Welcome to the New Message Boards

52 posts / 0 new

Greetings

After a long wait and a huge amount of preparation by a team of people, the new Thom Hartman Program website went live a short time ago.

What do you think?

Let us know any bugs that come up by replying to this message.

(Don't include anything about your personal account for support, which should go to webmaster@thomhartmann.com)

The message board will be moderated by SueN and I'll call in each day to see what is going on as well.

And of course, Thom will also keep an eye on what you have to say about things.

Enjoy the new website.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

nigelpeacock's picture
nigelpeacock

Comments

The message board will be moderated by SueN

That's me! :)

SueN's picture
SueN

Welcome to the new site veryone, I hope you like it.

SueN's picture
SueN

Thanks for all the work.

The site looks very interesting.

It appears we can use some HTML. Can you add to the "allowed" code list? Like, adding embedded video codes?

As I discovered with the preview, the following did not work:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eErbmvUwgZE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eErbmvUwgZE&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ren H

I would appreciate it if you would look into my account I went to log onto the website to update my podcast and it said my membership level was at the free level when actualy I have a monthly membership so I renewed my membership to the monthly membership level .I would like to make sure I don't get billed for two monthly subscriptions. Thank You.

dejr8fanohio's picture
dejr8fanohio

Howdy all,

Just testing the features..

B.Cooper's picture
B.Cooper

Sorry about the problem some people have had with podcasts. Hopefully it is fixed now. dejr8fanohio, if you don't get a reply from the webmaster tomorrow, please could you email him?

SueN's picture
SueN

If any of you have not received an email you are expecting from the site, for example when you change your password, please check your spam box.

SueN's picture
SueN

I would echo what dejr8fanohio said above. I have paid for the podcasts and was looking forward to listening tonight. Now I can't access them. Not very happy about that.

podcasts

How do you post pictures?

kulak.2.1

Sorry the transition from the old to the new site have caused some of you problems, hopefully these will all be fixed quickly.

SueN's picture
SueN

Monarch

To include a picture, click on the the image of a tree which is to the right of the anchor, and give it the url.

SueN's picture
SueN

You have a tree and anchor? I have an annoying smiling circle.

Sawdust's picture
Sawdust

When you click on "add comment" then you should get...

Sawdust

... followed by a variety of symbols related to entering text, etc. above the box where you actually type, starting with B I U ABC

SueN's picture
SueN

I have B I U (a link symbol) and the ubiquitous annoying smiling circle. That's it.

I have no "add comment" which is clickable. There is a red Add comment above the text box which is static. To post I click "save" at the bottom of the page.

Sawdust's picture
Sawdust

Sorry about that.

It's 4 am here, and even the people in Portland have left for the day. We'll have a look at it tomorrow.

You have a link as well, though it is greyed out until you type something then select it.

SueN's picture
SueN

Good night.

Sawdust's picture
Sawdust
Quote SueN:

To include a picture, click on the the image of a tree which is to the right of the anchor, and give it the url.

What image of what tree? I have the following icons to choose from: bold, italics, underline, link, and smileys. I can, of course, type in the html tags for image, but if there's a simpler way that would be nice. Upon reading the above posts, I see I'm not alone and maybe tomorrow will see a solution.

Ren H

Playing around with the look of the site is all well and good, but you should make sure that paying members have access to what they are paying for.

podcasts

Great leap backwards as far as the podcast goes. I use Google Reader as my newsreader / podcast manager, usually downloading from the link there under the little builtin player. No dice tonight. Logged on, got my feed URI, added (or tried) to Google Reader, Reader says it could not find the 'cast. Came here and right-click/save As'd to d/l the podcast (using Google Chrome). Noticeably slower than the old site, and the "remaining" number bounced around up and down until the d/l finished. The old site did not work like that. Not using a download manager.

The cosmetics are an improvement but not a significant one, to me. For me, who pays to get an edited copy of the show sans (most) interruptions rather than record it and skip those interruptions by hand, the appearance of the site is unimportant. I use Google Reader to filter all the noise and clutter away from the meat I came for (no offense to vegans ).

I hope the feed can be fixed. I don't and won't use iTunes, I detest the whole Jobsian philosophy of Apple's approach to its customers (you can do whatever you want as long as we thought of it and you do it our way).

Thanks.

rickf's picture
rickf

Just testing.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

Limits on functionality so far noted:

No ability to edit or delete a post once subsequent posts are made.

No ability to post images.

No ability to block/hide posts by other users.

No "mark all posts/forums read" option.

Thanks for the work, I hope these items will be addressed.

Dave M's picture
Dave M

Also, no ability to display or search on a user's posts.

The add link button is grayed out and not useable.

