Corporate money in politics

2 posts / 0 new

I've been sitting here for about two hours and twenty minutes waiting to get a comment on the show. I may be able to mention this to Thom, but I'm not counting on it.

I believe that the corporation money in our political system is at the root of most of the problems we are facing. Here's my proposal: One of our State Legislatures should pass a law stating that corporations are not people. Of course this would create a huge uproar as it did with the Arizona immigration law - but that's the idea. "Corporate Personhood" will never see the light of day in Washington, D.C., it will be blocked by both (bought and paid-for) sides. This approach side-steps D.C. and brings the issue to the front of the public conscieness and possibly to the Supreme Court. Let's get this out in the open and get the issue settled.

I realize that the Supreme Court has given some rights of humans to corporations, but as yet they have not grated full 'personhood'.

Raymond's picture
Raymond

Comments

The issue ought to be drawn at the elimination of any commercial revenue stream from direct contributions to any political organization or front. All the money should come from individuals and out of their personal funds. I would be glad to go all the way to public finance and much briefer campaigns, like the rest of the world. But if we are going to have money in our elections and ads, etc., the most important thing is to get the inequality of kind and scale where businesses making lots of money can "invest" in political candidates to make a lot more money.

When real people put money into a political campaign, they may also be voting for something that benefits their business or will result in money coming back to them, but they have to use their own money instead of just diverting their business revenue. Unions have no revenue stream.

What is missing from the Supremes nonsense about corporate personhood is personal responsibility. And mortality, and a conscience. Corporate is a person like zombies are human.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting