My afternoon nap.

4 posts / 0 new

My afternoon nap.

So here I am on a beautiful spring day. I have finished my chores; I went with my wife and got hay for the horse. Then I fixed the fuel line on the chainsaw.

I am close to running out of split fire wood and need to cut some more out of the pile. The saw is working fine and I have split enough to last another month. May, should warm up pretty good so we just need a little wood for the chilly mornings.

I have had a little bit of lunch and I am starting to feel the need for an afternoon nap. That sounds great!

I pop up the umbrella on the back deck and get cozy in my chair with my feet up. The birds are chirping and the breeze is blowing the wind chimes.

This is about as perfect a time as you can get to doze off. Untill;

POW POW POW POW…..

I quickly realize that this was the weekend for the gun show. And them boys down the valley have lots of fresh ammo to burn up. It sounds like a few big assed new guns too.

Now, we live out in the county, and it is perfectly legal for them to shoot up that old car out in the field if they want too. Hell, I have a few guns too, and I feel the need to knock off a few rounds myself once in a while.

But my perfect moment for the perfect afternoon nap has come and gone. It is likely not to reappear for several weeks. So I ask the question again as I have before, where do my rights end and yours begin.

I would say that the practical (and quite selfish I will admit) answer would be to require mufflers on guns as we do on cars. Even my chain saw and lawn mower have a muffler. But on a gun, a muffler is called a silencer and they are very illegal. It seems that having a silencer on a gun makes it a more dangerous gun.

But today I don’t think I would mind that. In fact I believe that today I could support a law requiring that a person can only shoot a gun on his property out in the county on a sunny Sunday afternoon, if the gun is fitted with a properly functioning silencer.

I mean MUFFLER!

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

Comments

Afternoon naps are the best! Right in the middle of the day :-)

Count your blessings pal, if ya lived in the city the gunfire would be more troublesome.

Nice post, enjoyed the read.

Buck Flood

It's like music........

I agree with you though. Cans for firearms should be legal across the board. I have several, and they are a great benefit.

slabmaster

I always thought it was a stupid law!

The gang bangers wouldn't bother with them and the cops don't need them.

The military needs flash suppression.

If you think about it, the people that need them the most are the hunters.

Contrary to popular belief and fireside stories, the second shot is often the more important. Not scaring the animal away, especially if it is wounded, would be real helpful in a hunt. It would help the other hunters too.

The archery guys have a hard time putting the sneak on an animal but they do have the benefit of a quiet shot.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.