More gripes: I wish the board area could automatically resize or be resized to fit my screen. I have a narrow column down the middle and lots of wasted blue space on both sides. I don't like to scroll so much - when drc and Kerry start posting my mouse finger is going to wear out.

Dave M's picture
Dave M

Dave, this system just started and you are looking to hide your enemies already? Is that on an easy start-up or quick start checklist?

This was just a test comment and post. btw I see a Disable rich-text, would that help you,

to not read republicans?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I don't have an enemies list doug, though I can't say there haven't been folks who merit one. See my comment above about the mouse finger. Hiding users who routinely pen 10,000 word essays that are indecipherable or of no interest to me is the easiest way to deal.

Where's the "Disable Baloney" button?

Dave M's picture
Dave M
Quote Dave M:

Where's the "Disable Baloney" button?

That's a good one. I just tried the quote function, it pastes the whole post, instead of the highlighted portion, so delete after it pastes.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Another feature I'd like to see added is a way to jump to the last post in a thread, from the forum screen. A way other than the little link that appears when there are new posts.

Dave M's picture
Dave M

The Anchor tag <a href=''" > new blog </a>... worked for me on the blog but not on the message board (thread selected from recent post list) WE will see here... Don't know if that is a real problem or a server glitch. The site seems much much slower (on every page) than before -- I think there may be a caching problem with images as well - after page slowly loads there are still delays in images implying pics are not getting cached locally or the page scripts are slooow

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne

There are some server speed issues at the moment - the technical folks are looking under the hood and giving things a gentle kick. Should be better in a little while.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

I very much appreciate that threads go longer than ten posts before jumping to another page. I can scan and scroll much easier than clicking through pages when looking for something.

But you got me with the image thing.

What tags make it possible to post a picture? I've tried both bbc and html. I've tried putting it in with rich text enabled and disabled. I attempted to use the tags in Sue's above post where she shows her butterfly, successfully, and talks about clicking on the still non existant tree. That doesn't work either, which is really fascinating. The image disappears when I quote her post and preview it, which is really maddening, it's like (there's supposed to be a smiley with its tongue sticking out here, but I don't see it). Some fascinating software you have going here.

Any hints? (there's supposed to be a smiling smiley here, but I don't see it.)

Oh yeah. My normal browser spell check doesn't work either. How'd you manage that?

.ren's picture
.ren

nice board.

Can the posts be adjusted so they take up the entire window to reduce scrolling?

shalwechat's picture
shalwechat

Hi Dave. Hope the screen thing gets fixed so your thumb does not get abused. I would also note that you have the option of reading or not reading any post. It would be nice if you did not keep repeating stuff that has been addressed in the posts you ignore. The point is that it is not about you alone. If you don't find anything interesting in my or Ren's posts, you will have to accept the fact that we do.

You make your positions clear enough. But opinions are only opinions. I choose to disagree with what I find highly ideological and close-minded, and I don't have any expectation of changing your mind.

But others read these threads, and your position gets looked at, as well as ours. You have a few fans who share your memes. But mostly we see the libertarian position revealed as insufficient and unworkable in the reality of human society. The virtues of human freedom are not at issue. We agree with that, but don't see society as the enemy of freedom. It is where freedom is established and guaranteed if we maintain our civic vigilance and duties as citizens.

Hope you enjoy all the new features.

DRC's picture
DRC

Hi ren

Pictures in the message board are not available. They can be posted in member blogs.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster
Quote webmaster:

Hi ren

Pictures in the message board are not available. They can be posted in member blogs.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

Hi, Nigel.

Thanks for your response. Is this a permanent condition? Do you know that phrase about a picture being worth some huge number of words? I think something like a thousand. And, you know, we Americans are literate only through about the sixth grade when it comes to reading words. Something to do with attention spans I think. :-)

.ren's picture
.ren

Ren,

Please email me. Your email address is bounced back.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Done, anti. I thought I sent you a new email Nobody ever accused me of being organized.

.ren's picture
.ren

Never say never on anything ren.

We will review the boards over the next few weeks and see what may be needed.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

How do you come up with the number of people online?

I don't remember ever having 692 guests on line before.

Congrats!

kulak.2.1

The new system is clever enough to measure IP addresses that are using the site and measure the number of people moving around the site. The old site didn't do that at all well.

I saw almost 1,800 on at one point.

-Nigel-

webmaster's picture
webmaster
Quote Nigel:Never say never on anything ren.

I'll be patient. Stimulates me to look around. I even wrote a blog!

I know Sawdust at least must be happy the smileys don't work. Or at least I don't see any.

.ren's picture
.ren

I appreciate the hard work that goes into creating this board and the opportunity the Hartmanns provide us to join.

