As Obama crashes and burns

52 posts / 0 new

Down....down.....down....the toilet he goes.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

With every decision Obama makes, his approval ratings sink. Leadership?...I think not.

2010 congressional flushing will be "hope & change". 2012 Presidential change will be "change you can believe in".

slabmaster

Comments

This is the expected result when a person who campaigns as a liberal governs as a conservative. If he were to govern as a progressive his popularity would go through the roof.

Poo tee weet's picture
Poo tee weet

You wish.

President Obama is black, he is your boss, and he is doing a great job.

After he leaves office in '16, Hillary will take over as President.

"Red China is not a Democracy, it is a republic."

kwikfix
With every decision Obama makes, his approval ratings sink. Leadership?...I think not
It's not like you guys on the right are doing any better.

Art's picture
Art

Obama is still fighting the bush insurgency...

I mean APPOINTEES!!!!!!

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy
Quote kwikfix:

You wish.

President Obama is black, he is your boss, and he is doing a great job.

After he leaves office in '16, Hillary will take over as President.

"Red China is not a Democracy, it is a republic."

His race is not relevent to me. He is not "my boss". Elected officials work for the American people. And... he is faling miserably.

Hillary would have been an improvement, and that is frightening.

slabmaster

Wishful thinking, just keep tapping your heels together and repeat the mantra "There's no place like home, There's no place like home". You'll be back in Kansas in no time (ha ha ha).

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote slabmaster:
Quote kwikfix:
His race is not relevent to me. He is not "my boss". Elected officials work for the American people. And... he is faling miserably.

Hillary would have been an improvement, and that is frightening.

I repeat, President Obama is black whether you like it or not, and he is your boss. When he says jump, you better say "How high?" because he has the backing of the army, navy, Marines, air force, Coast Guard, DEA, ATF, and GITMO.

Hillary is going to be the greatest President ever.

Repito por favor--"Cuba is not a Democracy, it is a republic."

kwikfix

What does one suppose is the cause of Obama's betrayal? After all, he was elected to office by the public at large and with an enviable majority that not even Bush could pull off even with all the electoral corruption.

Dusty's picture
Dusty

Obama was percieved as a progressive...and turned out to be just another neo-liberal twit. Brighter than the neo-liberal twit Bush, and still a neo-liberal twit.

True, he's stuck with Bush appointees because the Repugnants are filibustering his appointments. However...his top economic advisors are neo-liberals...and he re-appointed the top neo-liberal economic twit, Bush's golden boy Bernanke, to head the Fed. Bush's third term is coming along as I expected it would. I voted Green Party.

At some point, people may get that the two wings of the Corporate Party are essentially the same. One offers a teaspoon of sugar to make the medicine go down...the other passes out nose clips to stifle the stench..

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Obama could still wake up, listen to FDR's 1933 inauguration speech and break with the neoliberal mythology where economic problems are just industrial accidents, temporary and not structural/systemic, where problems are personalized and trivialized, where speculators are "investors," CEOs are "job-creators," workers are "cost-factors" and justice mutates to "helping achievers"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX_v0zxM23Q

The elite consciousness is a frozen consciousness where there are no alternatives and bankruptcies are normal business practice.

Alternative economic theory emphasizes reducing working hours and investing in the infrastructure, building community centers and redistributing income, assets and power from top to bottom. Bernanke slept through the $8.3 trillion housing bubble as it was growing! (cf. Dean Baker)

demandside's picture
demandside

Obama has made it perfectly clear that he will only work through constitutional channels.

That means congress must take the first steps in any resolution that requires legislation.

The cons have made it perfectly clear that they intend to fight any effort to bring back the laws that would correct some of the big issues.

I am very disappointed that we have not heard of any firings through all of this oil mess.

I am becoming more and more concerned that the oil industry (and the banking industry) has infiltrated our regulatory system so deeply that it will take a complete dismantling and reconstruction effort to correct.

