They couldn't find a single African American...not one!

19 posts / 0 new

In Strange news...Yesterday, the conservative National Review Online (NRO) hosted an online “symposium” for “some economics and civil-rights analysts to share their thoughts on the topic.” Their conclusion was that “Discrimination is an insufficient explanation for black unemployment.” Apparently, as proof of the problem of black unemployment, they couldn’t find one black person for their symposium? Not one? No - they couldn't find, or didn't find one single African American for their panel on Black Unemployment.

louisehartmann's picture
louisehartmann

Comments

Remember racism is a White problem. One could see this as an "expert" panel except for the fact that what was needed was perspective on racism and not examples of it.

Along the same lines, George Will tried to argue that the socio-economic conditions of urban black schools and suburb glitz are not the important factor in student success. It is the qualities of the families, and he did not mean their incomes, that Will stated made the difference. White blind as can be.

On the other hand, Tavis Smiley had a great bunch of black folk around a table, and believe it or not, Louis Farrakhan was among the best advocates of love and reconciliation. White folks need to listen to Black folks instead of talking about how racism does or does not work.

DRC's picture
DRC

drc, did you just say that racism is only a problem for white people?

i.e. only white people are racist and only white people are causing the problem?

I sincerely hope that was an april fool's post you made, or that I completely misunderstood you.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

Excellent comment DRC. In redneck ville Paso Robles this comes up a lot. What constitutes "racism". Minorities in the US can be bigoted and or prejudiced, but it takes the control of power and the ability to deny same to others to be racist.

norske's picture
norske

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

Main Entry: rac·ism Pronunciation: \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\Function: nounDate: 1933

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

rac·ist \-sist also -shist\ noun or adjective

norske, you're wrong, again.

What you're describing is called "institutionalization". Institutionalized Racism in THIS country is white installed; but, racism is for everyone.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

"norske, you're wrong, again." KC

I saw this setup from a mile away. I disagree.

norske's picture
norske

I don't care whether you disagree or not. Not 1 single dictionary agrees with your absolutely ridiculous and reckless interpretation of the word Racism.

Racism is 1 thing: The elevation of 1 or more races above another based on a belief of biological superiority. It has absolutely nothing to do with who is in power. If someone believes they are superior because of their biology, regardless of skin color, THEY ARE RACIST.

The correct term for what you are describing is called "INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM". It's a massive difference.

I've dealt with a lot of racist people from all walks of life to know that this reckless belief of "Only white people are racist!" is as damaging to race relations as angry white supremists.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

This is the usual KC parsing of language to score a point, knowing all along what the real point was. Surely you have better ways to use your ample abilities than to discuss the differences between the context in which "racism" was used and "institutional racism." I know that words matter a lot with you and their proper context, but this bait and switch is even too much for you.

I wrote pages about this folly on the local blog with the SLO County hicks when Sotomayor was appointed and then confirmed to SCOTUS.

You know what DRC referred too as well as you know what I meant. Get over yourself my young friend.

norske's picture
norske

norske, it's called getting facts straight. It's more than just parsing language. You said specifically in your post no miroity could be racist, they could be "bigoted" but not racist.

You're wrong. You clearly do not know what those words mean.

This is actually a MAJOR issue, and in my experience people who sit around theorizing new definitions to words only perpetuates the race disparity in this country - directly hindering race relations and actual REAL discussions. Instead of making reckless statements of "Only whites can be racist" while "making new definitions of these terms" you should be discussing the actual effects of institutionalized racism in combination with the hard racism of hard core minority groups as they butt heads with racist white supremists.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner
Quote DRC:

On the other hand, Tavis Smiley had a great bunch of black folk around a table, and believe it or not, Louis Farrakhan was among the best advocates of love and reconciliation. White folks need to listen to Black folks instead of talking about how racism does or does not work.

People like Farrakhan, Nagil, Sharpton Jackson etc, extort their living by being race baiters.

bufffalo1's picture
bufffalo1

For the record: Farrakhan is a major anti-semite. That does qualify as both religious bigotry and racism.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

You had to be there. I know about the old Nation of Islam stuff, but he seems to have evolved and was totally saying good stuff on this show. I was surprised, but the opinions about Black leaders from White men are notably unreliable. The crap about Sharpton and Jackson is as stupid as most White comments on race are. I hear lots of White racism and then these guys talk about reconciliation as well as countering a number of racist smears.

The group gathered around the table was a very diverse selection of black leaders. Cornell West and some business guys as well. You need to keep up with what is going on and get over racist images even where there is a past. If the past is not the present, why pretend that nothing has changed?

DRC's picture
DRC

I'm sorry man, I heard an interview as recent as 2005, and the fact that he was forced out of his position because of his religiously bigoted and ethnically racist remarks, all scream to me that Farrakhan hasn't changed one iota.

Farrakhan is a disgusting individual, bro. I mean, if you can find a press conference where he's come forward since 2005 to apologize and retract his anti-semetic remarks and prove me wrong I will eat my words and recognize his change. Unfortunately, I have heard of no such event.

I have my issues with Sharpton and Jackson as well, however, as leaders they will admit they are wrong. Farrakhan doesn't.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

Alfonzo Rochell.

