Should Hispanic Americans be allowed to serve as Border Patrol agents?

22 posts / 0 new

There are many hispanic Americans serving as U.S. border patrol agents. Is it a conflict of interest? Is it a case of the fox guarding the hen house? Discuss.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Comments

Huh? This is borderline racist.

BcDct's picture
BcDct
Quote BcDct:

Huh? This is borderline racist.

I like to ask the tough questions which the feeble tend to avoid. What are your common sense thoughts on the topic? What's your logic?

I find it as a very relative and legitimate question concerning U.S. national security.

As a border patrol agent, it would be very easy to turn a blind eye and look the other direction if one really wanted to.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Yes they should until otherwise proven they can't be trusted, just like any other boarder patrol agent.

Innocent's picture
Innocent

Why should Hispanic Americans be any less faithful to their country than any other American? I find the suggestion prejudiced.

BcDct's picture
BcDct

Sorry, but I believe that race and ethnicity are social constructions, neither biological nor divine.

BcDct's picture
BcDct
Quote BcDct:

Why should Hispanic Americans be any less faithful to their country than any other American? I find the suggestion prejudiced.

Any question concerning countries on planet earth is inherently going to get into the racial/ethnic area because that's what God has created. Don't blame me, blame God. You shouldn't jump to conclusions though. For me, it's a common sense question. Something which many Americans lost many years ago. It's time to bring back common sense.

If we had a major problem with millions of Germans illegally entering the U.S. then I would raise the same question, should we have German Americans as border patrol agents.

Big problems require big questions, unless of course you don't consider the illegal alien problem a big problem then I can see why you would attempt to change the subject through PC intimidation.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
Quote BcDct:

Sorry, but I believe that race and ethnicity are social constructions, neither biological nor divine.

Sounds nice and good. You want a pat on the back?

Unfortunately, most others in the world don't hold your belief. Let's be realistic for a moment.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
Quote Mr_Dean:
Quote BcDct:

Sounds nice and good. You want a pat on the back?

Unfortunately, most others in the world don't hold your belief. Let's be realistic for a moment.

I suppose you are right. I will refrain from making the obvious point about different levels of education.

BcDct's picture
BcDct

You're also ignoring the national thing. Just look at the World Cup for example. You want to claim that people don't hold national pride? It's not always about race or ethnicity. They sometimes go hand in hand, but are not always related. In my point with this topic, I'm speaking more on a national level (not neccessarily ethnic). I should have more accurately said Mexican-Americans instead of Hispanic Americans, but then again we get many illegals from central and south america too.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
Quote Mr_Dean:

You're also ignoring the national thing. Just look at the World Cup for example. You want to claim that people don't hold national pride? It's not always about race or ethnicity. They sometimes go hand in hand, but are not always related.

Nationalism, also a social construction, is a powerful political force, if a poorly understood one. Nationalism has been the source of almost every international war since the French Revolution. We all know what the "Na" in Nazi stood for. Being a pacifist, you might be expected to know these things.

BcDct's picture
BcDct
Quote BcDct:Nationalism, also a social construction, is a powerful political force, if a poorly understood one. Nationalism has been the source of almost every international war since the French Revolution. We all know what the "Na" in Nazi stood for. Being a pacifist, you might be expected to know these things.

Now this I agree with you on. One simple solution to many of our problems would be one "country" with one government body. Most people world-wide are too nationalistic to ever go for that, however.

There's also language. Language differences within itself can create division and racist-like tendancies. There are so many elements of division and there's really no solution to the problem except for one world government with one common language. We're a thousand years away from that.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
I like to ask the tough questions which the feeble tend to avoid. What are your common sense thoughts on the topic?

This doesn't seem to be an especially tough question as the answer can be found in those that served in the U.S. military in any given conflict, such as WWII. Italian and German Americans didn't seem to be a problem with us fighting the Axis. However, racism did seem to rear its ugly head with respect to Japanese-Americans serving in the Pacific Theater only as translators.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss
Quote jeffbiss:This doesn't seem to be an especially tough question as the answer can be found in those that served in the U.S. military in any given conflict, such as WWII. Italian and German Americans didn't seem to be a problem with us fighting the Axis. However, racism did seem to rear its ugly head with respect to Japanese-Americans serving in the Pacific Theater only as translators

We don't live in the WW2 era anymore. We had common sense back then, but lost it shortly thereafter. We're now a country of scared people. Let's be real.

