Rahn Emanuel expected to quit White House

16 posts / 0 new

I read this article in the Telegraph this morning.

Admittedly, a conservative British paper, so their slant is that this would somehow be a negative outcome for the Obama administration. However, for those of us on the left, who never really liked him and his Blue Dog ways, find this to be a good sign of how the tide may be turning with this administration.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

Comments

I for one hope that this report is accurate. Really Really hope it's accurate. Good riddance.

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote drew013:

I for one hope that this report is accurate. Really Really hope it's accurate. Good riddance.

It'd be nice, but seems unlikely.

reed9's picture
reed9

Oh reed9, really what a source to contradict the Telegraph.

Personally, not a big fan of the conservative Telegraph, but between them and Fox news (which your linked BLOG cites as a refute), I am going with the British newspaper.

Who knows if its true, I guess time will tell.

Personally, it would indicate a shift in the administration, who knows maybe Rahm's replacement will be a Republican??

meljomur's picture
meljomur

'You never want a serious crisis to go to waste,' Emanuel said...

They've got a pretty serious one going in the gulf right now.....and are befuddled. Rham and his crooked little henchmen should slither back to Chicago.

slabmaster

Probably everyone is befuddled by the Gulf. They had no clue how to handle a blow out if it happened when they began drilling. They are making up solutions as they go along.

I'd like to see him ago. Along with about a dozen others.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2
Quote polycarp2:

Probably everyone is befuddled by the Gulf. They had no clue how to handle a blow out if it happened when they began drilling. They are making up solutions as they go along.

I'd like to see him ago. Along with about a dozen others.

Suspend the Jones Act. Enlist the European skimmers, which are far better than the converted shrimp boats being used.....to start. Bush did it. It made sense. Obama wants to protect the all mighty dock workers unions at the expense of the gulf wet lands. Politics over substance once again by the flim flam man.

What they are making up isn't anything resembling solutions. Obama and his useless staff are waay out of their league. Elementary problem solving obviously wasn't one of his courses in school. Thanks to all who voted for this useless POS.

slabmaster

Man, the unions will be thrilled to hear that Obama is sacrificing the wetlands to their powerful political influence. Finally they get noticed!

You are completely out of your league here. Do you want Obama to nationalize the oil companies because of the national defense interests involved? Or, the Cheney solution which was to privatize the governments so it could be owned, bought and sold by the oil giants, the banksters and the rest of the cronies of capitalism?

The lessons of history are on the bid screen and they say NO to the GOPB and PNAC and this whole pile of racist and homophobic demonization of "thy neighbor." Your Libertarian personal life is not the issue. What is is the cynical disregard for the role of self-government as a common interest. It is not just taking care of myself and yourself, it is taking care of all of us together. It is protecting all of us from those who will prey on the weak and vulnerable and disregard the integrity that binds us in community.

I think Obama is too preoccupied by uniting a bitterly divided culture war adolescent empire. He is not stepping into the role of the failed "dictatorial Daddy" that Bush could not fulfill. He is not being "angry" and partisan for a number of good reasons, and we need to supply our own and let him be the reconciler. Incompetence is not the issue here. The size of the mess and its complexities are beyond precedent. We want the system to work after it has been trashed by the worst rock band in history.

The word is that Rahm does not like the Purple Idealists who think that America needs to be held together, like Lincoln worried in his first year. How did that work out? He wants to be Mayor of Chicago. He is a self-proclaimed a-hole. He could take a whole bunch of "Chicago School" with him and Poly and I would lead the cheering.

Our sense of history is distorted and we think of FDR rolling in the New Deal afresh. The blame had stuck to Hoover by then. There was no confusion about the cause. But the remedies took a couple of years of on the job learning.

If there is any single point of interest in the history of American Presidents it has to be the learning curve. Nobody comes to this job "ready." The information learned in the early briefings changes the perspective by definition. There is no way that anyone other than the President really knows, and there is still all that he does not know and has to find out the hard way. Obama has more complexity, more partisan obstinate opposition and a party that he barely "owns" than any other president.

Do you recall Bush's first year on vacation while Dick met with the Enron et alia task force and Al Qaeda was ignored? How was that golf stroke when Bush gave his definitive terrorism statement? The criticism of Obama can include all the second-guessing you want. I don't have the script to the winning story in my mind.

If you think Obama and company are not the best cast for this task, try the McCain-Palin comedy team and try not to gag.

DRC's picture
DRC

Obama has not lifted the Jones Act. Refused Dutch skimmers, (which are state of the art), refused 13 different countries offer for help, spent an inordinate amount of time posturing about who's ass he's gonna kick, and....playing golf.

He is obviously waaay beyond his capability to govern, make decisions, and hire competant people. George W Bush was light years ahead of this bozo and that ain't sayin alot about Obamas abilities.

[quote]Obama has played far more golf than President George W. Bush did. Bush played 24 rounds during his first two years and 10 months in office, again according to Knoller’s statistics, while Obama has played 39 rounds in half that time.

Bush gave up playing golf in 2003, saying he did not think it was appropriate to play while the nation was at war

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/06/21/white-house-says-obamas-golf-outings-do-us-all-good/#ixzz0rb22rf00[/quote]

slabmaster

Slabmaster wrote: George W Bush was light years ahead of this bozo and that ain't sayin alot about Obamas abilities.

poly replies: You mean by appointing "Hell of a good job Brownie" to handle Katrina? He appointed Bernanke to head the Fed. So did Obama. Two peas in a pod in selecting appointments. Bush wasn't better.

Bush preferred pulling weeds at his ranch to golf. Big deal.

polycarp2
Quote slabmaster:

George W Bush was light years ahead of this bozo and that ain't sayin alot about Obamas abilities.

And if you actually think that, what does it say about yours?

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote polycarp2:

poly replies: You mean by appointing "Hell of a good job Brownie" to handle Katrina? He appointed Bernanke to head the Fed. So did Obama. Two peas in a pod in selecting appointments. Bush wasn't better.

Bush preferred pulling weeds at his ranch to golf. Big deal.

I'd prefer Bownie to what we've got now. I'd prefer Bush to what we've got now.

The comment was that Bush spent inordinate amounts of time golfing. He didn't. Obama does. from video and scores I've seen, Bush is a pretty damn good golfer. Obama is embarrassing.

slabmaster
Quote drew013:

I don't know. If it's based on how I make my living, we're up 36% over last years record breaking profits and revenues, hiring each week, and have contributed 3 times the budgeted amount this year to charities.

slabmaster

Well, the real criteria for a Pres. is how well they golf or pull weeds. Obama is a lousy golfer. Bush was a really good weed picker. Bush spent about a year's time out of his presidency doing that. He became an expert...though failed in weeding out his own Admin...and the bigggest weed, himself..

There probably is no good solution for the oil gusher Slab....not if the seabed is collapsing which now appears to be the case. It's a race against time. The solution might be learning to live with the consequences for the next 30 years...when the gusher stops. Dealing with gas releases is another problem...yet to manifest itself fully.

Maybe Obama should put on a diving suit and stick his finger in the well pipe. That probably wouldn't work either. The pipe is breaking up.

http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2010/06/worst-already-true-BP-well-no...

More links:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2010/06/gulf-tsunamienvironmental-disa...

Just exactly what is it you expect Obama to do? His selection of advisors stinks...I'll admit to that. They are neo-liberal twits...same as the Bush Admin.

Retired Monk - "Ideology a disease"

polycarp2
Quote slabmaster:
Quote drew013:

I don't know. If it's based on how I make my living, we're up 36% over last years record breaking profits and revenues, hiring each week, and have contributed 3 times the budgeted amount this year to charities.

And I suppose it was in its entirety due to your unparalleled expertise in the matter of doing business, and not due to some upturn in the economy in general? Really. BTW, I was strictly writing in terms of your political assessment..not your business acumen. If the two matched, I really doubt you would be able to make such a claim...I submit you wouldn't be able to make such a statement online at all, as homeless people seldom have access to a computer.

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote polycarp2:

Just exactly what is it you expect Obama to do?

I've posted it several times Poly, but I don't mind repeating obvious stuff. Maybe an Obama advisor will read it. They don't seem to have any other clues. Maybe a fawning Obama groupie will....think.... for a change.

-Repeal the Jones Act. Bush did it the first week of Katrina. The gulf situation IS a national emegency. Obama CAN make that call if he chose to. It will allow foreign vessels to enter out waters to assist.

-Within the 2nd week, assemble every leading expert from every oil company etc.. that has anything to do with drilling and do not leave the table without action plans in place to stop the flow and clean up the mess. NASA, Boeing, Haliburton, and every leading oceanic expert should be part of this roundtable as well.

-Accept the offered help from the 13 countries that made those offers within the first 2 weeks. Obama refused their help.

-Accept the offer from the Dutch government to utilize their skimmers. The Dutch have state of the art oil skimmers that are estimated to triple the cleanup production. Obama refused that offer.

-Accept the Dutch offers to assist in berm building along the shorelines to protect habitat. Obama has refused this offer. Governor Bobby Jindal is doing it anyway siting frustration with Obama's Whitehouse delaying the obvious need. http://www.eagleworldnews.com/2010/06/15/obama-refuses-dutch-help-for-gulf-oil-crisis/

-Dispatch FEMA to assist in coordination, funding, etc... of shoreline cleanup. "Brownie" would have done a better job than the current bozo's.

-Dispatch the National Guard to assist in cleanup assistance where they can help. manpower, coordination, etc...

This is off the top of my head. If I was paid to make these decisions, I'd spend more time on it. I'm just curious why the obvious easy shit alludes our deer in the headlights leader.

slabmaster

Currently Chatting

The world we're leaving for today's teens...

Without immediate global action on climate change, today's teenagers will be forced to live with the consequences of our inaction. The World Bank has issued their third report of climate change, and it says that global temperatures could rise by as much as 4 degrees Celsius by the time today's teens hit their 80th birthday.