Art
Art's picture

! ! ! ! ! !

Comments

DRC
DRC's picture
Hey man, we're pissing off

Hey man, we're pissing off everyone.

I love the latest example of shoe bomber redux where we have to conclude that either al Qaeda is the worst tech school in human history because none of the agents it sends can do what all of them can do in Iraq or Afghanistan.  I have said before that a live would-be suicide terrorist gets a lot better press and longevity than a real blown up plane or building.  There may be some strategy to fail to get the best scare response.

What I also know is that the Bush/Cheney regime completely screwed up our relationship with Pakistan.  It is not surprising that if you are going around the world pissing people off, some of them are going to come back at you.  Rather than a "terrorist conspiracy" network, there are just a lot of independent actors with a common motivation.

MikeK
MikeK's picture
DRC wrote: Hey man, we're

DRC wrote:

Hey man, we're pissing off everyone.

I love the latest example of shoe bomber redux where we have to conclude that either al Qaeda is the worst tech school in human history because none of the agents it sends can do what all of them can do in Iraq or Afghanistan.  [...]

If what this fellow said about being "trained" by an Al Qaeda group is true the level of competence he's demonstrated strongly suggests the terrorism talent pool has significantly diminished since 2001.  As it is he is being called a klutz by MSNBC's Chris Matthews. 

Quote:
What I also know is that the Bush/Cheney regime completely screwed up our relationship with Pakistan.  It is not surprising that if you are going around the world pissing people off, some of them are going to come back at you.  Rather than a "terrorist conspiracy" network, there are just a lot of independent actors with a common motivation.

Former CIA Field Agent Robert Baer, appearing on Chris Matthews' Hardball, shares that view.  And I agree that the actions we've taken since 9/11, most of which are misguided and downright wrong, have made the U.S. the most despised nation in the world.  The war crimes and crimes against humanity perpetrated in our names, mainly by the Bush Administration, have made us all the focus of well justified hatred.  We can't just do what we've been doing to a lot of innocent people in the Middle East and expect the chickens won't come home to roost. 

SemiScholar
SemiScholar's picture
I listened to Rush Limbaugh a

I listened to Rush Limbaugh a bit yesterday and today, just to hear what kind of things he was saying about the NYC attemtep bombing.  He asserted the following things:

1) Faisal Shahzad is a registered Democrat

2) Shahzad made 13 trips back and forth to Pakistan recently

3) Shahzad screwed up by setting the bomb's timers to 7:00am when he meant to set them to 7:00pm but he didn't realize that the US uses a 12-hour clock cycle rather than a 24-hour one "like the Europeans use".

I have tried to find some sort of corroboration for any of these assertions, but I can find nothing.  Has anybody seen anything that would back any of those things up?

meljomur
meljomur's picture
Art, you are a very

Art, you are a very intelligent man, are you really falling for this crap?

Does anyone else think this is completely made up, just to deflect from what is happening on the Gulf coast? 

I mean if you seriously wanted to blow up a car in Times Square, is it that difficult?

Art
Art's picture
I did some Googling, but

I did some Googling, but didn't find anything authoritative. Faux News has been saying some of this stuff today, that he has "deep ties to Pakistan". Not surprising, considering that his family lives there

I heard the original thing about being a registered Democrat from some guy who called Thom's show yesterday. I found the same thing on five right-wing message boards and one of those guys said he got it straight from Rush Limbaugh. seems to be scooping everybody else on this.

The only real news story I've seen is this one from the Christian Science Monitor. Apparently, they've been able to find a link between Shahzad's wife and some people in Colorado. Apparently, somebody named Najibullah Zazi lived in the same city where his wife went to college. The Monitor apparently got this from Faux News.

Faux News seems to be scooping everybody else on this.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Maybe he's a double agent.  

Maybe he's a double agent.   Maybe he was supposed to make a bomb that failed so that security firms could sell a lot more privacy invading gadgets to the city, state and federal governments.   Maybe so government could take away more of our civil rights that the "supposed" terrorist groups hate us for.  Maybe he was instructed to make sure he parked in front of a vendor who would notice the smoking car.

I'm just saying "maybe" because it is just as plausible as anything else.  It would certainly be covered up by agencies involved too. <insert non working wink emoticon here>

SemiScholar
SemiScholar's picture
"Faux News seems to be

"Faux News seems to be scooping everybody else on this."

Either that, or Faux and Limbaugh are just making stuff up.  I heard some local right-wing radio talker the day after the event, before Shahzad was identified, pronouncing loudly and authoritatively that the bomber was an illegal alien, and this was all the result of Obama not securing our borders.

I think they love to just make stuff up.

slabmaster
I had heard his reasoning to

I had heard his reasoning to bomb Time Square was in response to the recent increase in drone attacks in Pakistan.

SemiScholar
SemiScholar's picture
"I had heard his reasoning to

"I had heard his reasoning to bomb Time Square was in response to the recent increase in drone attacks in Pakistan."

You heard that where?  From Rush Limbaugh?  Is that just one more thing he made up out of thin air?

DRC
DRC's picture
I don't doubt that this is a

I don't doubt that this is a likely part of his motivation.  Even when it is wrong to start a war, it may not be able to just call it off and go home.  There is a lot of money invested in the imperial reach, and even if it is a mess, those making money resist as long as they can keep getting paid.

There are also consequences inherited and policies in which professionals are invested.  Any Democratic President would have to deal with decades of smear propaganda about being weak on defense/terrorism/Communism or whatever the big scare is.  I hate the drones and want diplomacy full speed ahead.  

We have had remarkably few incidents, and the record of unfufilled attempts is puzzling as well.  The people Bush tried to scare us with were almost all goofballs with no idea how to do terrorism.  There were some American Muslim residents and citizens who were angered at the torture and what was being said against Islam.  They had a lot to be angry about.

If some have family and friends in these countries and feel natural empathy for them, some of them will include the high idealist martyr candidates or just those who want to give the perpetrators a taste of what they are doing to others.  This is not hard to understand or appreciate how we would be acting were we in their place.  It is not the motivation that is in serious dispute, it is the incompetence.

meljomur
meljomur's picture
Faisal Shahzad is a

Faisal Shahzad is a Registered Democrat

It's probably just so he could vote for the first Muslim President. ;)

(alright did Rush or Glen beat me to that conclusion?)

chronix
chronix's picture
Olbermann made rush the worst

Olbermann made rush the worst person in the world for that assertion...it seems hes not a registered voter in his home district.

I feel odd for saying this... but does anyone find it odd that terrorists try to use elaborate plots and devices instead of just using guns and shooting up malls or busy streets with the guns that they are free to buy thanks to the 2nd amendment and our friends the Baggers.  It seems to me a much easier way to cause havoc and terror.  God forbid...

BadLiberal
BadLiberal's picture
So the guy's a registered

So the guy's a registered Democrat? So?

Reportedly he's also an MBA, has worked on Wall Street and sells real estate. All of which is at least as relevant... or not, as the case may be.