chapter or so - because every argument in that book follows logically from the flawed assumption that it doesn't matter where you build your factory, or who build your products, as long as you build them as cheaply as you can. Ford realized that it absolutely does!

There's a point of inflection on all the graphs that the Chicago School guys present to reinforce their arguments that they haven't projected their calculations far enough into the future to reach. The global economy depends in a large part on the American consumer market to sell their manufactured goods into. Back in the mid-20th century,
when the majority of those products were built by Americans, who were paid well enough to be able to buy those products, everything worked fine. Now that those same goods are being built in 3rd world nations, by people who have lived in abject poverty for generations and have never had any expectation of being able to acquire the fruits of their labor, we are closing upon that point of inflection.

IF YOU RICH BASTARDS WANNA STAY RICH, THEN YOU'D BETTER BRING OUR JOBS BACK!!!!

Charles in OH (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I was travelling south of Toledo when traffic came to an abrupt stop, tail lights glowing and rear bumpers jutting up. The traffic almost immediately started moving only to repeat the process. Road rage set in as this happened a half-dozen times before I spied the cop positioned in the median. As I approached the officer, I exclaimed to my companions "Its just a f**king cop!" The cop pulled into traffic a few cars behind me and quickly preceded to pass cars until directly behind me. I kept looking in my rearview mirror as he tailed me for a short distance before he pulled me over. He initially claimed his reason for pulling me over was I had drifted across the yellow lane marker and suspected I was under the influence. I assured him I was not impaired and that I had most likely crossed the line while looking at my rearview mirror. He released after letting me know "I am not just a f**king cop."

Laurie Prib (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

In response to flipping off a police officer, especially during a speed trap, I often wave or even blow a kiss. I know what I mean, and they are just confused.

Blue Mark (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Flipping off a cop is incivility and indefensible, as is doing the same to anyone else. But illegal? Hardly.

However, much of the public wouldn't hesistate to call it a crime, depending on the context. for instance, if it is a black Harvard professor, it is clearly disorderly conduct and he deserves to be hauled off to jail. If it is a Tea Party protestor - he is a patriot acting in opposition to government tyranny - and should be seen as a hero.

Context is everything.

Jeremy (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

""Thousands of the nation’s largest water polluters are outside the Clean Water Act’s reach because the Supreme Court has left uncertain which waterways are protected by that law, according to interviews with regulators. ""

This story appeared on NYTimes.com early in the morning and then disappeared from the front page cue. Please talk about this Thom. The Supreme Court represents a clear and present danger to our lives and liberties...

Bob Lederer (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Tom just spoke about Barak Obama being uptight about standing against many things that GWB pushed/did or fear that he will be considered or called weak.

Did you notice that Obama signed off on a one-year continuation of the Patriot Act on Saturday evening?

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Here is my belief. If you cannot have health insurance for a pre-existing health problem, you should be deferred from military service for the same health problem.

Jim R (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Recession is when your neighbor loses their job
Depression is when you lose your job
Recovery is when Obama, Congress and bank CEO's lose their job!

Jeremiah (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Here's my police story.
I'm 31 and from a small town. In my teens a neighbor got angry with my father for pushing his dog out of the way with his foot. He called him and accused him of kicking the dog. There was heated back and forth arguing, and my father hung up. The neighbor shows up at our house, yelling, and telling him to come out and fight him. My father calls the police. The police tell him that they have other things on their plate and they can't come. While he is on the phone with the police, the neighbor is still yelling. My father says, "Can you hear him?" The officer says that he can, but they still can't send anybody. Think that's bad? That's not the end of the story.

Years later, in my 20's, my father gets into an argument with a different neighbor. This time, he's in the wrong. But despite the fact that he was being a jerk, he didn't make any threats or say that he wanted to beat anyone up. Later that day, the police show up, and tell him that the neighbor said he was making threats. They said that if they got another call, he would be brought up on charges. Why is it that the police could show up for a neighbor who said my father was making threats, but they couldn't show up when they actually heard a guy on the phone threatening my father?

In my mid-twenties, a found out a possible reason why. I got called for jury duty for the first time. I don't follow local politics, so that was when I learned that a judge on the court and the neighbor for whom the police came share the same last name. I don't know if that were a coincidence, or if they were actually related, but I think that at the very least the police decided not to blow it off just to be safe.

