Daily Topics - Monday August 9th, 2010

Daily Topics - Monday August 9th, 2010

The New England Salem Children’s Village provides a home and nurturing environment for neglected and emotionally disturbed children. The States are behind in making their payments to kids in care so we need your help, if you can. Even $10 or $25 is helpful. You can donate at www.salemchildrensvillage.org

Quote of the Day: Never has there been a good war or a bad peace. -- Benjamin Franklin

Hour One: Limbaugh, Beck and Planet of the Apes...really?

Hour Two: Countdown to Zero - why the push for nuclear disarmament is even more important than ever - JOe Cirincione of the Ploughshares Fund will be here www.takepart.com/countdowntozero; Plus, aid workers killed in Afghanistan - Robert Greenwald will be here with the latest www.rethinkafghanistan.com

Hour Three: A new study links early puberty in girls, obesity and breast cancer - Dr. Susan Pinney, co-author of the study, will be here http://healthnews.uc.edu/experts/?/2970/

Comments

n8chz's picture
n8chz 4 years 11 weeks ago

1:18 into the show and still no comments? Is it because we have a substitute teacher?

gerald's picture
gerald 4 years 11 weeks ago

@n8chz, Thom has very good substitutes for his show. I have good days for commenting and bad days for commenting. As an American I find that surviving in this numb nuts country very difficult. I will also find myself emotional drained from all the nonsense we hear as news. People will also need a respite from commenting. There is also need for recuperation from all the jackboots stomping on my face.

gerald's picture
gerald 4 years 11 weeks ago

We need nuclear disarmament. These words are smoke and mirrors as well as bait and switch tactics. We hear that America has reached accord with Russia on arms reduction. Yet, our nuclear arsenal grows daily. I am tired of the rhetoric on this subject.

n8chz's picture
n8chz 4 years 11 weeks ago

Yah KPOJ is an excellent stable of substitute teachers, as is the greater Portland area as a whole, I'm sure.

gerald's picture
gerald 4 years 11 weeks ago

Does anyone doubt that once a society ceases to be able to afford schools, public transit, paved roads, libraries and street lights -- or once it chooses not to be able to afford those things in pursuit of imperial priorities and the maintenance of a vast Surveillance and National Security State -- that a very serious problem has arisen, that things have gone seriously awry, that imperial collapse, by definition, is an imminent inevitability?

gerald's picture
gerald 4 years 11 weeks ago
harry ashburn 4 years 11 weeks ago

Dear Gerald: your first post said: " I have good days for commenting and bad days for commenting."

um.....which , do you consider, is today?

gerald's picture
gerald 4 years 10 weeks ago

@harry ashburn, I do not know how to answer. I remember hearing and seeing seven and one half hours of progressive shows for five days. I could not keep pace with those numbers and have a fully functioning brain. I found myself in a numb nut progressive state. Here was my schedule - Thom, three hours, Ed Shultz, two and one half hours (one and one half hours radio and one hour television), Keith, one hour TV, and Rachel, one hour TV. I am down to Thom for three hours.

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.

"Right through the worst of the Bush years and into the present, Thom Hartmann has been one of the very few voices constantly willing to tell the truth. Rank him up there with Jon Stewart, Bill Moyers, and Paul Krugman for having the sheer persistent courage of his convictions."
Bill McKibben, author of Eaarth
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While