Employer sanctions in Arizona--they already have them Thom!

7 posts / 0 new

I was listening to Thom on 620 KPOJ this morning, as I usually do when I have the chance. He said instead of the new illegal alien law that Arizona just passed, they should institute employer sanctions and require them to use E-Verify to make sure their employees are here legally---this is his standard response to the immigration problem.

Thom, Arizona has already passed the very law you said they should, it's been in effect since 2008. Under the Legal Arizona Workers Act, employers can have their business license suspended or revoked if they get caught intentionally hiring illegals, and they are required to use E-Verify when hiring new employees. Hispanic groups challenged the law as "racist," but it's been held up in court and is currently in effect.

This newest law will build on the employer sanction law. I'm hoping both of these laws will spread to every state in the union---it'll have to be state by state since the federal government (under both Bush and Obama) refuse to do ANYTHING to prevent the flooding of our labor market, schools, hospitals, etc. with illegal migrants.

As for those screaming "xenophobe" and "racist" at anyone trying to do something about this problem, why do you hate our labor standards so much? Why are you actively working on behalf of Big Business and others who want to destroy organized labor? And why are you actively pushing for overpopulation? Do you think adding another 100 million+ people to this country will help solve global warming, species extinction, urban sprawl, etc.? There is a sickening amount of hypocrisy among so-called "progressives" on this issue.

CanisLatrans's picture
CanisLatrans

Comments

Good point, coyote. As I understand it there's been only a 6% compliance with the Legal Az Worker's Act since it went into effect on 1/1/'08, judging from the usage of the free E-Verify system.

I've also heard that employee crackdowns have been tried several times in other jurisdictions, only to be cancelled because they were too effective and employers mobbed the state house demanding their cheap, compliant, cowed, disposable employees back.

I suspect, personally, that if a few employers were fined or even just asked to produce the I-9s (I think that's the form) for their employees, verifying their eligibility for employment, you'd see a brown stampede for the borders. Of course, that would leave the state with the even greater problem of dealing with the economic fallout therefrom.

As for your rant against those screaming "xenophobe," I'm not quite clear where you're going here. Perhaps you could clarify?

seyorni's picture
seyorni
Quote seyorni:As for your rant against those screaming "xenophobe," I'm not quite clear where you're going here. Perhaps you could clarify?

Pretty much Thom's entire show this morning consisted of accusing anyone who supports this law of being a racist. I had to turn it off half way through, just couldn't take the raised blood pressure any more. Thom was race baiting with the best of them this morning, not offering even the slightest whiff of a solution to the illegal problem, just slinging ad homs and half-baked partisan conspiracy theories about kicking "brown people" off voter rolls.

I've been listening to Thom for years, long before he had his current show. I liked him because he was an independent voice, not just a party line parrot. Now that's he got a big successful national show, that independence seems to have gone by the wayside. He's now just spouting the standard partisan poison, as shown in this morning's show.

Thom, how about offering some honest solutions to the illegal immigration problem? I'm getting real tired of the ad homs, race baiting, and partisan talking points.

CanisLatrans's picture
CanisLatrans

As I posted in the Legal vs. Illegal thread, the state of Arizona has not enforced the law focused on employers. Something else is at work there that made enacting another illegal alien law aimed at the illegal aliens themselves rather than those that illegal employ them.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss
Quote jeffbiss:

As I posted in the Legal vs. Illegal thread, the state of Arizona has not enforced the law focused on employers. Something else is at work there that made enacting another illegal alien law aimed at the illegal aliens themselves rather than those that illegal employ them.

What makes you think Arizona has not been enforcing the law? or even that enforcing that particular law even scratchs the surface of the underground economy or the just plain freeloaders, ID thiefs, Drug dealers, gangs and alround criminals.

Alpharius's picture
Alpharius
What makes you think Arizona has not been enforcing the law? or even that enforcing that particular law even scratchs the surface of the underground economy or the just plain freeloaders, ID thiefs, Drug dealers, gangs and alround criminals.

Go to the other thread, the link is provided above, and read the article I linked to there. The fact is that Arizona is not enforcing that law. That there is fraud is a given, but that doesn't explain why the relevant officials are not enforcing the law. That begs the question why?

Of course, drug smugglers and most gangs would be defeated if drugs were legalized here, but there are too many who are just against people getting high to do the right thing and legalize drugs.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss
Quote CanisLatrans:
Quote seyorni:As for your rant against those screaming "xenophobe," I'm not quite clear where you're going here. Perhaps you could clarify?

Pretty much Thom's entire show this morning consisted of accusing anyone who supports this law of being a racist. I had to turn it off half way through, just couldn't take the raised blood pressure any more. Thom was race baiting with the best of them this morning, not offering even the slightest whiff of a solution to the illegal problem, just slinging ad homs and half-baked partisan conspiracy theories about kicking "brown people" off voter rolls.

I've been listening to Thom for years, long before he had his current show. I liked him because he was an independent voice, not just a party line parrot. Now that's he got a big successful national show, that independence seems to have gone by the wayside. He's now just spouting the standard partisan poison, as shown in this morning's show.

Thom, how about offering some honest solutions to the illegal immigration problem? I'm getting real tired of the ad homs, race baiting, and partisan talking points.

The solution is to enforce the employer mandate to use E-varify.

And put some employers in jail for breaking the law.

Unemployment in Arizona is floating around 10%!

HIRE AMERICANS !

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.