Is Indiana the new front line for the war on the working class?

Is Indiana the new front line for the war on the working class?

Indiana is screwed as it crept one step closer to becoming the 23rd state in the nation to pass a right-to-work FOR LESS law. The State House passed legislation that was passed by the Senate earlier in the week to bring right-to-work-for-less to the state – putting an end to closed union shops and pitting workers against workers across Indiana, thus killing off the union movement in that state.

The bill now awaits Governor Mitch Daniels' signature who took a break from his war on unions this week to deliver the Republican response to the President’s State of the Union address. Indiana will become the first state in the nation’s manufacturing belt to pass a right-to-work-for-less law – which has been proven to lead to lower wages, less healthcare coverage, and more workplace accidents.

Comments

Blue Mark's picture
Blue Mark 2 years 30 weeks ago

When conservatives say that the economy is being hurt by unions, what they are really saying is that the middle class is too wealthy, and needs to be made poorer.

Lore's picture
Lore 2 years 30 weeks ago

it isn't the cost of union wages that is rising fast -- it is the executive increases. I was wondering if the percentage of increase of those and the top was reflective of the lack on increases on regular worker wages. It would be interesting to see if that is the indicator of stagnation.

Pres Obama referred to corporations getting tax incentives to out-source/ off-shore manufacturing and workers. What is the legislation that gives the incentives? when was it passed? Anyone?

Thanks!

Dougs 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thom,

Don't pass over so quickly, the issue the caller spoke to you regarding the lack of "news" coverage in his state of Indiana. This is very, very important! This is why the public is uninformed about what is going on behind their backs, without their knowledge. All of us have to be deligent in bringing attention to the lack of true and real information and closed door deals that is going on. Especially you, since you have a pulpit that can reach thousands and possibly millions of people, Please emphansize the issue of non coverage by the media of the Indiana issue.

Thanks

Lore's picture
Lore 2 years 30 weeks ago

and when they mention the 'right to work' - I am sure they will bypass any info on the lower standards of states currently using this, of the removal of union protections, of the expectation of lower wages -- that the workers will pay for the loss of their rights so the corporation can have bigger profits or more for the executives.

turtlemother's picture
turtlemother 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thom, did you read/listen to this?

no one should have to work like this: and this might be our future too if we don't stay vigilent.

I( I may hve gottne this link from you origanally, I don't remember..

Vickie Bodie's picture
Vickie Bodie 2 years 30 weeks ago

You cannot take a break,win a battle 12 more appear,go to bed with it get up with new problems.The idea that the labels keep the boundries meaning if your middle class that is where you are,if your poor that is where you will stay..the terms in which we speak is limiting our progress..

ziaislam's picture
ziaislam 2 years 30 weeks ago

Thom, this is an all out assault on the working people. It is spreading like a cancer from Wisconsin to Indiana to god knows where next. BTW, loved the Reagan tape on support of labor. Where can I get a copy to show to repubs?

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 2 years 30 weeks ago

Chris Hedges said................
....in this Truthdig article:

"Voting will not alter the corporate systems of power. Voting is an act of political theater. Voting in the United States is as futile and sterile as in the elections I covered as a reporter in dictatorships like Syria, Iran and Iraq. There were always opposition candidates offered up by these dictatorships. Give the people the illusion of choice. Throw up the pretense of debate. Let the power elite hold public celebrations to exalt the triumph of popular will. We can vote for Romney or Obama, but Goldman Sachs and ExxonMobil and Bank of America and the defense contractors always win. There is little difference between our electoral charade and the ones endured by the Syrians and Iranians. Do we really believe that Obama has, or ever had, any intention to change the culture in Washington?

In this year’s presidential election I will vote for a third-party candidate, either the Green Party candidate or Rocky Anderson, assuming one of them makes it onto the ballot in New Jersey, but voting is nothing more than a brief chance to register our disgust with the corporate state. It will not alter the configurations of power. The campaign is not worth our emotional, physical or intellectual energy.

Our efforts must be directed toward acts of civil disobedience, to chipping away, through nonviolent protest, at the pillars of established, corporate power. The corporate state is so unfair, so corrupt and so rotten that the institutions tasked with holding it up—the police, the press, the banking system, the civil service and the judiciary—have become vulnerable. It is becoming harder and harder for the corporations to convince its foot soldiers to hold the system in place."

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 2 years 30 weeks ago

Robert Scheer said................
........in a Truthdig article:

"....if Obama meant what he said in Tuesday’s State of the Union address about holding the financial industry responsible for its scams, why did he appoint the old Clinton crowd that had legalized those scams to the top economic posts in his administration? Why did he hire Timothy Geithner, who has turned the Treasury Department into a concierge service for Wall Street tycoons? ....

...Why hasn’t he pushed for a restoration of the Glass-Steagall Act, which Clinton’s deregulation reversed? Does the president really believe that the Dodd-Frank slap-on-the-wrist sellout represents “new rules to hold Wall Street accountable, so a crisis like this never happens again”? Can he name one single too-big-to-fail banking monstrosity that has been reduced in size on his watch instead of encouraged to grow ever larger by Treasury and Fed bailouts and interest-free money?....

...When Obama declared Tuesday evening “no American company should be able to avoid paying its fair share of taxes by moving jobs and profits overseas,” wasn’t he aware that Jeffrey Immelt, the man he appointed to head his jobs council, is the most egregious offender? Immelt, the CEO of GE, heads a company with most of its workers employed in foreign countries, a corporation that makes 82 percent of its profit abroad and has paid no U.S. taxes in the past three years.....

...It was also a bit bizarre for Obama to celebrate Steve Jobs as a model entrepreneur when the manufacturing jobs that the late Apple CEO created are in the same China that elsewhere in his speech the president sought to scapegoat for America’s problems.

John Defalque's picture
John Defalque 2 years 30 weeks ago

I worked as a seasonal migratory farm worker in BC for 10 yrs, then the wages went from $8hr to piecework.The BS sales pitch was that if you were fast, you could earn more money. I was picking fruits and vegetables for as little as 25 cents an hr.People didn't have time to chat anymore while they worked. I noticed that I was becoming a minority as illegal immigrants took over all the workl. I left and went into construction. For 16 yrs, I worked non-union, I would've made the same wage flipping burgers. Then I got into the union and had middle class wages for 2 yrs, but the Great Depression has left me unemployed for the last 3 yrs. Now I am going to school. I have spent 27 yrs starting at the bottom.Now I wonder if I will ever work again.

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 2 years 30 weeks ago

I have experience in the right-to-work-for-less, but not in a for-right-to-work-for-less state. Let me explain, for 17 years I worked for a large non union printing company. I was in the prepress graphic arts dept., a fast paced environment with no room for error. Mandatory 70 hour work weeks were the norm. Several unionization attempts failed with management successfully pitting worker aqainst worker in bitter struggles with firings and lawsuits.

Anyway after 17 miserable and relentless years in pusuit of the God Almighty Dollar, I'd had enough, I wanted out, and I wanted a union. I took a civil service test and got what I wanted. So to make a long story short , the last 14 years I've proudly and happily been a member of a great public employees union. I work in a classroom setting caring for some of society's most vulnerable citizens. I actually work for less money but get much more in return for the soul.

I have to say..... although I agree with you Thom on the-right-to-work-for-less as being accurate, I've been calling it the right-to-work-without-rights. My union first and foremost protects my rights as a worker.

The taft hartley act talk was some great info today!

George Reiter's picture
George Reiter 2 years 30 weeks ago

To work for a non-union company reminds me of my dad’s stories working in the auto factories in Dearborn Michigan before the unions and fighting for the right to unionize. My dad witnessed the struggle to work for the right to live a decent life.

Back in the 1980’s living in Dearborn Michigan, I’d walk across the street to sit and talk with Joe, the retired person in his 80’s while he sat on his front porch, a retired UAW local union president. He would tell me stories of his history. The one phrase that Joe said which I will never forget referring to the 1930’s and the union struggle: “I don’t know who came first, Jesus or President Roosevelt?”

History if not learned will repeat itself.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 2 years 30 weeks ago

"Casino Jack"-2010 movie:
Sure shows off the hypocrisy and criminality of the sleazy Republicans and was very funny at times. Kevin Spacey was fantastic as Jack Abramoff. Now playing on Satellite TV.

SueN's picture
SueN 2 years 30 weeks ago

The Reagan tape is at

You'll get all the links in the newsletter from now on.

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team 2 years 30 weeks ago

Anything that regulates the business community and the economic system is seen as limiting basic American freedom.People believe that their personal life is threatened at the most basic level if political decisions are made that appear to impinge in even the slightest way upon their economic choices-even when those political decisions are demonstrably for there own good,such as basic government regulation of the health care system or regulation for safety in the work place or environment legislation to protect our children and our mother earth which gives us ALL life,and to protect consumers from food processing etc etc.

But we must understand that the economic system itself limits people,s choices such as monopoly of huge areas of industry and locking out all competition,then setting the rules of the game for advancement of the few at the expense of the many.Then people are forced to buy products that goes against there basic freedom this you have defined as free market economics ,i call it abuse

enslavement and subjugation as only a tiny minority are served and enriched by this economy.

The economy was meant to help as all but the way it has been manipulated by the few it has turned out to hurt the majority of people in the world.Believe it or not the economy was never meant to control our lives.

It has been said no one is truly well of while others are dying !!!

Some of this information was taken from The Storm Before The Calm by Neale Donald Walsch .

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 2 years 30 weeks ago
Quote humanitys team:This is exactly why we should have separation of politics and economics and we need to remember that politics is our spirituality demonstrated.

Oh, the cannibal wants politics to keep out of cannibalism! You feel you have a right to cannibalize your fellow human. You feel unfree if we watch you cannibalizing people or what?

Cannibalizing humanity(s) team -- pshaw!

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 2 years 30 weeks ago

The Bible is right. Many humans are not to trust. Many of them are mean. And this is the reason why we figured out democracy, human rights and unions. We don't want to live in hell on earth. Employees are often put at risks: Often they don't have much money, nor too much education and this makes them vulnerable. They have to unionize and we have to protect their rights!

Even if an employer tells me he's a Christian: We all know, people just talk, but they act differently and often selfish and merciless.

If it comes to protecting worker's rights, I don't trust anybody who asks me not to watch. Whoever says that to me: I'm through with you -- I will always consider you not trustworthy. A monkey!

humanitys team's picture
humanitys team 2 years 30 weeks ago

The bible is never infallible nothing is ,and no-one does anything wrong given there model of the world everyone is doing the best they can with the information they have .

The basic instinct of humanity is fairness,oneness and love,every child is born with love and trust our cultural story is the problem and it has been passed down for millenia ,that we are separated from life/god that we are born in sin that need exists that we can fail this is all fallacy just like most of what is written in your old books i,e the bible ect mostly written by men,this cultural story is so ingrained that we now live it fully.It is all myth having nothing to do with ultimate reality.

What might now work for humanity is creating a new cultural story for humans to live by check out .

TheGlobalConversation.com

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 2 years 30 weeks ago

You just outed yourself as social-political cannibal. Don't talk about "humanity is fairness,oneness and love!"

You can disguise yourself with pretty words -- I read it as lies.

Maybe you're just naive -- but your ideas are evil.

DRichards's picture
DRichards 2 years 30 weeks ago

Humanitys team, You may want to check out Joseph Campbell.

dowdotica's picture
dowdotica 2 years 30 weeks ago

...all to increase retained earnings and keep the stock vals up! meanwhile I have to eat mac and cheese, drink pabst blue ribbon, take a part time job at wal-mart and increase my work week to 60 hours just so i can help my 2 kids through college? truly not the America of post wold war II. certainly not the America of the 50s, 60s, and 70,s. hmmmm, can't begin to imagine when it all started falling apart. funnier yet it was the mothers and fathers of the crooks and cranks we have now that "did" once make our nation great! Or maybe it was the LSD they did in the sixties that has now shorted out any sense of thier once conscience!

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 2 years 30 weeks ago

If you could only share John Boehner's tears.....

Just dream of the post-FDR 'American dream': Hit the jackpot, have drinks with Newt and listen to Mitt in quiet rooms.

If you were able to love America like a crocodile its river, and share that dream, you would probably enjoy those 60 hours.....

Forgive my irony -- love ya dowdotica!

mauiman58's picture
mauiman58 2 years 30 weeks ago

Is that President Franklin D Roosevelt, the creator of the largest Ponzi scheme in history, Social Security. That very same Social Security that we who are paying into it now are getting TOTALLY screwed by?

No sorry, FDR is much closer to the Antichrist than he is to Jesus Christ.

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 2 years 27 weeks ago
Quote louisehartmann:good old-fashioned brainwashing
Is that what happened to him?
Quote mauiman58:FDR is much closer to the Antichrist than he is to Jesus Christ
What the heck did they do to his brains?!

A Rising Tide Only Lifts All Boats When Everyone Has a Boat.

President John F. Kennedy once said about economic development that “a rising tide lifts all boats.” Kennedy was, of course, right, but he missed something really, really important: A rising tide lifts only lifts all boats when everyone has a boat.

"Through compelling personal stories, Hartmann presents a dramatic and deeply disturbing picture of humans as a profoundly troubled species. Hope lies in his inspiring vision of our enormous unrealized potential and his description of the path to its realization."
David Korten, author of Agenda for a New Economy, The Great Turning, and When Corporations Rule the World
"With the ever-growing influence of corporate CEOs and their right-wing allies in all aspects of American life, Hartmann’s work is more relevant than ever. Throughout his career, Hartmann has spoken compellingly about the value of people-centered democracy and the challenges that millions of ordinary Americans face today as a result of a dogma dedicated to putting profit above all else. This collection is a rousing call for Americans to work together and put people first again."
Richard Trumka, President, AFL-CIO
"Thom Hartmann channels the best of the American Founders with voice and pen. His deep attachment to a democratic civil society is just the medicine America needs."
Tom Hayden, author of The Long Sixties and director, Peace and Justice Resource Center.