Daily Topics - Wednesday April 21 2010

Daily Topics - Wednesday April 21 2010

Hour One - What does outing Senator Lindsey Graham have to do with immigration reform? William Gheen www.alipac.us

Hour Two - "The 5 Grossest American Fast Food Ideas" Brian Merchant www.alternet.org

Plus...Do we need more regulation in the fast food industry to save us from ourselves? Dan Gainor www.businessandmedia.org

Hour Three - Why I will Vote Republican plus....Is there are new yardstick for Greed?

Comments

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

I came across the following eulogy to John McCain's integrity on the editorial page of my local paper this morning -

I find nothing in the content of the piece linked above that I can say I disagree with, BUT ...

Seems to me that anybody who treads the waters of the journalistic "profession" these days has gotta have hiimself a pair of big, heavy, hairy huevos to toss around high-falutin' words like "integrity". Yes, Mr. Kettle, that pot IS black - but check yerself, dude!

Are you giving us the WHOLE story about Goldman-Sachs and the causes of the financial meltdown? Are you publishing stories about how 47% of American households paid no Federal Income tax last year, while conveniently ignoring the billion-dollar-plus Federal tax refund to GE, and the hunderds of millions refunded to Exxon-Mobil?

Speaking as one who is proud to be one of those Progressives that Glenn Beck has vowed to "hunt down", I'd respectfully suggest that you take a look at the lies and half-truths you've been publishing as "News", before you impugn another man's integrity on your editorial page.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

@mstagerlee, why does the statement "Glen Beck hunting down liberals" suddenly conjure up several various clips of Elmer Fudd out hunting?

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

This guests' (Gheen) proof is basically this, I have real gud Gaydar.

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

Who cares if Lindsey Graham is gay? The real situation of note is that so many gays have taken refuge in the Republican Party to hide that aspect of their lives. It is sad and I truly feel bad for them. I would think their lives must be very stressful as a result.

Maybe someone should accuse William Gheen of being related to Ed. They both seem to need people's "hides." (Bad pun, I know...) Unfortunately, Ed's last name is spelled differently --- Gein.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Thom, Thom, Thom.. you keep saying progressives need to start using sound byte language like the cons do, then you use their labels. Don't call it "Free" Trade, call it what it is "Anarchy" Trade, trade with out rules and regulations. I believe the majority of your audience is smart enough to automatically know what you're saying if you just re-labeled it and used it.

Or am I wrong everybody?

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

Last night, Jon Stewart got tea party leader John O'Hara to look at the inflammatory language he (O'Hara) and other teapartiers use. Very interesting conversation and almost satisfying. Second and third video clip on the following URL (the first clip is good, too, but unrelated):

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

Nels,

I'm SO with you! This is one of the things that frustrates me!

Minny's picture
Minny 4 years 26 weeks ago

Bringing in undocumented workers has done a lot to bust unions and lower safety and general working standards but another side of this is often overlooked. These undocumented workers have families and friends that often follow them. Many are not employed and have overwhelmed the social safety net, including welfare, Medicaid, and public housing. I believe this, too, was by design.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

I watched that last night Quark. O'Hara really tried to side-step the issue, I loved it when Stewart suggested using "Tea-Bagger" in the title of his book. O'Hara didn't like that one bit, f'n hilarious.

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

Nels,

Yes, I laughed out loud!

constans1's picture
constans1 4 years 26 weeks ago

Mark K: Apparently in Arizona, being brown is a crime. A bill passed by the Arizona legislature requiring police in the state to demand proof of legal status from anyone they merely “suspect” of being an illegal immigrant goes beyond even what Joe Arpaio has done. Let’s not kid ourselves, once you open this door, it will go beyond discomfiting only Latinos; what constitutes “proof” that you happen to be carrying on you is entirely at the discretion of the police officer, but for now it allows indiscriminate racial profiling without need for any justification. I have already pointed out the numbers here: most Latinos in the country are not only legal residents, but U.S. citizens. The problem, of course, is that racists think that every Latino they see is illegal, or may be one. To racists—whose beliefs are usually rooted in the many myths that have been circulated by the right (and left-wing “populists”)—Latinos merely represent another “threat” to white hegemony. Of course, Anglos in states with large Latino populations do have something fear, if only because of the way they have treated them; I have mentioned here before that every Democrat in Texas’ House of Representatives is Latino (and none are Republican), and every county that Obama won in the state in 2008 had a heavy concentration of Latino voters.

The question for now is just how racist are Arizona’s police officers; since Thom is a fan of Firesign Theatre, perhaps he recalls their skit “Deputy Dan Has No Friends” in which a Spanish-language primer for children is being translated. I can tell you from my own experience (especially in regard to Kent police), that if you look Latino, you are automatically a subject of suspicion; I mentioned here an incident where a cop demanded “proof” that I had a storage unit after he watched me use the key pad to the unit and followed me in. Nothing I said or showed him was sufficient “proof,” and he continued to detain me until the manager arrived and vouched for me.

But the difference is that the police here have not been publically given the go-ahead to practice racial profiling without reasonable justification (at least my many complaints about police harassment have been acknowledged). But the Arizona law will allow indiscriminate racial profiling; there are no guidelines on determining who is or isn’t an illegal alien, only an officer’s “suspicion” that could be entirely arbitrary or based on personal prejudice (I doubt the police will practice their prejudice against the nine percent of illegals who are European). One way to fight this, until a comprehensive immigration law is passed that creates a common sense work visa program (particularly one that takes into account how free trade with the U.S. has destroyed the livelihoods of many of Mexico’s poorest people), is for legal defense organizations to start keeping track of Latinos who are U.S. citizens who are detained under this law—especially those who couldn’t “prove” their citizenship and were locked-up—in order to prepare for a class-action law-suit against the state for massive civil rights violations. If nothing else, it would be hugely embarrassing PR for the state and Republicans.

I have to say that I disagree with those who say that we can “solve” the problem of illegal immigration by going after “illegal” employers, such as agricultural enterprises, and putting them out of business. The real problem there, as I have said many times here, is the nonsensical and prohibitively expensive work visa program that ignores the fact that there isn’t a “native” work force willing to do the required work that will keep these businesses, which must compete with imported produce, viable. Just imagine if we were dependent on imported food as well as oil.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Hey, Quark, how did you like Stewart's skit prior to O'Hara, where he to Fox to task about their "Fairly Unbalanced" (I refuse to use their tagline) BS, and their recent comments about the Daily Show?

Parts of it I thought was over the top, but he made some really stinging points that I enjoyed immensely.

constans1's picture
constans1 4 years 26 weeks ago

Also, the other night I was trying to find “Coast-to-Coast” on the AM dial in the dark, and ended-up on the “wrong” side. I knew I was wayward because I encountered a radio station I didn’t know existed, even in “progressive” Seattle. There was a song playing that I had never heard before, but it was the kind of string-laden Philly Soul that I instinctively liked. The station catered to those who hold to the old school soul and R&B mentality. I continued to listen for awhile until they played a song I didn’t care for much, and left in search of my prior destination. What I mean by “mentality”—I’m sure there is a better word, I just can’t think of it at the moment—is that the commercials tended to be public service and community outreach in nature. One voice-over guy who sounded like Don Cornelius at one point intoned “Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere.” Wow. You don’t hear that kind of stuff on hip-hop stations, or any other music stations that kids listen to, for that matter. This must be a generational thing; back in the 60s and 70s, the lines between justice and injustice were not so open to debate.

I recently purchased the DVD of the film “Black Dynamite,” which almost no one saw in theaters, but generally received good reviews. It sends-up the old blaxploitation genre through a comic-book lens, but retains the genre’s unmistakable political edge. You got to love a movie that knows that the trail of injustice leads all the way to the Honky House: “I should have known it was you all along, Tricky Dick.” Yes, those were the days when you could laugh and be informed at the same time by TV shows like “All in the Family” and “The Jeffersons.” You won’t even find stuff like that on cable television these days. It doesn’t sell. People just don’t want to watch anything that suggests that they might have to get off their fundaments and do something, let alone stand for something.

