Michael Pearl's article on spanking... sick!

6 posts / 0 new

I used to get spanked as a child and though I am okay now, I do have many traumatizing memories of the humiliation I used to go through.

This Michael Pearl guy is messed up in the head. This is horrible!

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/articles/general-view/archive/2010/april/12/spank-and-save-a-child/

Lucas Lammott's picture
Lucas Lammott

Comments

The Right never ceases to amaze..."loving, compassionate, measured spanking"? It's ok honey, I'm only hurting you because I love you. Yikes!

reed9's picture
reed9

Sick.

Poo tee weet's picture
Poo tee weet

Spanking teaches kids that the way to get their way is through violence.

It's probably good for gun sales, military recruitment and the prison industry.

Want to teach a man to beat his wife? Beat him as a kid.

Spanking kids is illegal in Sweden. They haven't transposed taught violence to war throughout my rather long lifetime.

More often than not, a kid gets spanked for doing something the parent was spanked for.

Retired monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Spanking is too dangerous to make it an effective discipline technique. Few parents could keep the emotional distance to make a formal rite from being the wrong kind of power struggle. Hitting when angry is another bad idea because it is not supposed to be about the anger. And emotional control is very difficult.

I say this only to avoid the idea that any parent who is ever "physical" in response or in herding a brood is guilty of "spanking." I have a lot of compassion for Moms in the grocery store with three young kids at the cart. Trying to keep them happy without buying everything they want is not easy. I think we can help set an atmosphere where we are not upset by crying kids so Moms and Dads won't make our being "upset" the reason to come down on the kids.

We are beset by the culture of violence, and while resisting it is a very good idea, I believe we need to support good ways to parent including having a village of support to help parents who are facing an intense and demanding job. This includes telling advocates of spanking where to put their crap.

DRC's picture
DRC

I see two sides to this coin. When I was a kid pretty much every kid I knew faced the very real possibility of being spanked for some infraction or another. And not just by their parents. Teachers, Principals, baby sitters, basically any adult that had authority over a particular kid could spank him/her if (s)he deemed it necessary. What I see today in the behavior of most kids is the predictable end result of lack of the threat of repercussion for bad behavior. Kids being more rude than ever, to each other as well as adults. More kids in trouble with the law. Higher dropout rates. Et Cetera. Of the kids I grew up with, the ones that turned out to be douchebags did it on their own, not because they got spanked as children. In fact some of them turned out bad because they weren't properly disciplined as kids. Of course there is a certain amount of abuse that goes on, but kids getting abused will happen no matter what law is put into place.

drew013's picture
drew013

Currently Chatting

Why the Web of Life is Dying...

Could you survive with just half of your organs? Think about it. What if you had just half your brain, one kidney, half of your heart, one lung, half a liver and only half of your skin? It would be pretty hard to survive right? Sure, you could survive losing just one kidney or half of your liver, but at some point, losing pieces from all of your organs would be too much and you would die.