Since then, I have had some moving violations, and have had to pay some fines. Had the police actually shown up when I needed them, I might have been able to stomach paying the fines. However, my experience has given me a negative view of police, and I feel that, for the most part, they are very deserving of the middle finger. Instead of getting upset at the person who gives them the finger, maybe they should talk to him and find out why. They need to ask themselves not what they should do about people giving them the finger, but what they can do to clean up their image so that no one has the desire to give them the finger. My story pales in comparison to many of the horror stories with police out there. If someone wants to give them the finger, it is protected free speech, and it is probably for a good reason.

mathboy (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I have an idea for what Thom can use to cover the apple logo on his computer. Make up a bumper sticker like the one that appeared on The Colbert Report a while ago. After Sarah Palin said at the Tea Bag Convention, "How's all that hopy changy stuff workin' out for ya?" Colbert said her new slogan was: Palin 2012: Abandon All Hope Of Anything Ever Changing

Any Palin supporter who sees this will think you're with them, and everyone else will get the joke and think you're with them.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Here is my prediction. As Americans wise up, they will revolt to take back their country. With the U. S. Military Forces and the Blackwater Mercenary Group working in unison they will slaughter Americans who speak out against corporations and the government, American blood will flow on the American streets like raging rivers. We will have Americans killing Americans.

moonbat666 (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Mark, I think that most people voted for Obama because they didn't buy into the red-necked, dumb-ass, Bible-thumping, science- hating, retrograde idiot throwback Sarah Palin. The war monger, old John wasn't that appealing either.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Moral decisions in and of themselves cannot be considered immoral unless you know proportionality. There are three actions to consider in proportionality, such as intentions, circumstances, and consequences. I cannot judge Bush and Obama but I have perceptual opinions.

Here are my perceptual opinions regarding Bush’s attack and Obama’s policies and practices upon Iraq.

1. Intention – Bush wanted to make him look like a big man to his father and to himself. Oil may have also been an intention as well as permanent military bases. Obama’s continuous policies and practices of the Bush administration reveal more clearly that oil is a big factor in our attack of Iraq.

2. Circumstances – Bush lied to Americans that Iraq was an imminent threat to America’s safety and security. Obama offers more elegance in his lying to the American people. If we do not go into Iraq, they will come here and we will no longer be safe and secure. Do we feel safer and more secure now? The American government controls Americans through fear. Our government will always find a scapegoat to blame and in turn to control our people more and more.

3. Consequences – Bush’s decisions laid the groundwork for war crimes, mass murders, crimes against humanity, torture, and rape of a foreign land. Americans have their freedoms and rights taken from them through the Patriot Acts. Obama has also embraced the Patriot Acts and the war in Iraq. Both Bush and Obama are war criminals.

America’s economy is such that the middle class is being dissolved. Contracts are given to boyfriends and Americans do not know where the money is going.

Bush’s attack upon Iraq raises proportionality to a level that his decision to attack Iraq is an immoral act. Obama continues a disproportional attack upon Middle Eastern countries, such as Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Yemen. There is also a sense of eagerness to attack Iran. Grave eternal consequences are upon these persons and their souls and also with the people and their souls who have agreed with these brutal and inhumane actions upon the Middle Eastern people.

DCaroline (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Thom, just a reminder--public libraries are not free. They are another example of the good we do with our tax contributions. We all buy all types of entertainment and educationsl resources/materials and share access to them via the public libraries. They just FEEL free :-) SUPPORT your public library!!

mstaggerlee (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@Gerald - Thanx for spreading the sunshine, dude! :(

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I want to see more people involved in politics who want to take back our country. I have for at least thirty years felt we need more women in charge and in leadership positions that includes every country on this planet. I want women who have two characteristics in charge of countries. These two characteristics are nurturing and sensitivity. I also want people involved in politics who have the same characteristics of nurturing and sensitivity. People with nurturing and sensitivity are people centered and they want the best for all Americans and not only for corpo-persons and rich persons. When I heard the person with the Coffee Party, she has appeared to be a people person. We need more people persons involved in politics.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee, with the sad face on your post my guess is that you do not see my comments as sunshine.

Charles in OH (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Could the Repubs announcement to hold investigations of the Obama administration, particularly Obama and Holder, be a preemptive attack to rally the bigots to put them blacks back in their place?

moonbat666 (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Jeremiah, Giving any cop the finger is a bad idea. There are many ways to be cited for driving. If there is a defect on your auto, you can be cited. A dirty license plate, any bulb not working, and a whole bunch more. If you're a black man you can be pulled over for a DWB. Driving while black. is a very common reason to get pulled over in predominately white neighborhoods.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

To mstaggerlee and others,

Let me start by saying if you want to focus your anger at someone or something, you may want to focus your anger on me. Please do not focus your anger on God and blame him for the way you feel. And, most certainly, do not blaspheme against God. Try to refocus your anger, exhaustion, anxiety, frustration, stress, and feelings of hostility on an object, place, or thing. God has given you and me a free will. It is what we do with our free will that has consequences. Since God loves us, He has given us the freedom to choose right or wrong in our lives and the consequences of these choices in our lives.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness and a person is guilty of an eternal sin. Blasphemy is showing contempt or lack of reverence for God. Since Jesus is the Son of God, a person who is showing contempt and lack of reverence for Jesus, commits an eternal sin and never has forgiveness. Irreverence to God damns a person’s soul.

Charell (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Thom, please ask Howard Dean about the Health Care Clinics that Senator Sanders put in the bill. Remember? That's why I won Member of the Day on Friday.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

To mstaggerlee and others,

The American government is fighting in wars that do not meet the Just War Theory.

Fighting in wars that are wrong and immoral means we are committing mortal sins and such wars meet the criteria for a mortal sin. Here are the criteria for a mortal sin – GRAVE MATTER, FULL KNOWLEDGE, AND COMPLETE CONSENT.

Quark (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Former Senate Parliamentarian Says Conrad is Wrong

According to former Senate parliamentarian Robert Dove, the parliamentarian's decision on whether or not reconciliation can be used on legislation has only the legal weight of a RECOMMENDATION (and Sen. Kent Conrad's assertion that reconciliation can't be used for healthcare legislation is WRONG!). The V.P. (Joe Biden) can overrule a decision with which he doesn't agree. Video:

Thomas Jode (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Praise to the Coffee Party!!! Showing that just like coffee, there is something that all Americans of every walk of life have in common: the heirarchy in this country is hurting the middle class, the common populace, We The People, starting with healthcare and denying us right to "Life" then "Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". Let this party become the new original "Tea Party". I am going to join them and make the change we all really can believe in.

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Eternal wars are a big part of America's agenda.

Skip Nelson (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I find it high ironic and curious that the Teapartiers of 1773 protested a Corporate tax cut and advocated replacing a system that favored Aristocracy with democracy.

The current Teapartiers are in favor of tax cuts to Corporations and advocate a system that favors Aristocracy over protecting democracy.

mstaggerlee (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@Gerald -

I am not angry with you - I feel you are somewhat misguided (as, no doubt, YOU feel I am), but I harbor no ill will towards you. But no, sir, I do not consider phrases like "American blood will flow on the American streets like raging rivers." as Sunshiny.

I do feel that you are a bit premature in calling President Obama a War Criminal for not having undone in a year what it took GWB 8 years to get done. I for one, am still confident that Obama's intentions are better than those of our past several Presidents, and that there is some reason to be hopeful about the future. In Iraq, he's trying to arrange our exit in such a way as to minimize the power vacuum that a precipitous withdrawal would create. In Afghanistan, I think what we're REALLY doing is trying to repay the debt we owe that nation from the "Charlie Wilson's War" period. The Afghanis were as responsible as anyone for the collapse of the Soviet Union, But once that threat was neutralized, we forgot to take care of those who helped it to happen. Civilian deaths are an unfortunately predictable, but unintended consequence of our actions there, at this time.

You seem to live in a binary world, Gerald ... everything is absolute - good or evil, black or white, godlike or satan-ish. My world has far more than 256 shades of gray.

One more bit of advice, Gerald, for future reference - Don't play the God card in a game with a bereaved parent. That bucket holds no water at all with me. If It was "God's Plan" that I spend 20 years raising a child only to bury him, for reasons that you apparently feel that are beyond my understanding (or your own) then I have no use or respect for your God or his plan.

glenn n (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Here is an easy way out of the health care "stalemate". Just listen to the Rebpublicans. Their latest talking point is "We need to start over."
Another complaint of theirs is the bill is too long and complicated and they can't read it.
So just follow their advice. Start over and keep it simple.
MEDICARE FOR ALL.
End of story, and have the democrats grow a spine and pass it with reconciliation.
What the people need is health care, and not timid politicians worrying about how their careers will shape up if they vote for reform.

KMH (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@Charell- I though of you today because I wanted to tweet the connection you made in your statement.

Ironically, I signed in today to give THX to the Thom Hartmann Show for the wonderful delivery of The Edison Gene- which is perfect for me. I actually even threw away a hand from Move On the other day because their new field operation seems way too wimpy for me! I am a hunter no doubt! My book review will be up right after taxes in a month or so.

