Compulsory Voting

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
clangman
clangman's picture

The obvservation on today's show that fines apply in Australia for not voting are not strictly correct. The fine (around $25) is for not attending the polling booth, and is rarely implemented. Once there, one is free to write anything on the ballot paper, rather than actually vote... and many do!

It's a distinction I feel is important, it encourages participation rather than forces it.

As an Aussie living in your country, what a great country it is! And then there's the tea-baggers? I'm afraid to say they would be laughed out of town down under. And I'm ashamed to say that an Aussie has been complicit in their beginnings... Rupert Murdoch, the Dirty Digger! I can't understand why the left doesn't point this out to those Xenephobes!

Comments

Captain Hiltz
Captain Hiltz's picture
The leftist politicians,

The leftist politicians, except for someone of the ilk of Senator Sanders or Representative Grayson for the most part won't tackle the Tea Party issue because of the Rupert Murdochs and Dick Armeys of the world. Politicians in general are in the pockets of men like this. As for the average citizen, the only opportunity to speak out is in forums like this, the leftist blogs and You Tube and believe me if you go after someone from the right on You Tube, you are likely to get savaged by the righties. The rest of the media is so corporately controlled that you won't hear very many ill words spoken about this organization. The best we can hope for is whenever they do or say something stupid, it travels the internet grapevine. Let them hang themselves I say. As far as Murdoch is concerned, I recently read something encouraging. As we know Murdoch is not a young man. I never want to wish ill on anyone but he won't last forever. The article I read said that when Murdoch passes on, his liberal children are due to take over the Fox empire which would more than likely mean Ailes(provided he hasn't retired or passed on), Hannity, Beck and all the rest would be out of a job and Fox would see a format change. Its all just a matter of time before Murdoch's Reich comes tumbling down.

RyanClark
RyanClark's picture
I'm all for "encouraging

I'm all for "encouraging participation" rather than forcing it. If voting were manditory, you'd have a lot of people voting for particular people for no reason. Our elected officials wouldn't represent the majority of the people that voted for them (at least, less so than how it is now!).