Daily Topics - Tuesday April 17th, 2012

Catch The Thom Hartmann Program LIVE at our new time, 3-6pm Eastern!

Hour One: Republican dirty tricks...

Hour Two: Should hospitals ban obese employees? Carrie Lukas, Independent Womens Forum

Hour Three: President Obama takes on the oil speculators

Comments

Boatwright 4 years 44 weeks ago

Re: Rebublicans and power as an end unto itself

"...one may safely say that it would be no sin if statesmen learned enough of history to realize that no system which implies control of society by privilege seekers has ever ended in any other way than collapse."

William E. Dodd, Ambasador to Germany 1933 - 1938, Emeritus Professor of History, University of Chicago

This quote is from the conclusion of a speech given before German leaders during Hitler's rise to absolute power, referenced by Erik Larsen in his excellent history of the nightmare of the Nazi rise to power, "In the Garden of Beasts".

mathboy's picture
mathboy 4 years 44 weeks ago

I got an e-mail today saying GE is a "taxhole". I don't know if Thom can really get away with saying that on the air, but it would be great to apply that to any corporation or rich person that doesn't pay or doesn't want to pay their share of taxes. <cough>Romney</cough>.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 4 years 44 weeks ago

So could we make it a slogan to say "Democracy Must Be Endogenous"?

mathboy's picture
mathboy 4 years 44 weeks ago

I think I heard "philogastriciously ugly", but I just got my headphones in as Thom was saying it. If I have that right, it should mean something like "belly-loving". o_O

Or maybe it was "physogastriciously", which refers to the huge abdomens of insect queens. I have to admit those are pretty gross looking.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 4 years 44 weeks ago

Grasper isn't a ghost; it's a team of ninjas.

DrMike's picture
DrMike 4 years 44 weeks ago

In regards to the republican Freudian projection, where the republicans are reflexively accusing the democrats and Obama of offenses that they have committed (and been accused of).

I believe their strategy is that at the end of the day, they want the low information voters to think “both sides say that” and believe “both parties are the same”…

How Do You Have Freedom If You Don’t Have Healthcare?

Unless it's replaced with something better - like single-payer - repealing Obamacare will make life miserable for millions of Americans.

Latest Headlines

Who rejected United States-North Korea peace talks?

There were conflicting reports on Sunday regarding a recent proposal for United States-North Korea peace talks which was allegedly made before North Korea"s recent nuclear test

U.K. Pound Falls As Markets Get Brexit Jitters

Bloomberg said on Monday the pound had sustained its biggest fall against the dollar in 11 months

Clinton: I'll defend Israel but push for 'two-state solution

Hillary Clinton believes both Republican candidates Donald Trump and Ted Cruz "missed the mark" with their approach to the Israel-Palestinian Arab conflict
"Thom Hartmann ought to be bronzed. His new book sets off from the same high plane as the last and offers explicit tools and how-to advice that will allow you to see, hear, and feel propaganda when it's directed at you and use the same techniques to refute it. His book would make a deaf-mute a better communicator. I want him on my reading table every day, and if you try one of his books, so will you."
Peter Coyote, actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"Thom Hartmann’s book explains in simple language and with concrete research the details of the Neo-con’s war against the American middle class. It proves what many have intuited and serves to remind us that without a healthy, employed, and vital middle class, America is no more than the richest Third World country on the planet."
Peter Coyote, Actor and author of Sleeping Where I Fall