Britain has a new prime minister

3 posts / 0 new

It's conservative David Cameron, in a coalition with the Lib Dems.

Gordon Brown resigned as Labour leader and prime minister today, without waiting for the conservatives and Lib dems to come to agreement.

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg will be deputy prime minster, and they will have 4 other cabinet posts. Only a few have been announced so far.

This evening the Lib Dems voted for the agreement that had been negotiated.

SueN's picture
SueN

Comments

Its going to be really interesting to see how well this coalition actually works. One can only hope the Lib/Dems can put some of the breaks on the slash and burn cuts which are coming with the Tories in power.

I know George Osbourne has said they are going to aggressively go after the banks, we will see. I don't see how they make these 6 BILLION GBP cuts in the public sector in the next 6 months without trying to recoup money from the area where so much tax payer money has been spent.

Its interesting times to be here in Britain. I suppose we will see how everything pans out

(Hey at least the Lib/Dems got them to scrap inheritence tax cuts!)

meljomur's picture
meljomur

Do you guys think a coalition will lead to compromise or stalemate on issues?

slabmaster

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.