Btw, there was much descrimination against newly arrived German immigrants during WW2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_internment

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

Mr. Dean raises a reasonable question. I can imagine a mexican american citizen being unduly harsh on illegals who try to shortcut the legal process to citizenship. I can see a potential conflict with Canadian/american border agents on our northern border as well.

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote Mr_Dean:

Any question concerning countries on planet earth is inherently going to get into the racial/ethnic area because that's what God has created. Don't blame me, blame God. You shouldn't jump to conclusions though. For me, it's a common sense question. Something which many Americans lost many years ago. It's time to bring back common sense.

If we had a major problem with millions of Germans illegally entering the U.S. then I would raise the same question, should we have German Americans as border patrol agents.

Big problems require big questions, unless of course you don't consider the illegal alien problem a big problem then I can see why you would attempt to change the subject through PC intimidation.

I have to admit that is somewhat refreshing to have a progressive admit to racial profiling in the illegal discussion. I tend to steer clear of such geographical realities and instead focusing in in the "illegal" part of it. Regardless if they are Germans, Mexican, Canadians, Asians or other.

Again.. i have no reason to believe an American citizen of Hispanic decent would be any more or less trustworthy than a American Citizen of Irish decent along the Border.

Innocent's picture
Innocent
Quote stwo:I can imagine a mexican american citizen being unduly harsh on illegals who try to shortcut the legal process to citizenship.

That's possible there would be a few like that, but I think it's more likely to be the other way around, especially if it's a family member (i.e. cousin, aunt, uncle) crossing over illegally.

20+ million slipped through somehow.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
Quote Innocent:Yes they should until otherwise proven they can't be trusted, just like any other boarder patrol agent.

20+ million slipped through. Someone there can't be trusted. I wonder who?

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean
Quote Mr_Dean:

20+ million slipped through. Someone there can't be trusted. I wonder who?

It WAY more then 20+ million. people have been using the same number for over 10 years.

It's not for a lack of trying. Old data but they were catching 1.5 million a year crossing illegally. Not that bad for 17000 agents.

Innocent's picture
Innocent

Any american who is qualified should be allowed to serve as a Border Patrol agent until such time as that individual is found to have violated the duties of the job. Yes, we have many persons in this country who are not here legally. But it does not have to be a problem. If the federal government want to fix it they could in a heartbeat. Everyone focuses on the individual immigrant. It is just like trying to fix the drug problem by only arresting users and ignoring the dealers. Individual immigrants number in the millions, can move around rapidly at will, and are therefore very difficult to deal with, as has been demonstrated by many years of unsuccessful prosecution. The reason they come here, to get jobs, points to a very different scenario. Employers are far less in number, they don't move around, and they are relatively easy to prosecute. The day the feds announce- next week all our agents will be focusing on prosecuting businesses for undocumented employees, the problem will disappear. Treating the cause is always so much more effective than treating the symptom.

Dennis Colvin's picture
Dennis Colvin
Quote Mr_Dean:

That's possible there would be a few like that, but I think it's more likely to be the other way around, especially if it's a family member (i.e. cousin, aunt, uncle) crossing over illegally.

20+ million slipped through somehow.

Maybe during the interview they could ask the prospective border agent if any of his family members were likely to cross into the country illegally.

stwo's picture
stwo

I suppose if we are going to allow Muslim citizens into our military...or black cops to patrol the inner cities...or white cops to patrol the suburbs..then sure, Hispanic border patrol agents can patrol the border.

biglego

Currently Chatting

Should public radio program in the public interest?

NPR is supposed to be our national public radio, but they're barely covering climate issues that are in the public's interest.

Only one month ago, a national New York Times/CBS News poll found that half of all Americans think that global warming is already having a serious impact. Sixty percent of those surveyed even said that protecting our environment should be a priority “even at the risk of curbing economic growth.”