it could be SO much more worse, libs

10 posts / 0 new

Although many of Obama's actions seem to be a betrayal of the Democratic liberals, they should be reminded some of the consequences of a GOPper victory back in 2008 and not judge Obama so harshly, mainly Korean War-2 and Mexican-American War-2 (the GOPper version of diplomacy is "drop bombs and send troops").

uglyvan

Comments

The "lessor of the evils" attitude is how we got here. It's giving up.

You say it could be worse. I say it could be better, nay, it *should* be better.

Dirty politicians don't get a pass, even if there are dirtier ones to compare them to.

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason

As I often say, Van...Dems provide a teaspoon of sugar to make the medicine go down. The Republicans suggest you go out and buy nose clips to avoid the stench.

There is a difference in the way they institute the same basic failed policies of neo-liberalism. Outsourcing and trickle down economics being the most obvious failures.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

AMEN brother!!!

Keri_Katt's picture
Keri_Katt

That was to Jason and poly.... :)

Keri_Katt's picture
Keri_Katt

Jason, the "lessor of two evils" usually fails me too, but in this case, the "lessor" is so much less that my reaction to our not fighting in N. Korea sorta makes me exclaim, "Whew!"

uglyvan

I cannot even imagine what the country would look like with president McCain.

I am fairly certain the bank collapse would have been postponed or canceled.

We would probably have troops massed on the Iranian border waiting for the Iranians to do something stupid. And they would.

Secretary of state Cheney would have pulled us out of the U/N on Feb-1.

Social security! I remember that. What happened to it?

Tea party? What does Alice in Wonderland have to do with Politics?

On line elections will be instituted in 2012 and in the sake of maximum security personal identification numbers will be provided by the justice department and overseen by attorney general turd blossom.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

The real world is so much less fun than fantasy, so instead of looking at what we have to work with and the cards dealt in this game, we are complaining about the game. Not setting up a new one or challenging the cheats. Just refusing to play.

OK, do something else. I have no idea what to tell you to do if you won't vote for the lesser of two less than positive choices. I think one side is purely toxic and therefor under an evil spell. Those who abuse power over others may be called evil people, but I try to keep it about what they do rather than define them as not part of the same humanity I belong to. People under the spell of evil are not ontologically evil alien beings.

The system is corrupt and broken, but not all who try to work in the ruins are corrupt or perverse. I repeat, political strategy does not come from emotional disappointment although it can get some energy going. We need to focus on the task and not on whether Obama makes us feel good today or tomorrow. We need to use him as much and where we can.

And, if you have a better candidate for the worst job in the world, name her. Maybe Hillary will become the New Progressive.

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote uglyvan:

Jason, the "lessor of two evils" usually fails me too, but in this case, the "lessor" is so much less that my reaction to our not fighting in N. Korea sorta makes me exclaim, "Whew!"

Well, I suppose slowing economic collapse is peferable to rushing into it as fast as we can.

Using drones in Pakisan forestalls the day when we'll invade it to put down our newly created enemies resulting from it.

Same results...just later rather than sooner.

The debate in Chinese think tanks is how to best manage the rapid decline of the U.S. to suit their own interests. ("What Does China Think" - Mark Leonard, Exec. Dir. European Council On Foreign Relations).

I suppose under Obama, the Chinese will have a little more time to formulate their policy.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
Quote DRC: if you have a better candidate for the worst job in the world, name her. Maybe Hillary will become the New Progressive.

I wouldn't count on Ms. Clinton being a "new" anything other than a new gender in the oval office.

What if instead of an alternative candidate or party I suggested an alternative to politics?

Poor Richard

Green Free-enterprise

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.