Oil spill + hurricane

5 posts / 0 new

Thom,

I was just wodering, with the extent of the oil spill in the gulf, and it's proximity to hurricane "grand central", has anyone considered whay will happen if a hurricane were to cross paths with the super warmed black waters of the gulf? I understand that the warmer waters fuel hurricane growth, and black water heats up faster than green or clear water. So, if a small hurricane were to go into the gulf, what would happen? Another query. We all know about the dead zone the size of TX in tyhe middle of the gulf, and it's correlation to the mississippi river flow. So, does the mississippi river have something to do with where the spill will spread to? Will it, if currents and winds are right, push the spill toward that dead zone? These are just random thoughts I've had while watching. Keep up the good work, Thom. I spread the liberal gospel every chance I get. I know that makes me an evangelical, and you hate those, but these hicks here in Texas have to hear it. I worked in the shallow oilfields in Corsicana area, and, if a well is lively (blowing out) you pump heavy mud in and plug the top and bottom of the casing. Why they would vacate the mud is beyond me. I assume they were trying to impress the corporate overlords with progress, and tried to skip a step. It probably would have saved a day of tripping pipe if it hadn't blown up. I'd have to assume they've done it before, and got away with it. Some have trouble reconciling the fact that natures laws aren't as easy to break as mans law. The physics and basic rules of hydrodynamics don't look away,even if you try to bribe them.

ddpeddi's picture
ddpeddi

Comments

[quote=ddpedd Hi Thom, plug the hole using a plumbing appliance like aparatus. the plumbers in commercial buildings use a ball to plug the line and check for leaks. Why not build a heavy duty neopreme inflatable ball to be pushed inside the pipe with a smaller blunt pipe and then inflated. Its that easy. Or dont they want to seal it.

thanks

Scott

Thom,

I was just wodering, with the extent of the oil spill in the gulf, and it's proximity to hurricane "grand central", has anyone considered whay will happen if a hurricane were to cross paths with the super warmed black waters of the gulf? I understand that the warmer waters fuel hurricane growth, and black water heats up faster than green or clear water. So, if a small hurricane were to go into the gulf, what would happen? Another query. We all know about the dead zone the size of TX in tyhe middle of the gulf, and it's correlation to the mississippi river flow. So, does the mississippi river have something to do with where the spill will spread to? Will it, if currents and winds are right, push the spill toward that dead zone? These are just random thoughts I've had while watching. Keep up the good work, Thom. I spread the liberal gospel every chance I get. I know that makes me an evangelical, and you hate those, but these hicks here in Texas have to hear it. I worked in the shallow oilfields in Corsicana area, and, if a well is lively (blowing out) you pump heavy mud in and plug the top and bottom of the casing. Why they would vacate the mud is beyond me. I assume they were trying to impress the corporate overlords with progress, and tried to skip a step. It probably would have saved a day of tripping pipe if it hadn't blown up. I'd have to assume they've done it before, and got away with it. Some have trouble reconciling the fact that natures laws aren't as easy to break as mans law. The physics and basic rules of hydrodynamics don't look away,even if you try to bribe them.

[/quote]

swing1's picture
swing1

Maybe those living on the Guilf Coast will have to get accustomed to black rain falling during hurricane season when winds whip the oil up into the atmosphere.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

Watch this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SxX2EntEo&feature=player_embedded

So why don't the big brain CEO’s of the companies involved with this oil spill use this method?

smith1938's picture
smith1938

Watch this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5SxX2EntEo&feature=player_embedded

So why don't the big brain CEO’s of the companies involved with this oil spill use this method?

smith1938's picture
smith1938

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.