Voter Purge...Rick Scott gives the finger to Washington!

Voter Purge...Rick Scott gives the finger to Washington!

The state of Florida told the Justice Department what it can do with its letter demanding Governor Rick Scott end his illegal purge of Democratic voters in the Sunshine State. Despite being informed via a DOJ letter they were in violation of the Voting rights Act last week – officials in Governor Scott’s government are pressing forward with a massive effort to kick supposed undocumented immigrants off the voting rolls.

The Florida Secretary of State’s office responded to the DOJ letter saying, “We are going to continue forward and do everything that we can legally do to make sure that ineligible voters cannot vote.” However, there’s overwhelming evidence that legal residents are having their voting rights stripped away too in this voter purge. Democratic Senator Bill Nelson has called for an end to the voter purge – as has the Democratic Party Chairman in Broward County – and the Miami Herald newspaper – which uncovered evidence that most of the voters targeted to be removed from the roles were minorities and Democrats – and very few were Republicans.

Now – investigative reporter Lee Fang has uncovered a possible connection between the Florida voter purge and major right-wing political donors. As Fang reports – Former Florida Secretary of State Kurt Browning – who began the voter purge – previously led a Conservative group called “Protect Your Vote Inc.” – which received a $100,000 check from another organization that receives much of it’s funding from the billionaire oligarchs – the Koch Brothers. The Koch Brothers are also behind funding to the American Legislative Exchange Council – which has churned out numerous Voter ID laws to make it harder for Democratic voters to vote.

So, it’s pretty obvious why Governor Rick Scott is refusing to end his illegal voter purge. It’s because he no longer thinks it’s worth answering to the nation’s democratically-elected federal government. Instead – he – and other Republican Governors around the nation – answer to the now-entrenched Oligarchy of the United States – headed up by people like the Koch brothers.

Comments

wbeeman's picture
wbeeman 2 years 15 weeks ago

The problem with voter registration is not identifying legitimate voters, it is creating completely new and bizarre forms of identification that elderly people, students or non-drivers are not likely to have. You know what is going on when in Texas you can vote using your gun registration, but not with a student ID. In Minnesota up to now various forms of identification, including a utility bill were adequate. Failing that, a person on the voter rolls could vouch provisionally for another person whose name, for whatever reason, did not appear on the rolls (got married and changed name, recently moved, etc.). Sadly, this may disappear in the next election, since the ALEC tea-party know-nothings in the legislature have introduced a constitutional amendment to disenfranchise voters. The gentleman who complained that he had to show more ID to see The Avengers than to vote in Maryland fails to understand that voting is a constitutional right. Seeing The Avengers is a matter of choice.

PATRICK LOWE's picture
PATRICK LOWE 2 years 15 weeks ago

I can speak from my own experience. Florida requires one to be identify oneself as a Democrat or a Republican or an independent. I went into register to vote in a Republican area. I had a strange feeling that I should put down Republican, so my wife and I both put down Republican. The person registering us to vote saw the form and simply handed us a place to sign. There was no identification check, no other questions except asking us where we lived. There was no attempt made to verify anything we said. I could have said I was you or any other name. Perhaps she looked out the window and noticed the new Cadillac -- I don't know. Evidently when one is of northern European extraction and looks "OK" there is no problem in Florida. -- Patrick Lowe

leighmf's picture
leighmf 2 years 15 weeks ago

In the Oligarchy, I disagree that the Koch Brothers rank higher than the descendants of Brown Brothers & Harriman, G.H. Walker & Company, and Prescott Bush. They should be assigned the less major rank of front men, like "The Dukes of Koch."

HalFonts's picture
HalFonts 2 years 15 weeks ago

A 50-year old friend was essentially living "off-the-grid" -- he'd lost all ID and per his "free" lifestyle, got along without it. Past attempts to re-establish "his papers" had met Catch-22 impassibilities.

You need a "Sosh" to get a State-ID, and you need a Government Photo-ID, just to request the paper Social Security Wallet Card. (Huh?) -- even though he'd long had a Social Sceurity account with benefits from past employment -- just "NO CARD." (Mine originally came with the warning: "NOT FOR ID," and I think I burned it in a '70s anti-war protest).

So, we set out to re-create his ID -- including voter registration. I don't tollerate absurd BS about how something CAN'T be done; I'll call for a Manager demanding how it CAN be done. It took something like 6-weeks or more to buy a birth-certificate, establish an address, gather evidence, submit forms, etc. one puzzle-piece at a time, in the right order.

It became obvious how, without the tenacity of a pit-bull, many citizens would and do give up. And In the process I wondered how (other than my ethnic privilage) I could "prove my citizenship" on short notice (ie: a police citizenship ID-check).

klentz's picture
klentz 2 years 15 weeks ago

IfI were a state or local chairmain, I would encourage all at-risk democats to change their registration from D to R. Then they would all be safe.

bldegl's picture
bldegl 2 years 15 weeks ago

If Obama wins the election, then the heads will roll in Florida. If, however, the voter purge works and Romney gets elected, then the people who purged voters will get Medal of Freedom awards.

The justice department is not known for it speed. So, to me, it looks like Florida can thumb its nose at the DOJ until after the election and pray that their man gets elected.

PhilipHenderson's picture
PhilipHenderson 2 years 15 weeks ago

If the Republicans succeed with their illegal actions, then this is a de facto bloodless coup d' etat. We will have become the United States of Koch. These bandits are stealing democracy from the people. If they succeed they will be seen later as those who dug America's grave, and they too will fall victim to their nefarious actions. After the Democrats are defeated, the Republicans will be next. This is a descent into hell. In Australia citizens are fined if they do not vote; in our country, Republicans do every thing they can to see that the minimum number of citizens get to the polls. What a bunch of losers. They cannot win using logic and the facts, so they stoop to illegal actions; anything to get their way.

2950-10K's picture
2950-10K 2 years 15 weeks ago

Lest we forget the Rickster avoided jailtime after his company paid a record setting 1.7 billion in medicare fraud fines. His reward for stealing from everyones medicare payroll deductions was the citizens in Florida made him their Governor????? This would give any putz a feeling of invincibility.

The consequences of illegal activities such as the voter purge, in his world, amount to only more empowerment and self-enrichment. Consequences to society are catastrophic, look what happened when Florida illegally made Bush President. This time the Supreme Court is at stake!

Good luck to Gov. Barrett!

galeww@aol.com's picture
galeww@aol.com 2 years 15 weeks ago

The mail-in ballot in CA was so staggering, I had to run my finger down a list of two dozen Senatorial candidates to find Dianne Feinstein. It was not alphabetical--the first candidate was Orly Taitz, the Republican darling, The candidate's name above Dianne Feinstein was named Feinland. Wow. Corrupt? I promised myself I would stop saying "it's unbelievable" but holy you-know-what--it's unbelievable.

nigle77's picture
nigle77 2 years 15 weeks ago

What going on is un will

why is the Republicans doing all of this ?

Can the House of Representatives (Republians) be sent home without pay for a Month or 2 Month ? Why ?

the Republicans are Wasting Tax Dallans by saying No to the Everything that will help our "Economy out"

TP.Wood's picture
TP.Wood 2 years 15 weeks ago

I am an Independent Conservative who has never voted Democrat or Republican for a Presidential Election. If there is "Overwhelming Evidence" I don't see it in the blog, post or comments. Right now I am feeling very Underwhelmed by the evidence.

bewildered1's picture
bewildered1 2 years 15 weeks ago

Obviously, it is now apparent that we need a national ID like those in the social democracies of Europe. We admire the German model, and there it is legally required to have the national ID at age 16.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary 2 years 15 weeks ago

For those having problems registering...register Republican but vote Democrat or Independent.

TP.Wood's picture
TP.Wood 2 years 15 weeks ago

. . .Due to the fact that we have had years and years of uncontrolled immigration. I am not opposed to relaxing the standards for migrating here, but having to check for identification is the consequence of bad policy in preceeding years.

beano's picture
beano 2 years 15 weeks ago

I'm a registered Democrat in Florida and I'm glad Scott is going ahead with it. Everyone seems to forget about the ACORN scam in 2008. I value my vote and I want to make sure no Illegal, dead person is casting a vote

ronulty's picture
ronulty 2 years 15 weeks ago

I would LIKE to think that Rick Scott and is gang of "officials" would be held in contemppt and prosecuted. I would LIKE to think that there will be a well organized effort to help register voters and drive them to the polls. I would LIKE to think that Florida citizens protest so loudly that Scott will back down. But unfortunately, I fear that money speaks louder than words and this will just become another example of how our democracy is going down in flames and being sold to the highest bidder.

TP.Wood's picture
TP.Wood 2 years 15 weeks ago

Hey beano, have you seen the "overwhelming evidence" ?

nigle77's picture
nigle77 2 years 15 weeks ago

Why did you vote Republicans ?

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.

"In an age rife with media-inspired confusion and political cowardice, we yearn for a decent, caring, deeply human soul whose grasp of the problems confronting us provides a light by which we can make our way through the quagmire of lies, distortions, pandering, and hollow self-puffery that strips the American Dream of its promise. How lucky we are, then, to have access to the wit, wisdom, and willingness of Thom Hartmann, who shares with us here that very light, grown out of his own life experience."
Mike Farrell, actor, political activist, and author of Just Call Me Mike and Of Mule and Man
"Once again, Thom Hartmann hits the bull’s eye with a much needed exposé of the so-called ‘free market.’ Anyone concerned about the future of our nation needs to read Screwed now."
Michael Toms, Founding President, New Dimensions World Broadcasting Network and author of A Time For Choices: Deep Dialogues for Deep Democracy
"The powers that be are running roughshod over the powers that OUGHT to be. Hartmann tells us what went wrong — and what you and I can do to help set American right again."
Jim Hightower, National Radio Commentator, Writer, Public Speaker, and author of the bestselling Thieves in High Places