Daily Topics - Thursday - May 6th 2010

Daily Topics - Thursday - May 6th 2010

Hour One - Why do conservatives want to turn America into Pakistan?

Hour Two - Dan Gainor www.businessandmedia.org Should all terrorists on the "terrorist watch list" be able to buy a gun?

Plus...Geeky Science Rocks - can you improve your eyesight with mind over matter?

Hour Three - Roy Speckhardt www.americanhumanist.org Is a government sanctioned "Day of Reason" proof that atheism can be a religion?

Comments

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

Thom, when TR left the Republican party, he took a lot of the progressives in the party with him and formed the Bull Moose Party. After that party failed, the progressives couldn't get back into the Republican party. In other words, TR single-handedly changed the face of the modern Republican party, though not intentionally. When talking about the Republican party pre-TR and post-TR, you really need to make the differentiation.

Also the progressiveness of the Democratic party, came about more so because of FDR, than as an opposing platform to the Republicans. Though that was definitely part of it.

N

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago

I think that the George Rekers Rent-A-Boy situation has finally clarified the NeoCon view of sexuality in my mind, and it's actually far less complicated than I thought. I can state it VERY simply -

ANYTHING GOES - as long as you have the "decency" to be ashamed of it.

Meet John Doh's picture
Meet John Doh 4 years 24 weeks ago

How the oceans were

The recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has people wondering what the effect on the ocean and sea life will be. It reminded me about an interview I heard last Decemember with Callum Roberts author of The Unatural History of the Sea. Roberts researched descriptions of what the oceans were like "back in the day". I took notes and thought I'd share them with you to give you an idea of what the oceans were like a few hundred years ago.

(I'm posting my unedited notes here.I took my notes from an archived program and replayed segments to make sure my notes were accurate. There's even a paragraph that will be of particular interest to Thom.)

The Unnatural History of the Sea by Callum Roberts – York University in England

Descriptions of the sea by mariners of the past:

400 years ago, there were so many whales in Monterrey Bay (California) that sailors were stifled by the stench of whale breath. Whales were unbelievably abundant before we started to hunt them intensely back around the 18th century in the waters of New England and in the 17th century in the arctic. The first (western) sailors that went into Monterrey Bay found hundreds, if not thousands, of whales crowded into this rich place where whales came to feed. The whales came so close to the boats that people complained they were throwing water onto the decks as they blew and they were stifled by the cadaverous stench of their breath (as they put it).

There were sailors who first sailed into the arctic in the 1600s who said that the whales were as common as if they were porpoises. To put that in context, the waters they were sailing from in Europe had really abundant porpoises. An account from 1776 says that the porpoises were so common in the waters around this country that they were noxious to seamen who sailed in small boats and that they darkened the waters as they rose to take breath.

Cod and haddock were so plentiful that if you dropped a weight into the water, it would rest on the backs of these fish until it slowly sank to the bottom. Reports like this, strange as they seem, are repeated in accounts by people from different walks of life, for different purposes and for different audiences, but that have a great deal of consistency.

One such account was from one of the early governors of Newfoundland who said that the cod were often so thick in the water that you could hardly row a boat through them. When you look at the early catch rates of cod, they say that three men could catch a thousand cod in a day. That’s one cod every three minutes for a very long day of fishing. All they had to do was bait the hook, drop the line into the water and they’d immediately have another cod on the line.

Early accounts from explorers in North America state that carrier pigeons, which is now extinct, flew in swarms so large that it would take hours, a whole afternoon, for the swarm to fly overhead (democratically I’m sure).

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee: no, I think they hire someone to be ashamed for them.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

They find them at the "Whipping Boy" website.

