Where are you on the Political Compass?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Poor Richard
Poor Richard's picture

This website is a hoot:

Welcome to The Political Compass™

There's abundant evidence for the need of it. The old one-dimensional categories of 'right' and 'left', established for the seating arrangement of the French National Assembly of 1789, are overly simplistic for today's complex political landscape. For example, who are the 'conservatives' in today's Russia? Are they the unreconstructed Stalinists, or the reformers who have adopted the right-wing views of conservatives like Margaret Thatcher ?

On the standard left-right scale, how do you distinguish leftists like Stalin and Gandhi? It's not sufficient to say that Stalin was simply more left than Gandhi. There are fundamental political differences between them that the old categories on their own can't explain. Similarly, we generally describe social reactionaries as 'right-wingers', yet that leaves left-wing reactionaries like Robert Mugabe and Pol Pot off the hook.

That's about as much as we should tell you for now. After you've responded to the following propositions during the next 3-5 minutes, all will be explained. In each instance, you're asked to choose the response that best describes your feeling: Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Agree or Strongly Agree. At the end of the test, you'll be given the compass, with your own special position on it.

Go to Political Compass website

--------------------------------------------------------

Where are you on the political compass? My compass reading was extreme left/libertarian (Economic Left/Right: -7.50, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.08) I wish I could post the graph here, but I did post it on my blog.

Poor Richard

My Political Compass reading

"Progressive Framing"

"Town Hall Meeting: Class War, Culture War, or Holy War?"

Poor Richard's Almanack 2010

Comments

reed9
reed9's picture
For me.. Economic Left/Right:

For me..

Economic Left/Right: -8.12

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.0

polycarp2
I've always been identified

I've always been identified as left/libertarian on those things.

Sort of amusing since I reject core libertarian economics,,,,that is, I reject the current crop of libertarians...deviants from original libertarianism.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

bamboo
bamboo's picture
economic left/right  

economic left/right   -9.25

social libertarian/authoritarian   -8.46

Roboute
Roboute's picture
economic left/right

economic left/right +1.00
social libertarian/authoritarian +.056