Since everyone has requests of what the board should do, I'd like it to get me coffee with a splash of Bailys.

slabmaster

Nigel,

Thanks for all the work on this new site. I definitely like the fact that you don't have to jump to the next page of a thread, it's all on one page. Also, the whole website loads a hell of a lot faster now.

A couple things that can hopefully be addressed:

1. We have no ability to perform a search on the message board, for a particluar subject or word.

2. We cannot get an entire listing of a specific user's posts, only a list of their recent posts, and it only includes posts that they have started, not all of thier posts.

3. Right now it says that there are 106 users online, however only 10 users names are listed as online at any given moment.

Thanks!

LocalMC's picture
LocalMC

Hi LocalMC

Search at the top of the site should search everywhere on the site including the boards. I'll test that function shortly to see if it does that.

On users, I'm not sure whether that is possible.

For user we only have 10 listed on the message board page. On the chat page, there is a scroll bar with many more. I'll look at whether we can do that for the signed-in people who are on the message board at any moment.

Appreciate the comments.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

When the website changed I posted That I had to renew to log in and at that time I posted that I wanted to make sure that I didn't get double billed for a monthly subscription ,well I did get double billed I got billed on3/31 then again on 4/2 I emailed the webmaster this in the morning and have not heard back I would just like to get a little help from someone.Thank you

dejr8fanohio's picture
dejr8fanohio

Hi dejr8fanohio

I see the webmaster emails and may have replied by now.

As I see over 150 emails a day, I don't know if one of those was from you, as I see webmaster emails from people's emails, not their user names.

If I haven't answered, please email again to webmaster@thomhartmann.com

Thanks.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

Hello Nigel,

I am new to the forums. {applause} Thank you...{bow} Thank you.

I like the look, colors etc. But I have noticed something that is entirely annoying. If I edit one of my posts, say for a spelling error or some other reason. It removes it from it's current line-up position and moves it to the bottom. This must be fixed. If a post was quoted or persons' are going back and forth debating an issue. It screws up the flow and makes the readers catching up later in the day confused.

Another thing the size of the scroll window sucks. I mean come on isn't there something you can do to increase the window by say 50%. I am all for crossplatform intergration. If I am using a phone I expect viewing website content to have small issues. But if I am viewing content from a PC I should be able to use the majority of my screen. Not 35% of it.

I know you have posted on this issue before. If it is indeed open source. Then I am sure This issue has been brought up in that open source forum. Unless it is open source for Iphone applications.

In any case you have your work cut out for you.

Thanks, Brother.

RITTERBY's picture
RITTERBY

Hi Ritterby

I'll take a look at the re-positionong after an edit and I haven't spotted that before.

On the screen width, we will be looking at a number of things in the future and that is on the review list. It is certainly more than 35% when you consider the header as well.

Appreciate the comments.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

Nigel,

Sometimes the effort to edit will give me a screen that tells me I don't have access to that page. This will be when someone else has posted after me. Thus my efforts to edit end. This was the case at first. Now apparently I can edit after someone posts but it will reposition my post after theirs.

Another feature in editing is it shows the post was made at a later date, even if no one posts after me. So it seems to be treating an edit as if it's a post.

I'm guessing you and your team are messing around with the software and it effects that function.

.ren's picture
.ren

Sorry Nigel,

But I use a widescreen monitor 1680x1050 so yeah the actual width of the post area is about 35% of my screen. TH picture at the top of the header off right included gets you to about 50%. I am sure several users get about the same if they are using WS monitors w/ WS aspect ratios. Maybe if you take that into consideration with the development team you guys can find a happy medium.

Might I suggest a locked board where you can tell us whats new or what we can expect from the development side of things to benefit the community as a whole. Also maybe a board for us to make suggestions.

Not only will these prove to be beneficial to the community but it will spark new ideas for the future. Somethings may not be possible but I know personally, being a graphic designer, that input is always good for expanding creativity.

Food for thought, Good Luck friend.

RITTERBY's picture
RITTERBY

Spell check doesn't work here either using Firefox.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote captbebops:

Spell check doesn't work here either using Firefox.

I use Firefox too, Capt, and all I have to do is place my text cursor somewhere within my text, right-click (menu revealed), and then select "check spelling." But, of course, maybe you have a PC, and perhaps that doesn't work on a PC. I wouldn't know. I have a Mac.

Zenzoe

Currently Chatting

Get. Money. Out.

Last week, the United States Senate actually considered a constitutional amendment on campaign finance. Last Monday, the Senate advanced Tom Udall's proposed amendment, which would allow Congress to regulate money in politics. Seventy-nine senators voted to allow debate on the measure.