William Niskanen

9 posts / 0 new

Today (April 27), Thom referenced the ex-director of the Cato Institute, a William Niskanen, and an essay that he wrote in regards to tax cuts and the growth of government (when taxes have been cut, government grows; when taxes increase, government actually becomes smaller). I did a fruitless Google search on Niskanen, then went to the Cato Institute web page to see if I could find the article. I cannot find it. I am not a relentless searcher, nor overly sophisticated in my search techniques, so it is possible I have just missed it. Can someone help me? I would like a url for the essay so I can forward it to a thinking conservative friend of mine (no, that is no an oxymoron). Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scott Hays's picture
Scott Hays

Comments

I found this article by Niskanen:

"Starve the Beast" Just Does Not Work

And in an article in the Atlantic, Jonathan Rauch alleges Niskanen wrote that there was “no sign that deficits have ever acted as a constraint on spending.” However, I have been unable to find the original source for the quote.

reed9's picture
reed9

This is as close to the original source that I found.

Art's picture
Art

Art, perhaps you hit the "save" button prematurely?

Or does the empty page suggest you found ... nothing?

Scott Hays's picture
Scott Hays

Sorry. The link is embedded in the text. (When the text is blue, that means you can click on it).

Art's picture
Art
Quote reed9:

I found this article by Niskanen:

"Starve the Beast" Just Does Not Work

And in an article in the Atlantic, Jonathan Rauch alleges Niskanen wrote that there was “no sign that deficits have ever acted as a constraint on spending.” However, I have been unable to find the original source for the quote.

Thank you. Your link made it possible to extend my search, and I found the original article. The article can be found at http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cj26n3/cj26n3-8.pdf

Scott Hays's picture
Scott Hays
Quote Art:

Sorry. The link is embedded in the text. (When the text is blue, that means you can click on it).

Ahh ... now I see. How do you <i>do</i> that? Anyway, your link seems to be an executive summary, whereas the the one I found is in six pages of pdf format and includes graphs and charts!

Scott Hays's picture
Scott Hays
Ahh ... now I see. How do you <i>do</i> that?
It's the neatest way to cite a link. First, select the text. There's a little "chain-link" icon between the underlined U and the smiley-face icons. click on that and a window will appear. For other's convenience it is best if you select in the "target" window "open link in a new window".

Art's picture
Art

I agree that was a great little factoid nugget from Thom.

I too wanted to find the original articles that Thom mentioned. I finally got the pdf original you mention.

Then, by searching for "Starve The Beast" at the Cato archives I also found a follow-up article, a 9-page pdf file, in the Cato Journal from last fall titled, "Starve the Beast: A Further Examination" by Michael J. New. He basically rechecks Niskanen's study and confirms the results, here: http://www.cato.org/pubs/journal/cj29n3/cj29n3-7.pdf. (Sorry I didn't figure out how to embed.)

Thank you Thom! I just started listening and man is it refreshing!

~a new listener in Houston.

Pfedwards's picture
Pfedwards

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.