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

Nels,

I loved that "bit" too. I am amazed that Stewart can put together such great pieces on such a continuous basis.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Immigration doesn't bother me, legal or illegal. What bothers me is that many companies are breaking the law by not only hiring illegals, but compounding it by paying less then adequate wages, not providing proper training and safety and using fear and intimidation to keep their workers in line (I'm certain this list could be added to). Laws are already on the books that address this issue, but they're rarely if ever enforced. Telling someone that they don't qualify for the rights we find to be self-evident because they selfishly choose to be born in another country doesn't sit well with me. People that clamor about illegal aliens are doing nothing less then spitting on the Statue of Liberty and the principals this country was founded on.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Whoa, whoa, whoa, KTLK just had a news brief about an explosion and missing workers on a Oil Rig in the Gulf of Mexico! Anyone have any info on this yet? Oil Slicks, possible causes? Anything?

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

@ Quark, re: BTW, I could name more despicable members (especially in its leadership) of the Republican Party than Graham! (I won't, though.)

Gotta say, though ... "Foreclosure Phil", the man who almost single-handedly tore down the Glass-Steagle wall between Commercial Banks and Investment Banks, and called us all "a bunch of whiners" 2 days before the meltdown, is pretty damn high on MY list of despicable Rethuglicans.

rladlof's picture
rladlof 4 years 26 weeks ago

My e-mail yesterday to Senator Boxer, Senator Feinstein and Representative Berman:

"If you all good folk in Washington DC are serious about cleaning up the economic mess, you will:

1. REPEAL the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), also known as the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999;
  2. Reinstate the entire Glass-Steagall Act, AKA the Banking Act of 1933;
  3. Reinstitute the rest of the New Deal protections;
  4. Force the DLC White House to enforce the Sherman Anti-trust acts . . . Over Executive Order 12291, issued by President Reagan on February 17, 1981; AND
  5. Get President Obama to do the righteous thing and fire Ben Bernanke and Timothy Geithner.

Until these things are done . . . Our Great Country remains unsafe from another economic disaster."

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Grossest thing I ever eaten... pig intestines.

Zero G's picture
Zero G 4 years 26 weeks ago

What is given short shrift in the immigration debate is the way US foreign policy and trade policy drive migration patterns. The history of US supported coups, death squads, drug wars, market manipulations, etc., drive massive population exodus.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Well said (written) rladlof.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

mmmm Taco Bells' Double Decker Tacos... luv them even though I get heartburn from them everytime.

Zero G's picture
Zero G 4 years 26 weeks ago

Workers Missing After Oil-Rig Explosion

By GUY CHAZAN , RUSSELL GOLD And BEN CASSELMAN

Twelve people were missing and seven critically injured after an explosion and fire at an oil-drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

Four Coast Guard helicopters and an airplane are being used in rescue operations and five Coast Guard cutters are also responding, the Coast Guard said. "We are still in a search and rescue operation," Transocean spokesman Greg Panagos said.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

What about fried Twinkies?

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Mark K re: The real problem there, as I have said many times here, is the nonsensical and prohibitively expensive work visa program that ignores the fact that there isn’t a “native” work force willing to do the required work that will keep these businesses, which must compete with imported produce, viable.

That, as well, is a neocon meme, Mark. There are PLENTY of "citizens" willing to work - just not for slave wages. Hey, Big Agro! - so sorry that we're not willing to work for a nickel an hour, like the 6-year-olds who pick your crops in Clile are.

In the long run though, Mark (referring to the ENTIRE post now), I kinda think this will eventually blow up in the faces of Arizona's lawmakers. I mean, in a state that gets as much strong sunshine as Arizona does, can one REALLY tell who's darker than who? Heck, my own Yiddishe Grandma, who'd spend the afternoons of her days off in the summer on a bench on the boardwalk of Brooklyn's Brighton Beach, would get WAY darker than any member of the Obama family by August!

Zero G's picture
Zero G 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Maxrot,

They [fried twinkies] were found in a lunch box on the oil rig...

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

The Los Angeles County Fair is a virtual treasure trove of deep fried everything, Snickers Bars, Macaroni, Twinkies, Cheese,.... to name a few. Perhaps Thom should plan on taking a trip to LA at the end of August... it'll blow is Vegetarian status away just walking through the oil heavy atmosphere of the place.

N

Quark's picture
Quark 4 years 26 weeks ago

mstaggerlee,

Yes, Phil and Wendy Graham are pretty bad.

