All Clay is left with is memories and a photo album Harold made for Clay as he lay dying...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
louisehartmann
louisehartmann's picture

Clay 77, and his partner of 20 years, Harold 88, resided in California and diligently protected their legal rights with wills, powers of attorney, and medical directives, all naming each other. Harold had a bad fall one evening and was rushed to the hospital. County and health care workers refused to follow directives & allow Clay to see Harold in the hospital. Without authority, or concern for the value of Clay and Harold's possessions accumulated over 20 years together or making determining which items belonged to whom, the county auctioned off all of their belongings including their home. Clay is suing the County, the auction company and the nursing home and the trial is set for July 16, 2010 in the County of Sonoma. Obama just ordered greater medical rights for same-sex partners but it didn't come soon enough for Clay and Harold. All Clay is left with is memories and a photo album Harold made for Clay as he lay dying.

Comments

norske
norske's picture
I read this yesterday Louise

I read this yesterday Louise and it broke my heart. The system acts collectively how very few individuals would act individually, time and time again, justifying mass sociopathy.

DRC
DRC's picture
My wife had to give her

My wife had to give her permission for Bill, her Dad's mate for 40+ years, and who had cared for him for years as Alzheimers' took him away, to visit him in the hospital.  Then came the estate issues.

We love Bill and he and Derry had one of the best marriages I have ever seen.  He did not know what gay was when he married her Mom, and nobody ever said why they divorced.  We guessed, but getting the relationship with her Dad back took decades and came far later than would have made sense for our kids.  They missed a couple of grandpas.

In our case there was no hostile party or dogmatic ideologue with an anti-gay agenda.  Where any of that is present, these horrible policies abuse people in their most vulnerable moments.  The cruelty is hard to understand.

Eirene
This is just

This is just heartbreaking.... maybe Michael Moore could consider this subject for his next movie....  Enriching your brain can enlighten your mind.