Of course, there is congress again.

The congress would need to be directly involved in the effort and we know how far that would get.

I wonder just how much resistance Obama is getting from the Bush insurgents.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

"I am becoming more and more concerned that the oil industry (and the banking industry) has infiltrated our regulatory system so deeply that it will take a complete dismantling and reconstruction effort to correct spanky

The revolving door has been spinning ever faster for the past 30 yrs. It has infiltrated all aspects of our economy.

"I wonder just how much resistance Obama is getting from the Bush insurgents." spanky

These are now Obama's insurgents. There is only one party, the money party. Retired politicians, retired military officers, 300 lobbyists growing to 35,000 in 30 years. We have the best regulatory agencies that money can buy.

Poo tee weet's picture
Poo tee weet

More lame excuses for the most ineffective President since Jimmy Carter.

slabmaster

When an airplane crashes, there is a cause.

When an oil well blows out, there is a cause.

When the financial industry fails, there is a cause.

There may be multiple causes for any circumstance but unless the root cause is found and eliminated the potential for failure remains.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy
Quote slabmaster:

More lame excuses for the most ineffective President since Jimmy Carter.

Under President Jimmy Carter gas was 50 cents a gallon and America was at peace with the world.

Ha Ha Ha

kwikfix

It does make it more difficult to criticize Obama legitimately when so many conservatives use the shotgun approach and criticize anything and everything. Throwing so much crap against the wall and seeing what sticks seems to be the MO on this site.

By design, the conservative base hasn't received the message that Obama is the best thing that could have happened for them.

The system is broken and the country will continue its march to the right and for corporate enrichment until the people force a correction. (Peacefully.)

Poo tee weet's picture
Poo tee weet

Slabmaster wrote: "More lame excuses for the most ineffective President since Jimmy Carter."

---------

True. Carter warned of peak oil...and no one listened. He was an inffective speaker.

He relied on an ineffective military to free American hostages held by Iran...and took the fall when they failed.

Obama isn't ineffective. He's implimenting neo-liberal domestic/international/economic policy...just as ALL of his predecessors have beginning with Reagan. He's been very successful in doing that. The nation continues spiraling into decline...because of his effectiveness.

I wish he wasn't so effective!

Top-level Republicans get what they want even as they oppose it.... with eyes on the White House and Congresional seats in coming elections. Political posturing.

polycarp2

Slab, unless you think that Bush was effective in doing massive damage to America, the measure you use is ridiculous. We will see how long business as usual continues. I think the stage is set for some change, but moving the imperial "death-star" and making it clean and good is more in the St. George and dragon-slaying than politics in the normal sense.

I would take the arguments more seriously if they could avoid the hyperbole. Poly and I disagree a bit about strategy, but we both have our problems with the Obama 'team' and the continuation of the wars. I did not expect a Left Progressive administration, and I got the reconciliation over agitation concern. Bending over backwards to see if the system or any of the current players could deliver is a credible strategy even if it is not the favorite.

This is why I wish the critics could find the nuance to make points in scale instead of just blowing Obama away as some evil or corrupt failure. It is not how disappointed or angry you are that is the foundation for sound policy. It is the energy you need to focus into productive work. Given how broken the system is and how corrupt our elections are, we are very lucky to have Obama instead of a number of alternatives.

Hillary is not a uniter, and the polemics of resistance would be even worse than they are with Obama. Where you gonna put Bill? We got the best possible, considering that Dennis K was not possible even if he was the best man.

DRC's picture
DRC

The gulf spill is Obamas Katrina.

He is paralyzed. Doesn't have a clue as to what to do in the middle east. Economy is tanking worse than under Bush, Wall street bankers own him. Illegal immigration is at an all time catastrophe and growing. Country is divided more than any time in my life.

Yeah, he's just wonderful. My paperboy has more leadership and decision making ability.

slabmaster

It's the neo-liberal, Chicago School of Economics system that's crashing and burning. Any pres who seeks to maintain it will crash and burn right along with it...get the blame.