I realize I wasn't very clear in my previous comment. I meant I could mention other, more despicable Republicans --- especially in the leadership --- who happen to be gay...(I have an inside "source.")

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

Disgusting Foods

Full disclosure - I did NOT eat the item described below, but 3 other people at my table did!

Last August, we went up to Utica NY, for a concert in the Courtyard of the Saranac Brewery. We got to the area early, and went looking for someplace to have dinner before the show. We probably should not have been too surprised that the only businesses in the area of thw brewery were bars, but we were a bit taken aback by how few actually served food.

So we sat ourselves down at a table in the least objectionable-looking institution, and the waitress told us aboutr the day's "special" - Dan's Meat Loaf Surprise!

Are ya ready for this, kiddies - Meat Loaf, stuffed with Macaroni and Cheese and (here's the kicker - the 3 words no suicide-eater can resist) wrapped in Bacon!

Can ya FEEL the Cholesterol, children?

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Gainor, why should the burden be placed on me to hunt down the nutrition status of foods, for every place I might want to go?

Diet soda is such a misnomer, there is no evidence that its less fating, but there is evidence that its even more difficult for your liver to process the sugar substitute.

N

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

Gainor, now-a-days most people don't even have a Job (physical or office)... jackass.

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

Oh yes - I almost forgot - when we left the Bar that served Dan's Meat Loaf Surprise, and went into the concert grounds, the snack bar there had the PERFECT follow-up for dessert -

DEEP-FRIED OREOS!

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee, does that meatloaf come with chili-cheese fries (salivating, I eagerly await your answer)?

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

mstaggerlee, you say Deep Fried Oreos like that's a bad thing.

harumman's picture
harumman 4 years 26 weeks ago

The Double Down is available in a grill chicken breast version too. Only 460 calories vs. 540 for the fried version. I thought they both would be higher. Amazingly a BigMac is exactly the same, 540 calories. I think KFC is getting what they wanted if it's just a buzz going. The double Down is not good but no worse then a BigMac.

Zero G's picture
Zero G 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Maxrot,

Though Zero G's great uncle that fought on the other side, now that's a person's story I would like to hear (I know so very little about the Austrian-Balkan campaigns).

I wish I could give you a story. All I ever knew about him was an old black and white photo of a young man who looked remarkably like my dad, wearing one of those old spiked helmets.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

harumann, is no worse then a BigMac, the similar to the concept no worse then a Atom Bomb?

Just wondering what our scale of bad, worse and worst is?

N

rladlof's picture
rladlof 4 years 26 weeks ago

I am sure that Dan Gainor is kind to animals and a wonderful human being. Although the views he expresses regularly on this show tend to display sociopathic tendencies . . . Literately directed towards the destruction of the cohesive nature of society and to the detriment of the least amongst us, but they are not a reflection upon him or his character.

Sigh.

constans1's picture
constans1 4 years 26 weeks ago

Since Thom is talking about fast food, isn't it interesting how fast food commercials always portray their products as so big that you can barely hold them up with two hands? I saw the McDonalds ad for the so-called "Big Mac Wrap" for a buck-49. It was huge. I never go to McDonalds because it is so expensive, but I decided to check-out what appeared to be a real "bargain." But I should have known better. It was 80 percent "wrap."

Dan Gainor looks a bit chubby-cheaked to me, so he's probably a bit self-conscious. But it never ceases to amaze that anything that informs people about potentially negative effects--whether in food, the workplace, the environment, in life itself--the right opposes.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Zero G, Pikelhaube (correct name of that spiked helmet). You never know who in your family might know something, or have some written documentation from family research and all. That's how I came across my great Uncle's volunteering story. My dad's WWII experiences I keep getting a little bit more and more from him from time to time.

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Mark K, re: it never ceases to amaze that anything that informs people about potentially negative effects--whether in food, the workplace, the environment, in life itself--the right opposes.

Yes - the right supports your right to be born - ONLY! ... from there on, son, YER ON YER OWN!!!

constans1's picture
constans1 4 years 26 weeks ago

Before I sign-off today, I think it should be pointed out the group "Americans For Legal Immigration"--whose website is a fascinating amalgamation of paranoid racist fantasies fueled by exaggerations and lies--is on the Southern Poverty Law Center's hatewatch list as a fanatical nativist organization.

harry ashburn 4 years 26 weeks ago

I assume ya'll have seen the Gov. Pataki "Paul Revere" ads on TV? the petition to repeal the health care act? I watch it with the sound off and yell out: "The Liberals are Coming! The Coloreds are Coming!" Its kind of funny that way.

Maxrot 4 years 26 weeks ago

A local restaurant (Salazars) has one of my favorite deep fried foods, deep fried Ice Cream, wrap your mind around that concept. Apparently its not specific to the restaurant, I can pick up 1/2 gallons of the flavor from Dreyers. Not as good as fresh though.

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 26 weeks ago

@Mark K - I'll betcha a week's pay that the SPLC also shows up on several lists of fanatical left-wing organization on numerous neocon sites.

And so it goes ...

harry ashburn 4 years 26 weeks ago

re; food: I tried to eat a "Hot Pocket" one time. There were little slabs of a food-like substance that were supposed to be ham,and a yellowish substance that was supposed to be cheese. But the bread crust tasted like it was full of sugar! WTF?

Nick2010's picture
Nick2010 4 years 26 weeks ago

The anti-immigrant tea-bagger excuse for "outing" Sen. Lindsey Graham is revolting and immoral -- i.e. that "queers," like undocumented aliens, are "them," not "us," so must be stopped. That position should be condemned in the strongest terms, as Thom did on his show this morning.

However, the hypocrisy rule of journalism still applies to Sen. Graham. He has been a vigorous anti-gay politician throughout his career, voting for repulsive laws like the so-called Defense of Marriage Act. In this case his own sexual orientation is a legitimate matter of public interest.

That's not outing; it's reporting.

Zero G's picture
Zero G 4 years 26 weeks ago

I haven't asked my dad about that photo in years, or even what happened to it. It used to be at my grandfather's summer home in upstate NY..., back when a waiter (union) could own a summer home... My grandparents have been gone for a long time.

A dish that I used to enjoy at my grandparent's which we used to consider a delicacy, but most find well, questionable at best is cholent, a bean and fatty meat combo that was put into the oven before sundown on Friday, and served after the Sabbath ended the day after, in keeping with the Kosher dietary laws.

On the non-Kosher side, I'm fond of geoduck, (giant clam) but, have you seen one of those whole?

Nick2010's picture
Nick2010 4 years 26 weeks ago

That's not outing; it's reporting.

Draconoskirojin's picture
Draconoskirojin 4 years 26 weeks ago

For all topics above:

The "Is Lindsey Graham gay"... that's not really important. It's just like our country to want to pry into individual lives.

As for the Arizona Law on the governors desk:

It's very offensive!!! It's condoning racial profiling which is racism. I'm not an immigrant... nor in Arizona... nor of Hispanic descent but I am biracial (half black and half white) and have often been mistaken as other races. Even at 25 I know what it's like to have my identity questioned. I know what it's like to be followed in stores because the employees think minorities steal. How many people in Arizona are just from Mexican descent or are native americans?

And for the worst thing I've ate:

The worst thing I've had was natto (rotten beans curd) while I was in Japan. I had a few interesting things there (squid ice cream... potato ice cream... "mountain root"... whole horse mackerel bones and all... and pickled umes) and I'm not picking... but natto by far is pretty bad.

Though I'm wondering if really the genetically modified foods is also contributing to our weight gain. I personally don't eat fast food, pre-packaged foods, soda, and pre-made mixes. I also RARELY eat sweets (like ice cream) and if I do I make it myself. While I was in Japan I had exercise and was eating 3 meals a day. There I was dropping pounds like they were water. Here... I eat 1.5 meals a day (far lower than the recommended calorie count), exercise daily, and have gained some (not tons but enough for me to notice) and am just trying to maintain that. What if it's something going into the raising and force growing of the foods? As if there is a chemical there before it goes to the store?

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.

"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"Beneath the success and rise of American enterprise is an untold history that is antithetical to every value Americans hold dear. This is a seminal work, a godsend really, a clear message to every citizen about the need to reform our country, laws, and companies."
Paul Hawken, coauthor of Natural Capitalism and author of The Ecology of Commerce