Would you Shoot Yourself?

7 posts / 0 new

from Thom...

An unemployed Michigan woman who was couldn't afford a doctor for a searing pain in her shoulder, shot herself in the shoulder in a last-ditch effort to get into the ER. Kathy Myers, 41, said she was pushed to the brink of desperation Thursday night because she was "crazy in pain." The local hospital emergency room would give her no more than a handful of anti-inflammatory pills. As I sit here with a painful frozen shoulder waiting for my health insurance company to approve my medical treatment, I know how Kathy feels; although I at least have an insurance company to jack me around while it pays its CEO millions; Kathy had nothing. America has been so screwed by fifty years of Republican obstruction to any true reform of our health care system; we're the only developed country in the world where Kathy would be without any care options except a useless ER and I'd have to wait weeks for a for-profit corporation to tell me which doctor and which procedure they're willing to pay for regardless of what I may actually need.

louisehartmann's picture
louisehartmann

Comments

What model of gun did she use?

slabmaster

It seems like many progressives might come closer to deciding to shoot themselves than to taking any private initiatives to address health care, energy, credit, or other pressing problems.

A belief that such initiatives can come only through public policy is crippling to the progressive community, especially now that our political system has become so captive to corporate interests.

I'm not sure what the status of Bernie Sander's health bill amendment to support local health clinics may be, but it was a well conceived effort to slip something good into a package which, on the whole, serves corporate interests far more than public ones.

With or without legislative support, there is much more that progressives could be doing to support local clinics.

Poor Richard

"Green Free-enterprise"

"Green Revolution 2.0"

Poor Richard's Almanack 2010

Poor Richard's picture
Poor Richard

Don't do it! Slab. Life is not that bad...really. Perhaps you could repent and....become a progressive...then you could enjoy life more.

louisehartmann's picture
louisehartmann

Thankyou for your support Louise. I actually enjoy life now more than I ever have. It just keeps getting better. I count my blessings daily. I'm always interested in learning about the liberal/progressive idealism, but not sure that adopting it would make me any happier.

I've known people in the past that have killed themselves and never understood why. I've never known depression in any form. Pretty lucky I guess.

Shooting one's self in order to get medical treatment seems a little on the derainged side to me. Having shot a little in my life, I understand the consequences of being on the wrong end of the barrel. What type or which model actually does make a difference in tissue/organ/bone/shock damage incurred by the recipiant. In a case involving a .22 cal impact vs a .44 impact, one (if lucky) would require stiches and/or surgury following impact, the other would require a mortician.

slabmaster

If she was deraingned or in trouble - shouldn't we as a society have even more compassion about helping her rather then dismissing her?

If we had universal health care then there is a floor that she never falls through. Isn't that better for all of "us."

louisehartmann's picture
louisehartmann
Quote louisehartmann:

If she was deraingned or in trouble - shouldn't we as a society have even more compassion about helping her rather then dismissing her?

If we had universal health care then there is a floor that she never falls through. Isn't that better for all of "us."

I agree that her level of desparation should be identified at the hospital where she was offered anti-inflams. I'm compassionate regarding people that commit acts of desparation. I wonder if she relayed the seriousness to the doctors. I see universal healthcare as described by our current politicians as diminishing our healthcare system.

slabmaster

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.