Sawdust's picture
Sawdust

Members of all groups have bigotries/prejudices...and only one group, whites, has the clout to enforce racism...and does. That makes the nations problems with race a white problem to be solved..

QUOTE: Well, you know, just a couple decades after the collapse of the old Jim Crow system, a new system of racial control emerged in the United States. Today, people of color are targeted by law enforcement for relatively minor, nonviolent, often drug-related offenses. The types of crimes that occur all the time on college campuses, where drug use is open and notorious. That occur in middle class suburban communities without much notice, right?

Targeted, often at very young ages, for these relatively minor offenses. Arrested, branded felons, and then ushered into a parallel social universe, in which they can be denied the right to vote, automatically excluded from juries, and legally discriminated against in many of the ways in which African Americans were discriminated against during the Jim Crow era.

So, when I say that we have a new racial caste system, what I mean is that we have a system of laws, policies, and practices in the United States today that operate to lock people of color, particularly poor people of color, living in ghetto communities, in an inferior second-class status for life.

,,,,,black people are 13 percent of the population of this country. They're about 14 percent of the drug users. But they end up being about 60 percent of the people sent to prison. And so, here you have to focus on these policies and the targeting. And I think that that's what's meant by these policies. Is that we didn't have to incarcerate people for 10, 20, 30, 40 years for simple possession of marijuana, for drug use.

We didn't have to do that. We made choices around that. And now the consequences are devastating. Right now, for black men in the United States, there's a 32 percent chance you're going to jail or prison.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04022010/transcript3.html

Retired Monk

"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Poly, there are racial issues remaining in America but racism is simply believing your race is superior to another. The belief taints interactions with different races and every race is capable of racism. I've been spurned by some blacks just as I have good friends who are black. It's what is in your heart that matters.

Sawdust's picture
Sawdust

And as noted in my post above, non-whites don't have the power of the state to enforce racism with an unequal application of "justice".. Blacks. Hispanics, Native Americans, etc aren't dis-enfranchising whites for the rest of their lives....making them 2nd class citizens forever

",,,,,black people are 13 percent of the population of this country. They're about 14 percent of the drug users. But they end up being about 60 percent of the people sent to prison."

Retired Monk

"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Why is this so difficult for some people to grasp? Look up "Institutional racism" and learn something instead of living in this black and white reductionism.

Wiki isn't the end all, but it's at least a place to start:

Institutional racism is distinguished from the racial bigotry, by the existence of institutional systemic policies and practices meant to place non-white racial and ethnic groups at a disadvantage in relation to the institution’s white members. Restrictive housing contracts (see restrictive covenants) and bank lending policies (see redlining) are effective forms of institutional racism. Other examples are racial profiling by security guards and police, use of stereotyped racial caricatures (e.g. "Indian" sport mascots), the under- and mis-representation of certain racial groups in the mass media, and race-based barriers to gainful employment and professional advancement. Additionally, the differential access to goods, services, and opportunities of society are defined within the term institutional racism, such as unpaved streets and roads, inherited socio-economic disadvantage, “standardized” tests (each ethnic group prepared for it differently; many are poorly prepared), et cetera.

Some sociologic investigators distinguish between institutional racism and structural racism. The former focus upon the norms and practices within an institution, the latter focus upon the interactions among institutions, interactions that produce racialized outcomes against non-white people. An important feature of structural racism (structured racialization) is that it cannot be reduced to individual prejudice or to the single function of an institution. Like-wise, it is important to note that once a structure is emplaced, its consequences likely will affect the entire population — not just the racially discriminated people. Structural racialization also underscores many of the institutional arrangements that are often identified as “American exceptionalism” — such as the non-existence of a labor party, weak labor unions, and a fragmented government system. Structural racialization borrows from system theory, which examines the interactions among institutions and entities and rejects reductionist thought; thus, there is a mutual, cumulative causation instead of a single cause. Using the system's approach for structural racialization calls into question whether or not race or social class is more important in the US. Instead, it suggests an interaction, between race and social class, and their consequences upon institutional design and institutional meaning.

It's utterly impossible to get to deeper levels in more complex issues if we people refuse to make themselves aware of complexities. Must we forever be stuck in the sixth grade?

.ren's picture
.ren

Precisely, Ren. We have institutionalized/structuralized racism....covert rather than overt. It lurks in the shadows.

People aren't booted off of their seats in buses anymore ...they are targeted with racial profiling and booted into prison for minor offenses. The war on drugs is utilized as a war on race.

QUOTE: "And people convicted and charged with violent crimes were always people who were going to be arrested and prosecuted. And what's interesting is that over the last 35 years, there haven't been tremendous fluctuations in the violent crime rate in this country. "

"At the same time, we've gone from 300 thousand people in jails and prison in 1972, to 2.3 million people in jails and prisons today. With nearly 5 million people on probation and parole. Most of that is explained by this so-called war on drugs. And I think the point can't be overstated that when we talk about challenging drug use, we're not talking about challenging drug use throughout society. Because it, you know, this is actually one crime area where there aren't huge differences between black use and white use for illegal drugs. It's about the same."

",,,,,black people are 13 percent of the population of this country. They're about 14 percent of the drug users. But they end up being about 60 percent of the people sent to prison."

That is institutionalized/structural racism.

Retired Monk

"Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.