Daily Topics - Tuesday April 17th, 2012

Daily Topics - Tuesday April 17th, 2012

Catch The Thom Hartmann Program LIVE at our new time, 3-6pm Eastern!

Hour One: Republican dirty tricks...

Hour Two: Should hospitals ban obese employees? Carrie Lukas, Independent Womens Forum

Hour Three: President Obama takes on the oil speculators

Comments

Boatwright 2 years 27 weeks ago

Re: Rebublicans and power as an end unto itself

"...one may safely say that it would be no sin if statesmen learned enough of history to realize that no system which implies control of society by privilege seekers has ever ended in any other way than collapse."

William E. Dodd, Ambasador to Germany 1933 - 1938, Emeritus Professor of History, University of Chicago

This quote is from the conclusion of a speech given before German leaders during Hitler's rise to absolute power, referenced by Erik Larsen in his excellent history of the nightmare of the Nazi rise to power, "In the Garden of Beasts".

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 27 weeks ago

I got an e-mail today saying GE is a "taxhole". I don't know if Thom can really get away with saying that on the air, but it would be great to apply that to any corporation or rich person that doesn't pay or doesn't want to pay their share of taxes. <cough>Romney</cough>.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 27 weeks ago

So could we make it a slogan to say "Democracy Must Be Endogenous"?

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 27 weeks ago

I think I heard "philogastriciously ugly", but I just got my headphones in as Thom was saying it. If I have that right, it should mean something like "belly-loving". o_O

Or maybe it was "physogastriciously", which refers to the huge abdomens of insect queens. I have to admit those are pretty gross looking.

mathboy's picture
mathboy 2 years 27 weeks ago

Grasper isn't a ghost; it's a team of ninjas.

DrMike's picture
DrMike 2 years 27 weeks ago

In regards to the republican Freudian projection, where the republicans are reflexively accusing the democrats and Obama of offenses that they have committed (and been accused of).

I believe their strategy is that at the end of the day, they want the low information voters to think “both sides say that” and believe “both parties are the same”…

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.

"Thom Hartmann seeks out interesting subjects from such disparate outposts of curiosity that you have to wonder whether or not he uncovered them or they selected him."
Leonardo DiCaprio, actor, producer, and environmental activist
"I think many of us recognize that for all but the wealthiest, life in America is getting increasingly hard. Screwed explores why, showing how this is no accidental process, but rather the product of conscious political choices, choices we can change with enough courage and commitment. Like all of Thom’s great work, it helps show us the way forward."
Paul Loeb, author of Soul of a Citizen and The Impossible Will Take a Little While
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places