Drilling platforms

1 post / 0 new

I have worked at oil refineries before.
I remember this one incident very vividly. This Visbreaker had just been built. It cost 1.3 million dollars. The state inspectors had just check the fire system at the refinery.
The fire safety system has different fire main coming up at different places and was connected to a turret, that swiveled around, so you could aim it at the fire and pull back the handle and watch the water put the fire out.
The Visbreaker caught fire and I grab the turret and pointed the nozzle at the fire and pulled back the handle and a stream of water came out of the nozzle, slightly smaller then a stream of urine. The visbreaker burned up in 15 minutes.
When I think of that, I wonder if the blow off valve on the drilling platform really function and wasn't just for looks, like the fire protection system was.
I think that there needs to be an investigation to see why the valve didn't function.

This one oil refinery was building a new flare stack. The superintendent told the General Foreman who told his foreman to fire anyone who wasn't done with there job when they came down off of the 100' scaffold at the end of the shift. The people on the scaffold caught wind of that. That night, when everyone came down, the foreman ask them if they had finish their job. Everyone said yes. That night, when the operators fired up the new flare stack, fire came out everywhere, but the top.

I also remember this one guard that was hired at this one oil refinery. He was making his rounds and saw some big bullfrogs. He gigged some of those frogs. He was called in the office and told not to gig any of those frogs again. Those frogs were imported from South America and use to show the environmentalist how safe their refinery is.
The oil companies never miss a trick at anything.
Jeff

bldegl's picture
bldegl

Currently Chatting

You don't know what 'Libertarian' means...

If you want to know what libertarianism is all about, don’t ask a libertarian, because most of them don’t know.