I'm REALLY concerned about people who only watch Fox News

18 posts / 0 new

I'm an open minded independent so I subject myself to news from all sources from both the left and right so that I can get an accurate feel for what's really going on in the world. That's how I recently descovered Thom Hartmann's highly informative radio show.

Coming from a conservative family, I'm a bit concerned with people who subject themselves ONLY to Fox News and conservative blogs. I have family members who do this and it's astonishing to me how much they DON'T know as they are simply not exposed to all the facts. They're not getting both sides of the story in most cases and this leaves them vulnerable to welll...well 'brainwashing' to be frank.

I think the same could be true on the liberal side as well. I think it's very dangerous for anyone to subject themselves to news (sometimes propaganda) to just one side.

Just like a judge or a jury we need to know all the facts.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Comments

I have concerns about TV news being called news. It's all pure junk in terms of actually understanding the world around us.

That said, I too think it's important to get information from several sources, even ones that seem unsavory. I just don't think TV needs to be one of those sources!

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason

True. Thank god for the Internet. While you have to be careful with any information found on the web, it has definitely opened the door to a wealth of information that simply wasn't available to the public before. Some people are actually afraid that the government will try to shut down or limit the flow of freedom of speech on the web. Unless he's recently changed his stance, John McCain supports legislation to limit our freedom on the net http://rawstory.com/2009/2009/10/mccain-net-neutrality/

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

The only thing I miss by not subjecting myself to the torture of watching FAUX is the daily GOP talking points. I get them out of the atmosphere anyway, but this would source them more clearly.

The problem for progressives is that there is still no truly Left perspective on the news anywhere. Other than very marginal outlets or the internet. If you have to go looking for it, it will be a minority report in the American mediascape.

FAUX is disinfotainment. MSNBC is moderately "liberal" infotainment. PBS is another corporate voice. As are all the network news and CNN, etc.

Unless you begin with a knowledge of the lies and filters, how can anyone interpret what is not talked about as well as what is fed to us as news?

Randi and Thom tell us to go do the research and reading, not to trust them. I don't get the same message from the 'gurus' on the Right. They are our authorities at least in their own minds.

DRC's picture
DRC

I'm a bit concerned with people who subject themselves ONLY to Liberal news and progressive blogs.

But, I try not to judge them too harshly for being misguided.

slabmaster

Unfortunately, liberal news sources are the only place you can get actual news that's true.

Art's picture
Art

I have an elderly friend who watches ONLY Fox "news" and I have to say she behaves as if she is in the grip of a mind-control cult. If I am there visiting her while the TV is on, it is interesting their spin for a while, but her outbursts of angry moral indignance at the Democrats kind of ruins the visit. She knows I am a Democrat and has those outbursts for my benefit, but I calmly inform her that she is repeating propaganda. But it is good for me to see her slavish devotion to outright lies.

Gnarlodious's picture
Gnarlodious

Liberal news sources are as biases as Fox News.......

We really do not have a news source in this country anymore that is not pushing an agenda. NBC is obviously Liberal as is ABC and CBS. Fox is Fox CNN, well does anyone even listen to them anymore?????? Daytime radio talk shows from either side of the aisle (hartman for example) are opinion shows. Just try to find a news broadcast that is unbiased. If you do please let me know

Colo001's picture
Colo001
NBC is obviously Liberal as is ABC and CBS.
Yikes!!

Art's picture
Art

I want to say that I think the concept of objective journalism is in and of itself bunk. Such a thing is not possible and if it were it would be too boring to consume.

It's not how journalism began (pay attention to the names of old newspapers, they clearly have a political background). The idea was cooked up when consolidation began happening. In order to appease the FCC, the mantra began to be, "don't fear consolidated control of media, we'll be objective, we promise."

Instead of people fighting against media monopolies, they some how bought into this lie and began actually helping the consolidation movement by insisting on something that's not even possible: objective journalism.

Journalism is so much easier to consume when you know the perspective of the journalist. That's why sources that have a clear bias are always more popular.

It's not bad to have an opinion, it's bad to pretend you don't.

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason

The US doesn't have any liberal media.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

I'ld like to know how that assertion of a "liberal media" comes about. My theory is that, if they report any news that reflects badly on Conservatives, then it must be liberal. If it reflects badly on Liberals, then it's fair and balanced. Isn't the news just news?

Art's picture
Art

I don't know Art, does it have to be TRUE to be news?

meljomur's picture
meljomur

That's what I always thought

Art's picture
Art
Quote slabmaster:

I'm a bit concerned with people who subject themselves ONLY to Liberal news and progressive blogs.

But, I try not to judge them too harshly for being misguided.

Touche! As member of the Tea Party Patriot forum I get a good idea of their perspective. They aren't interested in issues and facts. They prefer the echo chamber of like minds, sensational stories and conspiracy theories like FEMA concentration camps. They prefer talking about "ideology", "Constitutionally Limited Gov't", "free markets", "liberty", etc without being able (willing) to define those terms. They resist the idea of discussing issues. Instead they want to discuss ideology, but only in terms of buzz words, not anything concrete. I've learned a lot about the Constitution and current issues through my prep research. Alas, no one will respond in kind. IMO, these people are unreachable and will go back to sleep after the election. I hope I'm wrong.

maraden's picture
maraden
Quote maraden:

Touche! As member of the Tea Party Patriot forum I get a good idea of their perspective.

Are you saying that these "liberals" who subject themselves ONLY to liberal media and blogs are over at your conservative forum and blog?

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Jason, while I alwasy recommend making up your own mind, the idea that journalism as opposed to opinion pieces is not possible is an insult to the memory of Edward R. Murrow and some others in his line of work.

The big problem is speaking truth to power when money can speak power to truth. The "Fourth Estate" is given privileges and the power to earn far more money than is deserved by its service to America. But the answer is not to take away the Fourth Estate, it is to make it happen. That means getting it independent from dominance by the powers that be.

We have a bevy of Corporate sources saying virtually the same things, and then we have the FAUX cover-up for Rightwing Power and Megaphone for its marginal radicals. The tea parties are subsidized by Freedom Works and publicized by FAUX. The messages make no sense. Were they about the real pain and causes for anger working people suffer instead of the lost White brand for America, the corporate support would disappear. The media simply ignore big peace and union protests.

If cons want to think that my mind is narrow because I don't fill it with Hannity or Beck, believe me, there are far more interesting ideas out there that confront my expectations. And for those who worry that kids are getting their news from Stewart and Colbert, stop. They are getting very good and reliable information, plus the ability to see throught the lies. And they are laughing at the ridiculous instead of being intimidated by it.

DRC's picture
DRC

News is similar to history in the sense that it's "his story". A writer can purposely leave out certain critical facts or details to manipulate the perception.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.