Is this really American culture?

15 posts / 0 new

You may want to be careful what you write on Twitter…because it may be forever stored by the Library of Congress. The Library of Congress, the 210-year-old guardian of knowledge and cultural history will archive the collected works of Twitter. Is this really American culture?

louisehartmann's picture
louisehartmann

Comments

You betcha! And a treasure trove for future studies of what real people were thinking and doing. Or at least what they were tweeting.

The ordinary is the hardest to find in historical records. We have lots of highlights and focus on wars and kings. What got cooked in the village kitchens turns out to be a very hot source as historic cookbooks serve anthropology more than culinary purposes. I think this material will reveal a lot more than the trivia it looks like. Who would have thought comic books would be valuable or informative?

DRC's picture
DRC

I'd say that twitter reflects American culture. However, I don't know if it will be very valuable as there seems to be little context for any given message to be understood. It seems like it'll be a collection of notes written on scraps of paper collected from a dump or recycling operation.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

It's a consolation prize for all those sinners who will not be raptured, they can be immortalized on Twitter.

Choco's picture
Choco

What is a twitter?

I've heard the term used, but haven't the foggiest why someone would post there. Is it like Facebook, or the predessesor to Facebook?(whatever that was called)

slabmaster

You set up a Twitter account and post to it. You send the link to your friends or if you have blog or web site put the link there.

The Internet in general is an excellent reflection of the culture (or lack of it) so much more than ever before. It is the height of free speech and so much so that some government officials and corporate CEO's seem to want to reign it in. Tough!

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I'm not so well versed on Twitter either, but I think it works kind of like your own personal chat room, interconnected with other personal chat rooms.

drew013's picture
drew013

Is the message board?

planetxan's picture
planetxan

drew, click on a Twitter link sometime and find out. No it is not a chat room. You can only post up to 144 chars in a message. A lot of it is "I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch today" kind of stuff. People can subscribe to your Tweets (calling "following"). I have one for my web site (which will remain anon here). Surprised Thom hasn't added one. Gotta be non-conformist sometimes I guess. My non-conformist thing is to not have a Facebook page.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

All I know is, Keith is hooked on twitter. Yeah. It must be really addictive.

DRC's picture
DRC

i'll probably get a twitter in a few years. it's about the same amount of time it took me to finally try a blog for a few months.

i have no facebook, myspace, or twitter mainly because i know no one really gives a damn about what i'm doing in my life, and the ones who do i can fire an e-mail and let them know. i get way more than 140 characters to do that.

jcarti01's picture
jcarti01

Truly funny twitter cartoon:

Futureman explains Twitter

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns

Or what if real life were like the Internet:

http://www.credoaction.com/comics/2010/04/if-real-life-were-more-like-th...

And day by day real life is getting more that way.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Which makes a comic imagination redundant. Just transcribe.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote captbebops:

drew, click on a Twitter link sometime and find out. No it is not a chat room. You can only post up to 144 chars in a message. A lot of it is "I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch today" kind of stuff. People can subscribe to your Tweets (calling "following"). I have one for my web site (which will remain anon here). Surprised Thom hasn't added one. Gotta be non-conformist sometimes I guess. My non-conformist thing is to not have a Facebook page.

Kind of what I had envisioned from what I had heard. Not too sure I want to spend a lot of time reading about the lunch menus of strangers or the like, though.

drew013's picture
drew013

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.