Past Argument brought to light - India and its caste system

2 posts / 0 new

A few months ago I had a prolonged argument which split a few posters on the board regarding India's caste system.

One side said India no longer had such a system.

The other side (the one I was on) said there was.

I specifically stated that India was on a road to disaster because of its Caste System and HIV.

Well, the Caste System is reaching a head far sooner than I predicted. I predicted 20-30 years from now. Well, that "now" is NOW:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100609/wl_csm/306239

The last time this issue was brought up there were massacres in the streets during the mid 90s.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

Comments

India should probably adopt our caste system...income and ethnicity. It isn't a whole lot better, and at least enables a small amount of individuals to find a means of caste mobility.

Interesting that the Indian Constitution reserves some seats in its governing body for the lower castes. Maybe a few seats in our Congress should be reserved for the poor so they'd have some representation. Not likely.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Has Kansas Found the Cure for the Reaganomics Disease?

Reaganomics is like a bad disease; It just keeps on spreading. Thanks to 34 years of failed Reaganomics, the gap between the wealthy elite in America and everyone else is at an all-time high.