The Radical Middle

4 posts / 0 new

Most Americans consider themselves neither right nor left, but independent and centrist.

This is not a negative position, but is an emphatic statement that they don't buy into the extremist visions of either right or left.

Yet they know what they want and have fought and died in wars from 1776 to the 20th century to preserve it.

They are the Radical Middle.

Where do you fit in?

Read more of this extract from Thom's book, "We the People: A Call to Take Back America".

SueN's picture
SueN

Comments

The problem with the "middle" way of thinking is that there is no room between the cheeks of the duopoly, and you don't want to ask where being in the middle of that butt puts you.

Independent is a way of saying a pox on 'both houses.' It does not tell me where on the political compass this anti-DC feeling or thinking comes from. It is definitely not a "corporate lite" desire for compromise in the DC bubble they oppose.

Tea Party cannot be a "radical middle" position, but neither is the Nader rejection of the duopoly for its Corporate Domination. There is a difference between a recognition that what is is not healthy and needs serious change and fear that change is going to make a bad situation worse.

There is also a difference between reacting against what has been established and found wanting and what is projected and feared, but has never been tried. After experiencing the ideological experiment of Supply Side and PNAC, I think the Progressive Agenda deserves a similar free run to see if it works. For those convinced that it cannot work, I only remind you that we felt the same way about Reaganomics and the aggressive Cold War dirty tricks subversion of democracies.

I think the failure of your program should involve some reflection and repentance. It does not justify the criticism of alternatives as if they were heresy. Your Gospel of Wealth is heresy and it sucks in the real world. Go find a new way to be a conservative or just shut up and stop confirming the fact that you are a fool.

DRC's picture
DRC

When we measure left and right along a two-dimensional line, particularly if it is a short line because one party has moved towards the other, then anyone who is not at either extreme is perforce squashed into the middle, a very uncompfortable place to be. But if they can spread out into a third dimension, either side of the line, then there is room for different shades of belief. Add a fourth dimension, time, and the center may shift from generation to generation or even faster.

I would argue that the nominal parties of the left and of the right do not represent the left and the right of the population, anyway. They may be overly influenced by extremists (whether political extremists or financial interests), or shift position in the hope of picking up more sponsors or voters. The minority who make themselaves heard may not be representative of the population as a whole.

And for some people politics is a sport, where it is more imprtant to be on the winning team than to vote in your own interests.

A major problem is that there is so much misinformation fogging all the issues. Economics seems to be all theories and few verifiable facts. It ought to be standard that all laws passed should have before and after statistics collected where possible by a nonpartisan department.

SueN's picture
SueN

DRC wrote: "There is a difference between a recognition that what is is not healthy and needs serious change and fear that change is going to make a bad situation worse."

Sue wrote: "A major problem is that there is so much misinformation fogging all the issues."

------

I think its probably the misinformation that contributes to the fear of change..Thom plays an important role in correcting that misinformation.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Our kids are counting on us to reverse austerity.

According to UNICEF, even in the world's richest countires, children remain “the most enduring victims” of the recession. In the last six years, 2.6 million more kids have fallen below the poverty line, and more than half of them live right here in the United States.