Best Book?

7 posts / 0 new

This is my favorite book written by Thom. He would have made a great monk had he been so inclined.

Retired Monk

"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Comments

I like the book.

He may be something of a mystic, but do you think Thom could have kept still during all the repetitive services and prayer and meditation sessions?

SueN's picture
SueN

He'd probably strip them down to the bare essentials. I'd say "good on you!" Personally, I'd get rid of Matins entirely. A lot of the "tradition" gets in the way of the goal of a monk. Thom seems to have obtained much of that goal...minus the tradition..

As one of my favorite saints once wrote...."there are those living in monastaries who live a secular life...and those in the world who live the life of a monk." One of our monks would have made a good used car salesman. Thom would have made a good monk.

One of my best "meditations" was hauling trees around, digging holes, and planting them. Gazing at ones navel isn't suitable for all. Thom would have found his own "active" meditative technique.

Thom's concerns in the world have a monastic bent to them., in part, due to his spiritual achievments.

The greatest truth of all is so simple...as presented in his book. Coming to that truth with an "aha", and being told it, however, are two very different things. An "aha" of a truth is experiential, and life transforming. A reading of a truth isn't.. There is room within the book for an "aha" to occur. Great book.

Focusing on the truth presented,,,and seeking to verify it in all observations will internalize it...with a sudden "aha". It's one of the means a monk grasps truth as his own...and is hard, hard work....the mind, functioning as it does, saying it just can't be so....and the senses observing a world that seems to physically contradict it..

Retired Monk

"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Some of my calmest moments are when I am working in the garden. Can't say I have any aha moments, though.

SueN's picture
SueN

http://www.buddhafest.org/

They will be showing I AM during the fest in VA. Wonder if Thom would be able to leave all that great vegetarian food and peace when the weekend was over?

JmsThoughts

A Christian exposing themselves to Buddhism would return to their own religion with greater insights and understanding of it if they were so inclined. Ditto adherents of any faith.

Secularists would perhaps gain a greater understanding of how their own mind functions. It's a win, win..

Sometimes the road less travelled has less clutter.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Just curious if anyone has read The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawerence and what you think about the book?

NMHiker's picture
NMHiker

Currently Chatting

We Need to Stop Worshipping Cops

If you protest police brutality and you don’t protest police deaths, then you’re a hypocrite.

That’s what conservatives have been saying ever since two New York City cops were murdered Saturday in an apparent revenge attack for the killings of Michael Brown and Eric Garner.