Obama's Employment Solution: Just Give Everyone A Government Job

18 posts / 0 new

Stocks tumbled Friday after a report showed fewer jobs were added to nonfarm payrolls than expected last month and most of those were temporary census workers.

US employers added 431,000 jobs to nonfarm payrolls in May, but 411,000 of those were temporary census workers. The private sector added just 41,000 jobs: Manufacturing, temporary help and mining added jobs, while construction declined. That number was also well short of the more than 500,000 economists had expected. The unemployment rate, however, fell to 9.7 percent from 9.9 percent in April.

Full story here.

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns

Comments

When you get a Monopoly crisis, somebody has to keep the economy alive. The problem with your argument is that it rests on the stupid ideological presumption that nothing funded by taxpayers has real economic value.

Construction work is always "temporary" as each project is finite. Bridges and roads built by government workers are there for everybody, including the private businesses that use the infrastructure.

If we did not have the huge military overhead where we get the worst economic return on our investment short of just boozing it up, the tax money spent in this rat hole could build schools, fund teachers and even give Americans the healthcare that others can afford.

The problem is still the banksters who do not perform the public service of finance for the American public. What Obama can do, with all the GOP resistors serving Wall St., is limited. But the best thing he can do is create jobs with public funding to do work America needs. If the private economy wants to get in the game, and I hope they do, they will be welcomed. But only if they add value and don't just steal the Commons as a cash cow.

DRC's picture
DRC

The "jobs problem" is due to a) globalization and the rush to enter treaties to increase profits at the cost of American jobs and (b) the financialization of the American economy without proper regulation. Note that the stock market is nothing more than an element in that financialization problem and has nothing to do with creating jobs. Of course this is the fault of conservative economic theory.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

The U..S. has to create about 130,000 jobs per month just to keep up with the growng work force.

Of course, those unemloyed aren't counted as being unemployed.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

DRC Writes

" Bridges and roads built by government workers are there for everybody, including the private businesses that use the infrastructure.

Show me one construction project today building bridges or roads using government workers.

Just one.

kulak.2.1
Quote kulak.2.1:

DRC Writes

" Bridges and roads built by government workers are there for everybody, including the private businesses that use the infrastructure.

Show me one construction project today building bridges or roads using government workers.

Just one.

Better yet, ......edited personal attack - poly...... prove to me there aren't any.

1. The Works Progress Administration (renamed during 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest New Deal agency, employing millions to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads...

2. Ever hear of the Army Corps of Engineers? "Although generally associated with dams, canals and flood protection in the United States, USACE is involved in a wide range of public works"

3. The recent economic stimulus bill provided funds for public works. Is a worker paid with government funds a "government worker"?

......edited personal atack - poly.....

Poor Richard

"Progressive Framing"

"Green Free-enterprise"

"Town Hall Meeting: Class War, Culture War, or Holy War?"

Poor Richard's Almanack 2010

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard
Quote Poor Richard:
Quote kulak.2.1:

DRC Writes

Just one.

Better yet, fool, prove to me there aren't any.

1. The Works Progress Administration (renamed during 1939 as the Work Projects Administration; WPA) was the largest New Deal agency, employing millions to carry out public works projects, including the construction of public buildings and roads...

2. Ever hear of the Army Corps of Engineers? "Although generally associated with dams, canals and flood protection in the United States, USACE is involved in a wide range of public works"

3. The recent economic stimulus bill provided funds for public works. Is a worker paid with government funds a "government worker"?

4. You are an idiot.

Poor Richard

"Progressive Framing"

"Green Free-enterprise"

Typical, personal attacks when you have no other argument.

Grow up.

kulak.2.1

I was banned for calling another member an idiot several years ago, I learned my lesson.

Let's see what happens this time............

kulak.2.1
Quote kulak.2.1:
Quote Poor Richard:
Quote kulak.2.1:

DRC Writes

Just one.

Better yet, ....edited personal attack- poly...... prove to me there aren't any.

....edited personal attack - poly.....

Poor Richard

"Progressive Framing"

"Green Free-enterprise"

Kulak replied: Typical, personal attacks when you have no other argument.

Grow up.

polycarp2

Poor Richard, you in violation of the rules of the Forum. - poly

Roger that, poly.

Poor Richard

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard

Construction project going on right outside my office, this morning I went out and as soon as I could find someone who spoke English I asked “ are you a government worker?’ He laughed and told me “hell no, I work for a living.”

My evil profit seeking corporation does business with universities nationwide.

Does that make me a government worker?

I think it’s cute that the thomlanders rally around their leaders when they make a foolish statement.

Still waiting for that one example.

Should be real easy.

kulak.2.1

Government jobs can be either direct...or indirect.

The Civilian Conservation Corpos of FDR was direct government employment.. The Eisenhower construction of the interstate System was indirect government employment. . Government paid private contractors to do the job. Ultimately, the contractors paid their workers with government money. The economic activity generated by the Interstate more than paid for it with increased tax revenues.

Federal Government is the employer of last resort. The stimulous package, for the most part, was misdirected. State's are using it to prop up their budgets. When the stimulous money is gone, they'll plunge into insolvency.

The federal government, the employer of last resort....isn't. It would conflict with neo-liberal ideology. Obama isn't an FDR.

polycarp2

So, if a doctor in private practice accepts Medicare / Medicaid he is a government worker?

Spin, Spin, Spin.

kulak.2.1
Quote kulak.2.1:

So, if a doctor in private practice accepts Medicare / Medicaid he is a government worker?

Spin, Spin, Spin.

Nope. He's receiving a government subsidy. Seeing patients he otherwise wouldn't have. Beneficial in a new practice....not so much in an established one where the lower fees detract from income. New Medicare patients get refused in many established practices.

Medicine is a service sector. Service sectors ultimately rely on productive sectors for their support. The sector of the economy we've been shipping abroad. It's the productive sector that builds the housing, produces the food, and creates the clothing, etc. required by the service sector.

Government employment is both direct and indirect. Don't worry so much. Obama isn't going to do much that stimulates the real economy with direct or indirect spending. He isn't Republican Pres. Eisenhower or Dem. Pres. FDR. He's a neo-liberal twit...same as the current crop of Repugnants.

And he'll maintain the subsidies for the military/industrial complex. The ones Eisenhower suggested be minimized.

The recovery is here. Wall St. and Banksters are back on their feet (as long as $11 trillion in toxic paper remains shifted to government books). This is as good as it gets for a long time without a change from neo-liberal policy shared by both parties..

polycarp2

media/ might be one, though it is technically a GSE, it's private when it succeeds and gov't when it fails.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote PeeWee Returns:

Stocks tumbled Friday after a report showed fewer jobs were added to nonfarm payrolls than expected last month and most of those were temporary census workers.

US employers added 431,000 jobs to nonfarm payrolls in May, but 411,000 of those were temporary census workers. The private sector added just 41,000 jobs: Manufacturing, temporary help and mining added jobs, while construction declined. That number was also well short of the more than 500,000 economists had expected. The unemployment rate, however, fell to 9.7 percent from 9.9 percent in April.

Full story here.

Is this just another drive by post from another neocon on this progressive member board.

The source of all good stable jobs over a lifetime is through government. The State should be the employer of last and first resort. That is the workers through the state should control the means of production. Only the state is able to employ people in productive manners for a lifetime. I don't see any unemployment in Cuba.

quaestorchickpea's picture
quaestorchickpea
Quote PeeWee Returns:

Stocks are traded by people with varying degrees of rationality- some who speculate on any news they think they can rely upon, some who gamble on the speculators, and some who react to the ones that speculate on the gamblers. Based on how stocks jump around daily, I don't think we can infer anything meaningful except people are trying to make a buck while others are trying not to loss one. I'm more concerned with the removal of trading regulations that used to prevent large scale market manipulation by those with the most money. Every trade should have a percent fee on the stock quantity and value, which will reduce "big money" day trading.

As for jobs, I consider what life would be like before nafta/gatt was put into place. Since many jobs including manufacturing has been shipped out of our country due to near slave labor, tax loopholes and lacks environmental standards, what sort of jobs can exist in our country to make up for all the unemployment? We can see how our infrastructure is hurting due to the loss of tax revenue since nafta/gatt tore a hole in the tax base, yet many argue (I believe naively) that letting business exist without being taxed in the US would create jobs and that infrastructure would be built by those businesses. The psychology behind taxes is that most rational people collectively want to work together to create a better community, yet we don't want to give while others who can don't. So, we vote together to tax ourselves knowing we share the burdens and all reap the benefits. Business also share in the benefits of taxation, and it should be one of the costs for doing business. If you want to help return jobs to our economy, rethink nafta/gatt. Other than that, monopolistic tendencies need to be kept at bay as well.

lorne's picture
lorne

The important point was to blow up the silly distinction about "government funded" work as being a bad sign because the real economy is only "private sector" employment. The point about construction is that it is project determined, therefor temporary by definition.

The important thing in our investment in our future is that we put our money to good use, either through the private market or by government. The market has not been doing a good job of putting our wealth to use for America. It has been robbing us of our wealth instead. In this situation, doing direct government employment to get useful things done is likely to be more efficient and return a greater profit to the taxpayers.

Were private investment aimed at social priorities and not at short-term profit taking, it might be able to play a useful role in our economy. But the idea that Wall St. and the Real Economy even know each other is hard believe by their actions.

There is a popular misconception that has been fed well by the Corporate PR Machine about government not working by its nature. It gets funny when they wonder where the government is in a crisis. But the fact is that we need a government that has been missing in action while it has been hijacked by Big Money. We need to lose the payoff the corporados government as we take back the one that serves the public instead.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.