Whether it's Tweedle Dee in office or Tweedle Dum...they'll crash and burn if they don't change it.

I suppose Obama should head to the Gulf and sop up the oil with paper towels in his spare time.

polycarp2

Now for the bonus round: Slab, who would you replace Obama with?

Yeah, he ain't exactly been delivering on the ol' campaign promises, but who ever does? The main criticism I see/hear about Obama is that he hasn't behaved in a Progressive manner to the extent that many expected. That is to say that he ain't liberal enough! Leaves the Republicans right about in the middle of nowhere, as none of them are anywhere near as liberal as Obama, which as I stated before, is still too conservative for most of us that voted for him.

Anyone that really thinks that the Republicans are going to improve their numbers in congress in November is IMO in for a serious reality check preceeded by a rude awakening, and for that same reason.

drew013's picture
drew013

I think maybe it would be pretty cool if Republicans actually launched an impeachment effort over the Sestak issue. They're foolish enough to, Limbaugh wants them to. I would like to see that. I think they should be encouraged to do it

Art's picture
Art
Quote Poo tee weet:

This is the expected result when a person who campaigns as a liberal governs as a conservative. If he were to govern as a progressive his popularity would go through the roof.

Well said! And I agree 100%

MikeK's picture
MikeK
Quote spankycrissy:

There may be multiple causes for any circumstance but unless the root cause is found and eliminated the potential for failure remains.

The principal cause for most of the problems we are experiencing today is the absence of accountability for the brazen crimes perpetrated by those who inhabit the category of political or financial elite, which is the American neo-royalty. There is no consequence for incompetence and there is no punishment for criminal actions. Imagine that there are no punishments for rape and robbery.

This is why no matter how many good things Obama manages to do, the fact that he actively permitted the Bush crime family to walk away smiling with their middle fingers extended is an open invitation for the next criminally inclined administration to behave even worse. And for that very important reason alone I regard Obama as a seriously deficient President.

MikeK's picture
MikeK

He would be popular with you and your friends. How many do you have and how are you connected with others who would love and support a progressive White House? It is not about public opinion until that opinion is mobilized into political support.

My guess is that a progressive White House would be under flamethrower rhetorical attack from the powers that be, and behind the rhetoric would be money and force. Have we proved that money does not buy elections? Have we helped progressive politicians learn to stand up to money by showing them that ads don't determine elections?

I wish that Obama did not face the problems and the powers in his way. But being the best possible product of a perverted system has its own perversity. Wanting to fix the system means being careful not to break it completely. I am not sure we want to send someone who does not pay attention to the people in his way to get what I want done.

What happens in DC is not what will save us. What we do to make it happen is what we need to be addressing.

DRC's picture
DRC

Awhile back I remember Thom telling a story he had heard about Bill Clinton just before he was sworn in the first time. Alan Greenspan supposedly sat him down and said more or less, "Listen son, this is the way it really is". We all have to keep in mind that presidents and congress people come and go but there are people in positions (in reality some more powerful than the president) who have been there for a long time. I'm talking about people in the intelligence community, general, admirals, CEO's, the heads of wealthy dynastic families and so on. President Obama made the mistake of saying he was going to CHANGE things. There are many behind the scenes who don't want any change what so ever. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Obama got the same speech Clinton did.

Captain Hiltz's picture
Captain Hiltz

Probably, Captain Hiltz. Obama, like FDR has to be pushed for change. It depends on who does the pushing.

When FDR took office, intelligence services informed him he had about a year before a full-blown armed insurrection would take place in the U.S....a nation of gun owners.

Prior to WWII, the U.S. had a small standing army...insufficient to put down an insurrection. The elite envisioned being hung from lamposts. Enough people who "mattered" pushed for change...until the crises was over. They've been successfully undoing the changes ever since. Welcome to global meltdown #2.

The elite won't be caught short again. War or peace, the military budget increases every year...with exercises on putting down insurrections from time to time in real situations.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Yeah, upon doing some research into current protest marches and movements I learned how far back from its intended audience a group is kept and how the military has employed a whole line of crowd control devices and equipment. The establishment (I don't like to call them elites because elite denotes being the best and they are hardly our best) also learned from the protest movements and marches of the 1960's. You are correct, they are prepared. On the other hand even though the military is larger and better trained than in the 1930's, there are more gun owners in this country than ever before. I think that is the one thing along with the various militia groups that keeps them from cracking down 1984 style. Good luck trying to root out a group of armed people somewhere in Montana or Wyoming or the mountains of Arizona or New Mexico. I drove out west a few years ago to visit my brother and after getting a good look at the terrain I came to the conclusion that a small band of decently armed people could keep an entire brigade of regular army busy for quite awhile. Anyway, I hope it never comes to that.

Captain Hiltz's picture
Captain Hiltz

President Obama is going to get credit for cleaning up the Gulf of Mexico, and the right-wing cannot stand it!!!

(Nixon Reminder : Vietnam is a republic.)

kwikfix
Quote MikeK:
Quote spankycrissy:

The principal cause for most of the problems we are experiencing today is the absence of accountability for the brazen crimes perpetrated by those who inhabit the category of political or financial elite, which is the American neo-royalty. There is no consequence for incompetence and there is no punishment for criminal actions. Imagine that there are no punishments for rape and robbery.

This is why no matter how many good things Obama manages to do, the fact that he actively permitted the Bush crime family to walk away smiling with their middle fingers extended is an open invitation for the next criminally inclined administration to behave even worse. And for that very important reason alone I regard Obama as a seriously deficient President.

I can agree with much of what you say, but....

The root cause of the problem is an action taken by an individual or a group of individuals.

I would like to have seen the bush crime family in chains, but the circumstances probably did not allow for that.

But the actions taken by those people can be corrected. Focusing on the criminal and not the crime might give a temporary gratification but if the conditions that allowed the crime to take place are not corrected then the crime can be committed by another morally bankrupt opportunist.

If you look past the emotional smoke screen you will see a concentrated continual effort by the Obama administration to correct the root causes of the problems and not the emotional flash points.

Remember! The bush insurgency is real! Too much force in one spot might cause a negative reaction in another. I have no doubt that Obama is fighting fierce opposition from all federal departments where the bushies are entrenched.

The reason that wall street was able to perpetrate the theft that they did was because the laws were changed to allow the theft to occur. Not because one regulator turned their head but because there was no law broken.

The health care industry is taking advantage of all of us because there are no laws against it.

When the animals are escaping from the barn yard the first thing you should do is shut the gate!

Yelling and screaming about who left the gate open does little good to correct the current situation.

First, get control of the situation.

Second, Institute a corrective action that is based on provable facts and will prevent the situation from recurring.

Third, kick the crap out of they guy that did it.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

If Obama governed in a progressive manner (and what is progressive by American standards anyway?), do you not think he would NOT be long for this world??

Remember he does have a young family, maybe that fact dictates his choices to an extent.

meljomur's picture
meljomur
Quote meljomur:

If Obama governed in a progressive manner (and what is progressive by American standards anyway?), do you not think he would NOT be long for this world??

Remember he does have a young family, maybe that fact dictates his choices to an extent.

Liberal or conservative,

If he planned on bullshitting his way into and through the Presidency, he is a crook. So far, he stands for nothing, accomplishes nothing, and can't make decisions. I'd have more respect if he did what he said he was going to do, although, like Rush Limbaugh, I am glad he is too worthless to actually DO anything.

That is a new one Mel. He doesn't govern like a true liberal because he is just protecting his family. Jesus.....will the lame excuses ever run out?

