drill baby drill

12 posts / 0 new

sorry I cannot find previous comments on oil. the nuts in favour of drilling seem to ignore the years of delays to begin the process of drilling, extracting, transporting, refining, transporting some more, and the costs involved as though the act of saying 'drill baby drill' will give us quarter a gallon in the tank. 40 years ago, for all the drilling and damaged caused on the west and gulf coasts, and Alaska, this country had all of (about) 15% refining capacity; now it is less than 1/2 that. Our oil, what we have 'drilled baby drilled', goes abroad for refining and returns as foreign oil at those inflated barrel prices we hate. Please correct me if I am wrong. And we know we need alternatives. President Carter's efforts went for naught. Just imagine where we could be had we followed him to the promised land of alternative energies (nearly) 35 years ago. Staggering. This planet is a finite resource; our stewardship leaves much to be desired. Green is the future and the today, if we will but recognize, imagine, and do. Thank you.

pedmdfmg's picture
pedmdfmg

Comments

I saw a bumper sticker that said: "Drill here drill now."

I was sorely tempted to find a portable drill.

Our energy policy is set by our oil and energy companies. Just ask Dick Cheney, oh wait, he refuses to tell.

Choco's picture
Choco

The future is here in the present, always breaking into our time from out in front instead of from behind. It is there even if we try to pretend the past is running time. That is our problem, not the earth's. It will assert its natural authority whether or not we are ready or listening at all. How long we can deny reality is the question. I think we are really amazing in this regard.

DRC's picture
DRC

I always wondered about the cumulative result of the Pres Carter energy saving policies, like The 55mph speed limit, better insulated houses, etc. What would be the effect on todays energy consumption if Carter policies were still in effect? If these measures had continued to evolve, where would energy use, greenhouse gas levels, the environment be today?

Has anyone done these calculations ( is there a well written summary) comparing a projection up to today of Carter energy saving policies versus 3 decades of conservative government ?

How close to the targets and limits of www.350.org would just the Carter policies have gotten us?

B47

i think we should eliminate the speed limits on interstate freeways such as the autoban. Thanks God the 55 mph limit was shitcanned. Long haul truckers get better gas milage above 60 than at 55. The advancements in auto technology has also made it safer to travel faster.

Better insulated housing led to the current sick building syndrome and mold contamination in housing. I'm all for better efficiency, but what Carter instituted was a clusterfck. Mitigating mold as part of our bidness, I should probably be thanking Carter and his follies for earning us a gob of cash over the past few years.

We need to start drilling in Alaska in a big way and processing shale oil. Energy independence should be a razor sharp focus.

slabmaster

....and when the last drop of oil is finally pumped, energy independence will be where?

We should probably be working on energy independence. If energy isn't renewable, it isn't independence. It's just a postponement of the day of reckoning. Renewable energy will probably have to go hand in hand with cutting back on energy useage...at least in the foreseeable future.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
think we should eliminate the speed limits on interstate freeways such as the autoban. Thanks God the 55 mph limit was shitcanned. Long haul truckers get better gas milage above 60 than at 55. The advancements in auto technology has also made it safer to travel faster.

Better insulated housing led to the current sick building syndrome and mold contamination in housing. I'm all for better efficiency, but what Carter instituted was a clusterfck. Mitigating mold as part of our bidness, I should probably be thanking Carter and his follies for earning us a gob of cash over the past few years.

We need to start drilling in Alaska in a big way and processing shale oil. Energy independence should be a razor sharp focus.

Ah, the sign of a troll or a complete idiot. It seems that slab is hainv fun saying stuff like this crap just to tweak the short hairs as no one can be this stupid, unless one is that stupid.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

Oh, come on, Jeff! Tell us what you REALLY think. LOL.

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote polycarp2:

....and when the last drop of oil is finally pumped, energy independence will be where?

We should probably be working on energy independence. If energy isn't renewable, it isn't independence. It's just a postponement of the day of reckoning. Renewable energy will probably have to go hand in hand with cutting back on energy useage...at least in the foreseeable future.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

I don't disagree by any means Poly. Develope alternative forms and eventually minimize or eliminate oil as our source for most things that go 'round.

Meanwhile, we should free ourselves from middle east energy dependence by utilizing our own.

slabmaster
Meanwhile, we should free ourselves from middle east energy dependence by utilizing our own.

Of course the best way, and the most responsible too, is to mandate high efficiency standards for everything we do and use. Simply wasting our finite reserves will serve only to delude people into thinking we have the solution. We need to make substanital lifestyle changes, otherwise it'll all be for naught.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

Can someone do something to make BP stop dumping toxic oil dispersants( that have been banned in the UK) which make the sheen go away for a better aerial photo but which also sink down through the water and are ingested by sealife all the way up the foodchain--to us?!

lisa77's picture
lisa77
Quote slabmaster:

but what Carter instituted was a clusterfck. Mitigating mold as part of our bidness, I should probably be thanking Carter and his follies for earning us a gob of cash over the past few years.

Oh yes --- the hideous Carter Administration when gas was fifty cents a gallon and America was at peace with the world.

It was hell!!!

It was hell!!!

It was hell!!"

"Red China is not a Democracy. It is a Republic."

kwikfix

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.