FOOD INC

8 posts / 0 new

This documentary really says it all. Organic food, corporatism, and solutions. Watch it.

Food Inc Part 1 of 10
Food Inc Part 2 of 10
Food Inc Part 3 of 10
Food Inc Part 4 of 10
Food Inc Part 5 of 10
Food Inc Part 6 of 10
Food Inc Part 7 of 10
Food Inc Part 8 of 10
Food Inc Part 9 of 10

MrK's picture
MrK

Comments

(Food Inc) and (King Corn) should be required viewing.

norske's picture
norske

I just finished jousting with windmills. Because I shop at Winco I spent more than a half hour reading articles and press releases on their ground beef recall. Nobody, easily reached at Winco, seems to have information on the source of the meat. I finally reached a guy at their HQ, Alan Malone, in Idaho and he told me that the FDA (which doesn't have the recall on their site) prohibits disclosing the source until they do their investigation - using the words "That (source) is kept under lock and key."

This is a "voluntary recall" which translates to legally being able to refuse to inform the consumer of the source of the contaminated meat.

Mr. Malone added that they (Winco) has 2 suppliers and cannot disclose names until the investigation is complete.

Bon Appetité!

Dusty's picture
Dusty
Quote norske:

(Food Inc) and (King Corn) should be required viewing.

Hi Norske,

Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't seen King Corn yet.

MrK's picture
MrK

LIFE AND DEBT BY STEPHANIE BLACK

Quote MrK:

This documentary really says it all. Organic food, corporatism, and solutions. Watch it.

Food Inc Part 1 of 10
Food Inc Part 2 of 10
Food Inc Part 3 of 10
Food Inc Part 4 of 10
Food Inc Part 5 of 10
Food Inc Part 6 of 10
Food Inc Part 7 of 10
Food Inc Part 8 of 10
Food Inc Part 9 of 10

This is a documentary by Stephanie Black, which is really a companion piece to Food Inc.

It describes a larger version of what happened to America's family farmers, but on an international scale.

Life And Debt describes the effect of the IMF/World bank's 'Structural Adjustment Programmes' and loan 'conditionalities' on local producers. They really by design destroy local farmers and manufacturers, so their place can be taken transnational corporations. And the forced currency devaluation is part of that.

What Stanley Fischer fails to mention is that currency devaluation does not 'help Jamaica export' just anything. Because local currency devaluation makes imported goods (capital goods, fuel) more expensive, it prevents goods actually being produced in Jamaica by Jamaicans. What it does is make Jamaica a more attractive destination for transnational corporations with US currency who only want to exploit (locally currency paid) Jamaican labor. Currency devaluation actively discourages Jamaicans from producing their own goods and then exporting them.

Life and Debt Part I
Life and Debt Part II
Life and Debt Part III
Life and Debt Part IV
Life and Debt Part V
Life and Debt Part VI (4:48 - 'free trade zones'; for Schweitzer & Associates)
Life and Debt Part VII
Life and Debt Part VIII

MrK's picture
MrK

I have long recommended "Life and Debt" to folks so they would understand the damage that the IMF and these trade policies do to countries around the world. It is also important to note that the filmmaker is the daughter of the first president of Jamaica.

The same rape and plundering of countries that has gone on for centuries still exists but now the plunderers wear expensive suits.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

The same rape and plundering of countries that has gone on for centuries still exists but now the plunderers wear expensive suits.

Yep, and they have titles like governor, senator and president. But that's an improvement over cutlases and canon.

Dusty's picture
Dusty
Quote Dusty:

Yep, and they have titles like governor, senator and president. But that's an improvement over cutlases and canon.

And titles like CEO and banker too.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Currently Chatting

GOP Blocks Equal Pay...again.

Just in time for election season, Senate Republicans blocked legislation aimed at closing the gender pay gap. For the third time since 2012, Republicans refused to allow debate on the Paycheck Fairness Act, and reminded women that the GOP doesn't believe in equal pay for equal work.