Obama is an embarrassment to this country. He flim flammed over 50% of the voters. The job is far too big for his abilities. Hopefully, the country will recover from his blundering.

slabmaster
Quote Slabmaster:With every decision Obama makes, his approval ratings sink. Leadership?...I think not.
Yes, yes. We all know how much you despise our President. Your yapping-dog invectives are quite tedious. But tell us. What decisions do you think he should have made differently? I have my list. What's on yours? Do you have anything constructive to offer? Anything informative? Anything more than just how much you loathe him?

Art's picture
Art

I think its great that this website allows a multitude of opinions and keeps the postings that are anti- Obama unlike that conservative website where I was blocked after making 3 mainly neutral, factual semi anti-Bush statements. I commend Thom and his staff for not being cowards and blocking anyone who differs in opinion. This isn't a good old boy club unlike that one I ran across earlier this week. Even though I consider myself an independent, I do notice that liberals seem to be more tolerant of others and their viewpoints. Thats not a slanted viewpoint just what I have seen over the last couple of years.

Captain Hiltz's picture
Captain Hiltz
Quote Captain Hiltz:

I think its great that this website allows a multitude of opinions and keeps the postings that are anti- Obama unlike that conservative website where I was blocked after making 3 mainly neutral, factual semi anti-Bush statements. I commend Thom and his staff for not being cowards and blocking anyone who differs in opinion. This isn't a good old boy club unlike that one I ran across earlier this week. Even though I consider myself an independent, I do notice that liberals seem to be more tolerant of others and their viewpoints. Thats not a slanted viewpoint just what I have seen over the last couple of years.

I thought that way for a few years until recent bannings of Sawdust, Dr Buckley, Loganthor, RRutherford, among others that debated the liberal view with a counter opinion. Groupthink seems to be the direction as of late. I'll state my opinion and appreciate the bandwidth provided by Thom to do so. I enjoy the differences of opinion and find it healthy to read other points of view. To several, that is frightening.

Obama has groupies. Many reside here and would make excuses for him if he were an ax murderer. My opinion is that elected officials work for the American people, not the other way around. Blaming Bush for all things has about run its course and Obama will have to learn how to act like a President or he will ensure his legacy of the most inept person to hold the office since Jimmy Carter. I honestly think Obama will achieve that in 2 years where as it took Carter one full term to demonstrate his incompetance.

slabmaster

The origin of this post was the premise that Obama is crashing and burning.

Sorry to say slab et all..

That aint hapinin.

Those that hate him and everything about him are wishing that he would crash and burn.

The economy is climbing out of the ditch.

Health care will phase in over the next couple of years.

The new wall street laws will stabilize the economy more.

The Bush rich guy tax cuts are due to expire. And will.

There has been no talk of inflation or deflation or conflagration.

We will see what happens with the oil volcano. My bet is that he will make BP pay through the nose!

When has the pentagon ever before said no to new weapons programs?

The senate voted unanimously to audit the Federal Reserve. That one didn't get much press did it?

The equal pay law is huge.

If he can pull off the climate bill or card check in the next year or two he will be an absolute phenomenal success as a president.

I think there are a few surprises left that will drive the cons bat crap crazy-er.

Obama is a very cool operator and he ain't no dummy.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

I actually think Obama is doing a splendid job of governing from the center, which is where the majority of Americans are, despite the noises made here from the more extreme political ends.

I have been following what is going on from Britain, and best I can tell the Republicans are eating their own, trying to fight for its voice. I am not sure the popularity of the Tea Party movement any longer, but from where I sit, they certainly seem to scare more moderates than they impress.

Where is the Republican leadership? Best I can tell, Sarah Palin is still its loudest voice. And while I have jokingly written about the future of a President Palin, I know its about as likely as my becoming Prime Minister of the UK.

I suspect this is why people like Slab become so enraged with Obama (I mean if he is such a crap President, than why worry, obviously he won't be there next time), because they realize the Republicans have no real leader, and no real contender to challenge him.

I believe (if he wants) Obama will be president for 2 terms. What that will do to the likes of Slab and co., well you can always ask your doctor for a prescription of Valium...

meljomur's picture
meljomur

In the minds of the CONS.

They believe that Obama must fail.

Obama may not be the liberal progressive flag bearer that many want him to be, BUT he represents that image!

Obama is in office because THE PEOPLE put him there and THE PEOPLE are demanding things of him and the rest of government. THE PEOPLE are being heard and that is the antithesis of the governing strategy of the Republicans that demands the people must be controlled. Republican governance is by dictate NOT participation and representation.

Even the Tea Baggers are a problem for the Republicans because THEY are making demands of the leaders.

If Obama succeeds IN ANY WAY, the CONs fail.

In their minds, he must fail and he must fail BIG to send a message for the future that representative government does not work..

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

Spanky, the health reform package goes into full effect AFTER the next presidential election. There is a reason for that. It's just another corporate fiasco.

The financial reform bill is a marshmallow. Does nothing. Banks are still in the gambling business rather than the loan business..... Placing bets that financial paper will go up or down is still the order of the day. It brought down Greece and nearly collapsed the Euro....and the European economies along with it. Next up is Spain.

Outsourcing is on-going. Creating a job with the left hand while shipping off two with the right hand isn't recovery. When the stimulous package is done...so is the propping up of state budgets.

My apt. building is still emptying out. Folks are moving in with relatives because they can't pay their rent.

The recession is "over". The economy these twits are concerned about, the financial one, recovered a long time ago. The economy most people live in, the production/distribution economy is in the pits and will be that way for a long, long time.. The real economy has been outsourced and is still being dismantled. Even Hershy announced it's shipping more jobs to Mexico.

If Afghanistan isn't Obama's Waterloo, the economy will be. It's functioning on fatal ideological flaws shared by both political parties..

polycarp2

Well I guess we should just move out!

Where would we go?

Who will lead us out of the wilderness into the new promised land?

Or do we start marching in the streets like our parents did to protest Viet Nam and our grand parents did to fight for civil rights.

Bitching about Obama's perceived inaction is (to use old slang) a cop out.

What do you want done that he can do?

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

For starters, he might tell the American people the banksters own Congress and have them swamp their local Congresional offices raising hell and burning the Congressional critters in effigy.

"And the banks -- hard to believe in a time when we're facing a banking crisis that many of the banks created -- are still the most powerful lobby on Capitol Hill. And they frankly own the place," Sen. Durbin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/29/dick-durbin-banks-frankly_n_193010.html

Obama has a fantastic gift of oratory. If he doesn't use it as FDR did with his...he's complicit.

Don't move. Work towards putting a better candidate on the 2012 ballot. If enough did that, the threat of being replaced by a progressive might give Obama some back bone...or not.

Obama is a self-defined neo-liberal. A New Demnocrat...not a progressive.. He stated it himself. People didn't listen.

I am a New Democrat,” he told the New Democrat Coalition, according to two sources at the White House session.

The group is comprised of centrist Democratic members of the House, who support free trade and a muscular foreign policy but are more moderate than the conservative Blue Dog Coalition.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19862.html

polycarp2

You missed the point.

Obama gives great speech and I agree that he should be on the networks once a week.

But what can he do personally to make changes? Not much.

He has been very selective about executive orders and I am pleased with that. But besides the executive order and nominations to departments and judges and ambassadorships there really isn't much he can do in any given domestic situation.

What you are asking is that he become a liberal version of Bush with HIS abuse of executive power and privilage.

Obama has said time and again that Congress must make the laws that will establish the conditions for change. The most Obama can do is to sponsor legislation.

The democrats in congress and the senate must grow the backbone to take on the CONS and return to majority rule 50%+1.

That is as the constitution was written.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy

President Obama is black.

Red China is a Republic

kwikfix

Of course Congress makes the laws Spanky. And Obama can use his gift of oratory to tell people how things actually function...motivate them to kick out the crooks. He doesn't do that. FDR did.

He's a self-proclaimed New Democrat...a neo-liberal. Same as the Repugnants. He just offers a little bit of sugar to make the medicine go down rather than suggesting people run out and buy nose clips to stifle the stench

I want a new Dem candidate in 2012. I didn't bargain for a repeat of Clinton's presidency...the best "Republican" since Ike....with a Dem label.

The best candidate in '84 was Jesse Jackson. I'd support him as a Dem replacement for Obama...or Kucinich.. Jackson's speech at the Dem Convention when he ran for Pres. captivated me in '84.

A speech for change...with substance in it. Jesse Jackson Text is complee. Video link isn't.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/jessejackson1984dnc.htm

From a speech in 1996:

As we gather here tonight:

• One-fifth of all American children will go to bed in poverty;
  • one-half of all African American children, growing up amidst broken sidewalks, broken families, broken cities, broken dreams; the No. 1 growth industry in urban America -- jails;
  • one-half of all the public housing built in this nation during the last decade -- jails;
  • the top one percent wealthiest Americans own as much as the bottom 95 percent -- the greatest inequality since the I920's.

Last week, over the objections of many Democratic Party leaders, and the opposition of millions of Americans, Franklin Roosevelt's six-decade guarantee of support for women and children was abandoned.

Now that we have ended welfare as we know it, we must provide jobs and job training and education and day care as we ought to know it.

The fight was never about welfare, but always about jobs and opportunity. Welfare is the exhaust pipe of a failed economic engine. We want to be a part of the engine of growth.

The passage of the welfare bill creates a moral imperative to provide a job with a living wage for every man and woman in America. That was Roosevelt's dream, and Dr. King's.

polycarp2
I want a new Dem candidate in 2012. I didn't bargain for a repeat of Clinton's presidency...the best "Republican" since Ike....with a Dem label.

The best candidate in '84 was Jesse Jackson. I'd support him as a Dem replacement for Obama...or Kucinich.. Jackson's speech at the Dem Convention when he ran for Pres. captivated me in '84.

. . . or Feingold. Chances are that Hillary would jump on an opportunity to challenge Obama in the primary. She would mess everything up.

Art's picture
Art

what you want is a liberal Bush.

You want a populist tyrant that will force morality and fair play on the cons and Corporations with a sledge hammer.

That is not reality!

Reality is a very careful ballet of political maneuvers that progress the cause one painful little step at a time.

Without having big negative effects on the stock market and maintaining steady job growth.

spankycrissy's picture
spankycrissy
That is not reality!
It was the reality in 1932. There's a very good chance that we will revisit 1932. We've had enough of corporatist tyrants for a while. What you call a tyrant, I call an effective President. One who accomplishes his agenda.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:Yes, yes. We all know how much you despise our President. Your yapping-dog invectives are quite tedious. But tell us. What decisions do you think he should have made differently? I have my list. What's on yours? Do you have anything constructive to offer? Anything informative? Anything more than just how much you loathe him?
Didn't think do.

Art's picture
Art
Quote Art:

. . . or Feingold. Chances are that Hillary would jump on an opportunity to challenge Obama in the primary. She would mess everything up.

I vote for Bill Moyers.

Poor Richard

Poor Richard's Almanack 2010

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard

Personally, I'd prefer going from a Polyarchy to a Democracy. That takes grass roots efforts...not just entering a voting booth every 2 years to rubber stamp a candidate presented and vetted by a polyarchy .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk8pxyAWTBk&feature=related

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

The Ferguson Effect On Our Great Grand Children

A few weeks ago, Congressman Paul Ryan released his latest proposal for tackling America’s poverty epidemic. Unfortunately, the plan does very little to combat poverty in our country, and instead, continues the devastating austerity policies that Ryan himself helped to create. Thanks to those policies, entire communities across America are underwater, and struggling to survive in tough economic times.