KMH (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Oh- and just to redeem myself as a new and burgeoning science writer, a comment was left on one of my articles re Deep Ecology. Apparently, per a comment left for me, I may not have made the connection between the destruction of 'Elfland' and the suicide of Chancellor Denice Denton, who jumped 44 floors to her death. The connection I hoped to make was the mind set of the University of California is becoming corporatized so much that even one of the nation's toughest women (who took on Larry Summers in fact and getting 50 million for them in recompense) was also destroyed. The coporatization and selling out of ourselves by kiiling our connection with the natural world is a new field of psychology known as Ecopsychology. Per these principles, Dentin became disconnected from being put in charge of plans to rid the Deep Ecologists in exchange for a Corporate one. In the process, she began to hate herself. This led to depression and final death. I do not know if that is what happened, one can only surmise. However, I have revised that article. It is available by clicking on the hyperlink that is my name here. Any construction criticism is always welcome, as writing is a new hat for me:)

Gerald Socha (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee, thank you for your comments! I am sorry to read of your loss. I am commenting on God for people who quickly blame God for problems, such as our economic problems. We can choose to live in a better world. A president who continues to emphasize the George W's policies is a war criminal. Courage is needed for leadership and the Democrats seem to lack courage. I loathe George W but right or wrong he expressed himself. I am more of a gray person but at times I need to express some shock and awe. As far as our streets flowing with American blood as raging rivers, I do see this happening. I have read an article around the start of the twenty-first century that more Christian blood will flow in the twenty-first century than in the previous twenty centuries.

Thomas Jode (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Thank you, Thom.

moonbat666 (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure that if anyone actually read the Bible, they would have to conclude that God was a genicidal mamiac. To believe in any god is only a belief in a belief, usually the ones that your parents brain-washed you in as a child. Don't worry about an invisible entity somewhere in the sky. Religion poisens thought, and the Bible is full of contradictions. The Bible is a book of hatred toward gay people and the subordination of women, and who at other times and places have with biblical authority for slavery and ethnic cleansing.

moonbat666 (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

@Gerald............Pope Pius X11 wrote letters of praise to Hitler. The current pope was in fact in the Hitler youth. He said he was forced. I don't buy it, and if he was a man or child of God he would have resisted or at least died for his faith. It's about power.

k9dude (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

KICK THE BUMS OUT.
It should be easy.
There's only 41 of them.

Craig Reid (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

It would seem most logical to me that the key to taking back our country is to begin with wrestling the megaphone out of the hands of the extreme right wing radicals.
Putting immense pressure on Pres. Obama - all together, all at once might persuade him to "Shemanate" the giant media monopolies. Until then they will always drown out our message with their lies.

Craig Reid (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Thom - I would like to suggest that whenever you have a robust debate with a right wing guest that you follow up with an analysis of their talking points and the code they use to linguistically manipulate us to believe their twisted point of view.

Lorne (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

We need to find alternatives to our lifestyles in the US and show the world we were wrong with our gaining of supposed wealth. We modeled our lives for other countries like China and India, and they saw how we lived and now they want it and they are getting it. If we reduce our gas consumption either by taxation or other constraints, it will cheapen the gas for every other developing country, greenhouse gasses will not be reduced. What we need to do, is reduce consumption world wide, and we need to learn to do it while living a "rich" lifestyle.

Ultimately I would like to see solar, wind and tidal power production for our needs. A huge tax on gas would be regressive and people would turn to electric cars which until a new alternative infrastructure was developed, we would burn coal at full capacity. Don't forget gas can power generators as well which power-plants could take advantage of unless gas was taxed for that.

Our lives have become car centric and we spend too much of our earnings on it. I'd rather have more time to live and experience life than work for driving.

Lorne (not verified) 4 years 33 weeks ago

Oops I posted this on Monday's page
Lorne March 3rd, 2010, 9:58 am

We need to find alternatives to our lifestyles in the US and show the world we were wrong with our gaining of supposed wealth. We modeled our lives for other countries like China and India, and they saw how we lived and now they want it and they are getting it. If we reduce our gas consumption either by taxation or other constraints, it will cheapen the gas for every other developing country, greenhouse gasses will not be reduced. What we need to do, is reduce consumption world wide, and we need to learn to do it while living a “rich” lifestyle.

Ultimately I would like to see solar, wind and tidal power production for our needs. A huge tax on gas would be regressive and people would turn to electric cars which until a new alternative infrastructure was developed, we would burn coal at full capacity. Don’t forget gas can power generators as well which power-plants could take advantage of unless gas was taxed for that.

Our lives have become car centric and we spend too much of our earnings on it. I’d rather have more time to live and experience life than work for driving.

"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places
"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World