Daily Topics - Monday August 9th, 2010

The New England Salem Children’s Village provides a home and nurturing environment for neglected and emotionally disturbed children. The States are behind in making their payments to kids in care so we need your help, if you can. Even $10 or $25 is helpful. You can donate at www.salemchildrensvillage.org

Quote of the Day: Never has there been a good war or a bad peace. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hour One: Limbaugh, Beck and Planet of the Apes...really?

Hour Two: Countdown to Zero - why the push for nuclear disarmament is even more important than ever - JOe Cirincione of the Ploughshares Fund will be here www.takepart.com/countdowntozero; Plus, aid workers killed in Afghanistan - Robert Greenwald will be here with the latest www.rethinkafghanistan.com

Hour Three: A new study links early puberty in girls, obesity and breast cancer - Dr. Susan Pinney, co-author of the study, will be here http://healthnews.uc.edu/experts/?/2970/

Comments

n8chz's picture
n8chz 5 years 3 weeks ago

1:18 into the show and still no comments? Is it because we have a substitute teacher?

gerald's picture
gerald 5 years 3 weeks ago

@n8chz, Thom has very good substitutes for his show. I have good days for commenting and bad days for commenting. As an American I find that surviving in this numb nuts country very difficult. I will also find myself emotional drained from all the nonsense we hear as news. People will also need a respite from commenting. There is also need for recuperation from all the jackboots stomping on my face.

gerald's picture
gerald 5 years 3 weeks ago

We need nuclear disarmament. These words are smoke and mirrors as well as bait and switch tactics. We hear that America has reached accord with Russia on arms reduction. Yet, our nuclear arsenal grows daily. I am tired of the rhetoric on this subject.

n8chz's picture
n8chz 5 years 3 weeks ago

Yah KPOJ is an excellent stable of substitute teachers, as is the greater Portland area as a whole, I'm sure.

gerald's picture
gerald 5 years 3 weeks ago

Does anyone doubt that once a society ceases to be able to afford schools, public transit, paved roads, libraries and street lights -- or once it chooses not to be able to afford those things in pursuit of imperial priorities and the maintenance of a vast Surveillance and National Security State -- that a very serious problem has arisen, that things have gone seriously awry, that imperial collapse, by definition, is an imminent inevitability?

gerald's picture
gerald 5 years 3 weeks ago
harry ashburn 5 years 3 weeks ago

Dear Gerald: your first post said: " I have good days for commenting and bad days for commenting."

um.....which , do you consider, is today?

gerald's picture
gerald 5 years 3 weeks ago

@harry ashburn, I do not know how to answer. I remember hearing and seeing seven and one half hours of progressive shows for five days. I could not keep pace with those numbers and have a fully functioning brain. I found myself in a numb nut progressive state. Here was my schedule - Thom, three hours, Ed Shultz, two and one half hours (one and one half hours radio and one hour television), Keith, one hour TV, and Rachel, one hour TV. I am down to Thom for three hours.

NPR Needs To Clean Up Their House

What happens when the news media stops covering news objectively - and instead becomes a source of very specific opinions that serve a very narrow agenda?

For example - in the case of the democratic primary - consider the news coverage of the mere possibility of Vice President Joe Biden challenging Hillary Clinton for the Democratic Party's nomination for president.

Latest Headlines

2nd & 4th Husband of KY Clerk who denies issuing Same-Sex Marriage Licenses says “I’m a redneck hillbilly”

By: Joshua De Leon Josh de Leon is a writer and researcher with Ring of Fire www.ringofireradio.com

Guatemalan President Resigns

The depth of the alleged corruption is shocking

Uzbekistan apparently just banned political science studies

Uzbekistan is also known to take aim at pop stars and other cultural figures because the government says they’re not “patriotic” enough
"Never one to shy away from the truth, Thom Hartmann’s collected works are inspiring, wise, and compelling. His work lights the way to a better America."
Van Jones, cofounder of RebuildTheDream.com and author of The Green Collar Economy
"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen
"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth