Mitt Romney say's he's “not concerned with the very poor?”

Mitt Romney say's he's “not concerned with the very poor?”

No surprises - Mitt Romney won the Florida primary last night by 15 points over Newt Gingrich. The Romney campaign – with the help of SuperPACs funded by Wall Street billionaires – carpet-bombed the state with TV ads – airing 13,000 TV ads, compared to Newt Gingrich who only aired 200.

But if Romney thought the race would be over soon – he thought wrong. Last night, Gingrich gave a speech to supporters in front of a sign reading “46 states to go.” And thanks to the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision – Newt CAN keep running until the end of the primary race – as long as he has casino millionaires cutting him checks.

Meanwhile – in a victory interview with CNN last night, Romney admitted that he’s “not concerned with the very poor” in America because they have a “safety net there.” Of course, it’s a safety net that Romney and Republicans in Congress are trying to get rid of. Currently – almost half the nation is in poverty or low-income – meaning the Republican front-runner for President just admitted he’s not considered with half of all Americans.

Comments

DRichards's picture
DRichards 3 years 16 hours ago

Re: Are Libertarians real conservatives?

It seems to me that Libertarians are more progressive than the democratic party. Both Democratic and Republican parties are Hamiltonian big government parties. Both parties are pro Wall Street Bailouts, Pro War, and anti civil liberties.

Re: Free Markets

Under the Libertarian free market, there would not have been any Wall Street Bailouts.

BTW, I am not a Libertarian. I am a progressive who has lost faith in the Democratic party. Unending, perpetual war, and the loss of my civil liberties are what matters most to me.

leighmf's picture
leighmf 3 years 10 hours ago

I wish some of these hotshots would go visit the very poor, such as the children who can't have books because the rats eat them. Or a 60 year old man starving in tent city, too weak to get off his cot and reach for a can of ENSURE that the safety net leaves under his bed.

I propose a television series called "Poor Swap."

Let rats eat Mitt's Esquire, and let Mitt live for a week on Ensure.

a2phil's picture
a2phil 3 years 10 hours ago

Of COURSE Mitt Romney isn't concerned about the poor!!!

He NEVER WAS POOR!!!!

a2phil's picture
a2phil 3 years 10 hours ago

When I was growing up, my parents told me that "anyone can become President"....

When the homeless person living in the alley behind my building becomes President, I'LL BELIEVE IT!!!

a2phil's picture
a2phil 3 years 10 hours ago

@ D Richards

Join the Socialist Party....I did....

a2phil's picture
a2phil 3 years 10 hours ago

Instead of Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan (and others of their ilk) going to rehab or jail the next time they screw up, have them trade places with a street person for a year or two...

MountainCatBob's picture
MountainCatBob 3 years 10 hours ago

The irony is thick as the stains around my drain: the poor consistently vote against their interests by getting stuck on hot-button issues like abortion or gay marriage and voting for the Cons. Cons like Mit don't give shi** about people or how the laws affect us as long as he can insure that our rights are taken away, more restrictions are placed on individuals and we give more and more money to the rich. They love less liberty and revel in the hatred. The astonishing part is that they are so out of touch with what we need and want, they think that everyone believes their self-serving rhetoric.

The only drawback is that Obama is also using rhetoric as a smoke screen to hide his real colors. I believed him during his first campaign, but he failed perform and lost the talk. Now he's talking the talk once again, and I doubt he will ever lean to walk the walk.

This is the same kind of power vacuum that got Hitler elected. Perhaps it has been engineered.

Clarissa Smith's picture
Clarissa Smith 3 years 9 hours ago

Mitt Romney's clumsy tongue at times is the best Obama campaign we can get. LOL

bigwill's picture
bigwill 3 years 9 hours ago

Bravo sir well said!!!

Elioflight's picture
Elioflight 3 years 8 hours ago

I read an article about Romney's "poor" statement. He said that he wasn't worried about the very poor because they have a safety net to fall back on, which I might add, most rethuglicans want to dismantle and use as a stump-speech punching bag: welfare.

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 3 years 7 hours ago

Willard Romney's comment about the poor reminds me of his Aunt Barbara......"and so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them." not to mention his great, great, great, great, Aunt Marie....." If they have no bread, let them eat cake." Being out of touch with economic reality is just part of who these republican candidates are. Do I think any are better than Willard? Better at what?....being a crook, liar, cheat, capitalist, religious nut, bigot, sociopath, psychopath, they're all pretty much the same .......it's just who they are!

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 3 years 7 hours ago

Go "Occupy Century Aluminum," small in numbers but gigantic in heart!............ Fight on!

jkh6148's picture
jkh6148 3 years 4 hours ago

OFF TOPIC
I know -
and probably against the law -

BUT

THERE WERE 4470 STRIKES - MOSTLY OF THE SIT DOWN VARIETY - IN 1937 -

IN response to INDIANA becoming a RIGHT TO WORK FOR LESS STATE -
I would love to see the NFL players union -
pull a sit down strike after the coin toss -
DURING the SUPER BOWL in INDIANAPOLIS

John Defalque's picture
John Defalque 3 years 3 hours ago

Mitt-I have been unemployed for 3 yrs-5X longer than any previous period in my 27 yrs of adult life.For the 5 yr pre-Vancouver Winter Olympic construction boom, I earned from $26,000 to $40,000 a year.Then I had no income for 10 mos, burned through $14K in saving, plunged $3K in debt, applied for welfare 16X and petitioned 2 MLAs, finally I got welfare, and have been on it for the last 30 mos.Almost all my meals come from the soup kitchens.I have to eat with poly drug addicted alcoholics, the mentally ill, endure long lines full of smokers (I wear a bandana over my mouth).I gave up looking for work 2.5 yrs ago and am now going to college.I wonder if I'll ever work again.The only good news is that I am studying French and will go on an exchange to Quebec this summer, but I doubt I will get a summer job and I'm sure that I will be deep in debt.

rruppena's picture
rruppena 2 years 52 weeks ago

I wish Dennis K ucinitch was able to run for President but what corporation is going to give money to a man who would end the war in Afghanistan? He's the only politician I admire and I think Matt Lauer should get on TV some morning and say, "America, wake up and write in Dennis K. for President. " That is my dream. I am so sick of money in politics!

The Middle Class Needs More Than Talking Points

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle have been talking a lot about the middle class. But, that talk is cheap as long as their in bed with Wall Street.

"With the ever-growing influence of corporate CEOs and their right-wing allies in all aspects of American life, Hartmann’s work is more relevant than ever. Throughout his career, Hartmann has spoken compellingly about the value of people-centered democracy and the challenges that millions of ordinary Americans face today as a result of a dogma dedicated to putting profit above all else. This collection is a rousing call for Americans to work together and put people first again."
Richard Trumka, President, AFL-CIO
"No one communicates more thoughtfully or effectively on the radio airwaves than Thom Hartmann. He gets inside the arguments and helps people to think them through—to understand how to respond when they’re talking about public issues with coworkers, neighbors, and friends. This book explores some of the key perspectives behind his approach, teaching us not just how to find the facts, but to talk about what they mean in a way that people will hear."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen
"Hartmann speaks with the straight talking clarity and brilliance of a modern day Tom Paine as he exposes the intentional and systematic destruction of America’s middle class by an alliance of political con artists and outlines a program to restore it. This is Hartmann at his best. Essential reading for those interested in restoring the institution that made America the envy of the world."
David C. Korten, author of The Great Turning and When Corporations Rule the World