Meet John Doh's picture
Meet John Doh 4 years 24 weeks ago

How the oceans were

The Unnatural History of the Sea by Callum Roberts – York University in England

Descriptions of the sea by mariners of the past:

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago

Before the show started today, Thom seemed to have a chat with David Frum scheduled, regarding the divide between Red and Blue America. I found this link on Frum's website -

Excerpt -

Six of the seven states with the lowest divorce rates in 2007, and all seven with the lowest teen birthrates in 2006, voted blue in both elections. Six of the seven states with the highest divorce rates in 2007, and five of the seven with the highest teen birthrates, voted red. It's as if family strictures undermine family structures.

Meet John Doh's picture
Meet John Doh 4 years 24 weeks ago

sorry about that

I refreshed the page and for some reason it reposted my comment. Maybe it's like New York City, a town so good they have to say it twice.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

Hey, that's not to bad of an idea, clay kitty litter absorbs oil. Maybe they should put sandbags full of kitty litter along the shore line. At least it wouldn't be as toxic.

N

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

BP to try unprecedented engineering feat to stop oil spill

If successful, they say, the "pollution containment chamber" could reduce the underwater gusher by more than 80 percent and provide the first success in industry and government efforts to control the spill that began April 20 with an explosion and fire on an offshore rig.

Now BP has started drilling a relief well that eventually could allow them to close off the broken well. However, that would take at least two months to work, Suttles said.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Re: could reduce the underwater gusher by more than 80 percent and provide the first success in industry and government efforts to control the spill

Hmmm

Would that be that nasty socialism the right hates? Or can we assume that BP will be invoiced for the government assistance, and the taxpayers will not have to foot the bill?

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

Supposedly a pound of hair absorbs a quart of oil.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

so we all need to fly over the gulf while cutting our hair.

Foodfascist's picture
Foodfascist 4 years 24 weeks ago

THX for reporting the name of the surfactant. I just called Barbara Boxer, our CA senator. If you or I spill a cup of oil, here comes the slammer, if an oil company spills it.....

desert fox's picture
desert fox 4 years 24 weeks ago

Wait a minute why don't I as a citizen have the right to be protected from others with guns?

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@Desertfox: 'cause police depts. are socialist, don't ya know..

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Re: Is a government sanctioned "Day of Reason" proof that atheism can be a religion?

I would say no, it does not. It seems to me that the use of reason can be applied to spiritual matters as well as atheism, or humanism. Deism is one example of reason being applied to belief in a God.

Foodfascist's picture
Foodfascist 4 years 24 weeks ago

HEre are some images coming in from citizens posting but not vetted by CNN

Please sign this petition:

Members of Congress, House of Representatives, and President Obama:

We the people of this petition demand that you stop accepting any political contributions from all oil corporations to demonstrate your commitment to halting future oil spills and unnecessary off shore drilling that has devastated our oceans and planet.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

i've long suspected McCain suffers from Stockholm Syndrome due to his years of imprisonment. subconsciously, he wants others to be imprisoned.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

re: Can you patent the sun?

If you could, we wouldn't be talking about investing in solar power, we would already have it, as well as paying a monthly Sun Usage bill. Thus making California all that more expensive to live in.

N

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago
mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago

If I understand it correctly, Governor General is largely a figurehead position, representing the British Crown in Canada (Maybe our buddy Rick in Canadia can stop in and correct me if I'm wrong). Ths seems like a GREAT position for Shatner - all bluster, no real power. :-)

Foodfascist's picture
Foodfascist 4 years 24 weeks ago

HEre is a petition to sign from Fire Dog Lake

Stop off shore drilling alltogether to Obama

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Re: Hour Three

"God Gave Us Reason, Not Religion"

From the World Union of Deist

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago

re: Patenting the Sun -

It seems consistent to me that if a Drug company can patent genes grown in MY body, then there's no reason why an Energy company shouldn't be able to patent the sun.

House of Roberts's picture
House of Roberts 4 years 24 weeks ago

Thom needs to look at this blog: http://dailyhurricane.com/

Thom is still claiming the acoustic trigger would have helped stop the leak. Based on what I have read at that site, I don't believe it would have helped.

Love the show, ever since the Air America days.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

@mstaggerlee re: patenting the sun.

Spoken like a true Supreme Court Justice.

N

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

re: patent the sun: I say any gov't that can take possession of it can have it.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Holidays are created for government employees ;)

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

Hey tomorrow is the National Day of Reason, lets get a six pack, some guns and fireworks and party!!! Whoo Hoo!!!!

N

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

Go land on the sun and plant your flag. (I know, you'll go at night.)

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@Drichards, hollidays are made by and for Hallmark.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

If Thom's hollidays bring us closer to nature, nature will just move away.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah lets Nationlize Halloween as an official Holiday. I propose two days off for it, since the festivities take place at night.

(OK, so I'm a Halloween nut, so what.)

N

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

Nature will move into a beach condo in Costa Rica.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

re #37: nahh.. that won't work 'cause of rising sea levels. Nature will move into a beach condo in Nepal.

mstaggerlee's picture
mstaggerlee 4 years 24 weeks ago

Personally, I care not one whit about National Days of Prayer, Reason, or any damn thing - as long as nobody tries to enforce any of them. You wanna pray today - go ahead & pray ... ya don't, then don't. Celebrating reason is also a cool idea - do it if it appeals to you. Just don't bother ME with any of it.

Yesterday was Cinquo De Mayo - did it affect my life? - NO! Earlier this year we had St. Patrick's Day, and later we'll have Pulaski day - neither does anything for me. So you wanna call today the National Day of Prayer? Go right ahead - just don't expect me to drop to my knees.

BTW - What do you suppose would happen if the Government took steps to FORBID a National Day of Prayer? That wouldn't look pretty either, would it?

What we have here is a classic non-issue, and the very best policy is simply - HANDS OFF!

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

@harry, of course Holidays are made for Hallmark, would you rather disasters be made for Hallmark.

Sorry I forgot about your Oil Spill, here's $5 get yourself something special.

Hugs and Kisses,

N

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@Staggerlee; genuflecting is good for the soul, but hard on the knees.

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@maxrot, aww..and I didn't get you anything!

I'll use the $5 to buy some dispersant for my aquarium. ;)

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

Yeah, BP paid me big $$ to drill in my 60- gallon aquarium. But I faked 'em out...I planted fish oil capsules in the gravel.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

It seems to me that the religious right wants to rewrite history. "The National Day of Prayer" is just one of many steps in the pursuit of establishing our government as a Theocracy.

Maxrot's picture
Maxrot 4 years 24 weeks ago

@harry, what a wonderful Aquarium concept, just put a model Oil Rig at the top with a pipe down to the gravel. Peridoically the oil rig can spill oil. No need for fish or filters.

Luv it.

N

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Judge Crabb’s Hate Mail on National Day of Prayer

By Matthew Rothschild, May 5, 2010

Gene Savory's picture
Gene Savory 4 years 24 weeks ago

BP behind Exxon-Valdez spill.

Greg Palast asserts that although Exxon owned the ship, BP was responsible for safety. See http://www.gregpalast.com/slick-operator-the-bp-ive-known-too-well/

DRichards's picture
DRichards 4 years 24 weeks ago

Judge Crabb's hate mail & rewriting history

“You mam [sic] are a disgrace to America,” wrote Michael Yeager. “Only an Anti-Christ individual would deny a national day of prayer. . . . Basically, you have committed treason against God who established our nation.”

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@Maxrot; soon to be a major motion picture!

harry ashburn 4 years 24 weeks ago

@MAxrot well, there would be a few dead fish floating on top.

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.

"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.
From Unequal Protection, 2nd Edition:
"If you wonder why and when giant corporations got the power to reign supreme over us, here’s the story."
Jim Hightower, national radio commentator and author of Swim Against the Current
"Thom Hartmann’s book explains in simple language and with concrete research the details of the Neo-con’s war against the American middle class. It proves what many have intuited and serves to remind us that without a healthy, employed, and vital middle class, America is no more than the richest Third World country on the planet."
Peter Coyote, Actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall