Science has discovered a new more substantial cause to rise in ADD

4 posts / 0 new

http://www.aolhealth.com/condition-center/adhd/pesticides-allergens

I think this is pretty interesting, and far more viable explanation due to the sudden rise of ADD over the theory of genetic encoding being the prime culprit.

KevinConner's picture
KevinConner

Comments

Well, KevinConner, interestingly enough, I was thinking of ADHD as a supplement to my last post on the 'Spiritual is the new supernatural' thread when your thread came up.

What I was going to add to my description of how the midbrain structures act as a sort of 'switchboard to reality' was how I had briefly read that the 'filtering of reality' had been affected in ADHD patients--and it does seem to all get back to what actions (and maybe 'thought priorities') 'different from the norm' that appear regulated by that very midbrain 'reality filter' (that, in a sense, 'allows' what information gets to the 'thinking cortex' and 'allows' what actions instigated by that thinking to be 'acted out' through the body) are affected by 'nature' or 'nuture'. Like many psychological ailments, the midbrain structures seems to be where it starts--or is 'allowed' to be expressed. In ADHD patients, that 'filtering' has been altered to where 'too much information gets to the cortex to be processed' and, in such a manner, seems to cause the 'attention deficit' (and hyperactivity) so noted in ADHD.

I've heard about the possibility that the toxins of our 'modern world' may be doing that--but, I've also heard that the clutter and activity of that 'modern world', itself, could be the culprit. I haven't read Thom Hartmann's book on ADHD but I get from what I've heard about it so far that Thom Hartmann believes it to be the activity that was already 'conditioned' in us by the 'hunter instinct' trying to be contained in a more sessile society.

ADHD has certainly 'blossomed' as a diagnosis over the past three decades or so--first starting in children and, now, we have an adult form of the disorder. What's always been a little strange to me is that this disorder (containing 'hyperactivity' as one of its components) is treated with amphetamine-like agents that you would think creates 'hyperactivity'. What one pediatrician told me once was the treatment with amphetamine-like agents is what distinguished a truly ADHD hyperactive child from just a child with a behavior disorder. The truly ADHD hyperactive child will actually slow down with the amphetamine-like agents while it will cause the behavior disordered child just to get more active and more out of control.

Many of us that practice in medicine believe ADHD is over-diagnosed. And, now, with the adult form, it seems like it might just be a legitimate excuse to be on speed. I know some doctors who take such medications that have been 'diagnosed' with ADHD......

'Just say no to drugs', right?....8^)......

Kerry's picture
Kerry

Steve Bhaerman stated in an interview that twins adopted by different families show greater correlation with their family than their twin in allergies and ADD. This fact strongly implies that environmental factors are more determinative than genetics. With co-author Dr. Bruce Lipton (The Biology of Belief) they go further in Spontaneous Evolution and point to bad signalling as the most common cause of disease. For example, Bhaerman also stated that spontaneous remission of cancer and allergies is most strongly correlated with a major change in beliefs. Recognizing the body as a high functioning society of trillions of cells communicating with electromagnetic fields and chemical signals they assert that almost all disease is bad/confused/conflicting signalling within the body (this includes infections - infections usually succeed by confusing or evading the immune system and introduce bad signal toxins).

Their theory also fits with the Hunter child hypothesis in that established previously successful genetic-somatic adaptations that don't fit the modern world create 'symptoms' leading to negative external and internal feedback which increase the maladaptation and lead to even more 'symptoms'.

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne
Quote LeMoyne:

Steve Bhaerman stated in an interview that twins adopted by different families show greater correlation with their family than their twin in allergies and ADD. This fact strongly implies that environmental factors are more determinative than genetics. With co-author Dr. Bruce Lipton (The Biology of Belief) they go further in Spontaneous Evolution and point to bad signalling as the most common cause of disease. For example, Bhaerman also stated that spontaneous remission of cancer and allergies is most strongly correlated with a major change in beliefs. Recognizing the body as a high functioning society of trillions of cells communicating with electromagnetic fields and chemical signals they assert that almost all disease is bad/confused/conflicting signalling within the body (this includes infections - infections usually succeed by confusing or evading the immune system and introduce bad signal toxins).

Their theory also fits with the Hunter child hypothesis in that established previously successful genetic-somatic adaptations that don't fit the modern world create 'symptoms' leading to negative external and internal feedback which increase the maladaptation and lead to even more 'symptoms'.

Interesting stuff.

Homeostasis and the required +/- feedback signaling pathways from neural networks all the way down to intracellular molecular activity and back to brain again may be 9/10ths of life and health. Psychoneuroimmunology is an attempt to map this entire signaling infrastructure.

Wikipedia: Psychoneuroimmunology (PNI) is the study of the interaction between psychological processes and the nervous and immune systems of the human body.[1] PNI takes an interdisciplinary approach, incorporating psychology, neuroscience, immunology, physiology, pharmacology, molecular biology, psychiatry, behavioral medicine, infectious diseases, endocrinology, and rheumatology. The main interests of PNI are the interactions between the nervous and immune systems and the relationships between mental processes and health.

I have a feeling that PNI research is going to step hard on some toes of those who still find "spiritual" explanations for mysterious pathologies and "miraculous" recoveries.

Probably-non-ADD-related aside: I don't have a link but one of the recent Howard Hughes "Holiday Science Lectures" discussed the importance of intra-species and inter-species signaling among bacteria. It looks like signaling and anti-signaling countermeasures are a major part of the bacterial arms race. Since we host even more symbiotic bacteria than we have native cells, research on the interface between the body's built-in signaling infrastructure and our co-resident bacteria might be an interesting addition to PNI. It would be cool to discover that our bodies might actually recruit and co-ordinate co-resident bacteria in the maintenance of homeostasis & health. It also raises at least a possible mechanism by which the human organism might interact with its proximate environment.

Poor Richard

Is spiritual the new supernatural?

Poor Richard's Almanack 2010

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard

Currently Chatting

The other way we're subsidizing Walmart...

Most of us know how taxpayers subsidize Walmart's low wages with billions of dollars in Medicaid, food stamps, and other financial assistance for workers. But, did you know that we're also subsidizing the retail giant by paying the cost of their environmental destruction.