Burka

14 posts / 0 new

I love listening to MEN discuss the burka in terms of "freedom of religion." HOW DARE YOU! If MEN were forced to cover themselves as if their entire essence is an offense to a petty, misogynistic God, Amnesty International would swoop down crying "human rights! human rights!"

Because women are forced to wear that abysmal garb, we are all supposed to respect it as "culture." It's only about culture because their culture thrives on the hatred of women.

GOOD ON THE FRENCH for LIBERATING an opressed population. The practice is archaic, barbaric and rooted in the HATRED OF WOMEN.

I hope they ban it here - and that's BECAUSE I AM A LIBERAL!

...and defending it on the grounds that "some women 'choose' to wear it" is like defending slavery because some slaves actually liked their masters.

Disgusting.

Any religion that FORCES WOMEN to wear a potato sack on pain of death needs to be left in the dung heap of history where it belongs.

Dacktyl's picture
Dacktyl

Comments

Did you hear the Freudian Slip from the caller from Dearborn MI? He said that his wife doesn't wear one but he has a friend who 'makes his wife wear one', then he amended it to say that she wanted to wear it too. Ha!

Christiane Amanpour had a special many years ago, maybe even before the Afghan war, that told how awful it was for women to wear the Burka. But now that they are here in America we say 'freedom of religion' and they can wear it. Ridiculous. Here in Minneapolis, with a large Muslim population, I commonly see women walking 10 feet behind their men. Yeah, that's equality and freedom of religion alright.

The whole cult stinks, only slightly more than any other ridiculous religious cult stinks.

perpetualchange

It should also be noted that there is nothing literal in Islam that dictates burqas. It is an Arabic cultural device falsely claimed to stem from religion, so support of it based on claims of freedom of religion constitutes a tangential falsehood.

My other problem with it is that while I by no means impute dishonesty to all women who wear burqas, it's worth noting that in Western culture, covering one's face outside of a deliberately costumed context is usually a mark of dishonesty, or criminal intent. Burglars, robbers, and other criminals come to mind immediately. How about the "road agents" who held up stagecoaches in the Old West? Their bandanas up around their faces looked a lot like burqas...

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

PUBLIC SAFETY -- and more about above feminist rants...

I only tuned into this topic for the last half, and heard no one address the issue of the Burka from the following simple and obvious point of view: Public safety on our roads and highways.

It's moot to me whether women should be allowed to have their license photo taken wearing the Burka, because no one should be allowed to drive a vehicle (including a bicycle) while wearing one! Even a cursory glance at the Burka veil reveals that it is somewhat voluminous (presumably allowing some air circulation underneath), and the notch cut out for the eyes does not allow for full use of peripheral vision. Just turning the head while resting against the seat-back is going to dislodge the veil in such a way as to almost totally block vision, much less any breeze coming through a window.

Anyone who has driven a car knows there are blind spots created by the interaction of rearview mirrors and the frame of the vehicle. Because of this, we all rely heavily on peripheral vision while driving to keep ourselves safe from vehicles, not only those directly beside us, but those approaching from behind, whether we are consicously aware of it or not. Wearing a billowing veil with a small notch for vision, while driving, puts the driver and everyone around them at serious risk. Heck, it's against the law to drive with a handicap parking tab hanging from your mirror, and that's nothing compared to how a Burka could interfere with the driver's visual field.

So I think that if a Burka-wearing Muslim woman wants to drive, she's got a choice to make: the Burka or the license, not both. And if she's going to take the veil off when driving, she might as well take it off for her license photo. Same goes for bicycles, at least in cities or towns where there's a likelihood of sharing the road with other vehicles. The woman says she feels safer while wearing one? Well, sorry, then you don't get to drive, dear.

As for my personal beliefs, I totally agree with <dacktyl> and <perpetual change> above, on every point. I also live in the Minneapolis metro, and I see women walking behind their husbands all the time. A friend of mine likes to point out that Islam, of all the major religions, is the only one that has never gone through a reformation. As such, Islam can and is bent to express the full force of patriarchal misogyny in it's most primative form. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what the Burka is all about. That some women have been so brain-washed by this oppressive culture as to like it, is more the pity.

What's next? Are we going to go the way of that Austrian judge (male) who ruled in favor of a Shia Muslim male defendent against his severely beaten wife, on the grounds that Shia law allows it, and we in the West need to be respectful of other cultures' laws and paradigms?! How about allowing a man to hit a woman over the head with a stone club because she refused to "assume the position," just because that's what our ancient ancestors did?

SysBanana's picture
SysBanana

If you dare criticize Islam or its traditions, there are radicals within that religion who will cut your head off if they see the chance.

Mr_Dean's picture
Mr_Dean

And, <Mr_Dean>, let's not forget that there are those within Christianity who would enslave me into endless child-bearing until my womb literally burst apart, then send my kids off to fight and die in super-technological bloody wars in defense of multi-national mega-profits gained through impoverishment of the environment and 3rd world populations, including the people of Islam, all in the name of "God, Country, and Family Values."

SysBanana's picture
SysBanana

Regardless of denomination, there's nothing more dangerous than a fanatic.

Ulysses's picture
Ulysses

Burqa ban? I don't think that is right. This country is supposed to be tolerant of religion. Look at the Amish. Do we force them to have internet, cars, electricity, pants sagging off their behinds? Nope. Besides, exactly how may women are "forced" to wear the burqa in this country? A few thousand? I have been in the Bay Area for a year now and have seen ZERO. I have seen head scarves, but no burqas. I lived in Portland Oregon for 10 years and I saw one. Speaking of: I lived in Sylvania near PCC and deliverd pizzas. Luradel Street between Barbur and Capital Highway, there are a number of apartment complexes. All different religions and races living together. No bombs, no shootings, no fights, no slurs. Muslims of all types living with Jews of all types living with agnostics of all types living with Christians of all types. No one ever had any problems. A burqa ban would just be a way of telling the world "We are no longer a tolerant nation." It would also violate both the freedom of/from religion and separation of church and state amendments in the Constitution. Ban the burqa? Not in the greatest nation on Earth!

sebastian146's picture
sebastian146
Quote sebastian146:

Burqa ban? I don't think that is right. This country is supposed to be tolerant of religion. Look at the Amish. Do we force them to have internet, cars, electricity, pants sagging off their behinds? Nope. Besides, exactly how may women are "forced" to wear the burqa in this country? A few thousand? I have been in the Bay Area for a year now and have seen ZERO. I have seen head scarves, but no burqas. I lived in Portland Oregon for 10 years and I saw one. Speaking of: I lived in Sylvania near PCC and deliverd pizzas. Luradel Street between Barbur and Capital Highway, there are a number of apartment complexes. All different religions and races living together. No bombs, no shootings, no fights, no slurs. Muslims of all types living with Jews of all types living with agnostics of all types living with Christians of all types. No one ever had any problems. A burqa ban would just be a way of telling the world "We are no longer a tolerant nation." It would also violate both the freedom of/from religion and separation of church and state amendments in the Constitution. Ban the burqa? Not in the greatest nation on Earth!

You're in the Bay Area, dude... Righties of all stripes are incapable of breathing the air in the Bay Area (the common sense content is too high for the physiology of most righties to tolerate), hence the absence of (most) such nonsense.

drew013's picture
drew013

And I hear that the air in the Portland area is slowly becoming similarly polluted... ;-)

drew013's picture
drew013
Quote SysBanana:

And, <Mr_Dean>, let's not forget that there are those within Christianity who would enslave me into endless child-bearing until my womb literally burst apart,

"Enslave"? Would you be strapped into an insemonation assembly line or something? There must be a Christian baby farm that I haven't heard of.

slabmaster

The Burqa is a prison. It has nothing to do with the modesty that a hijab may represent. It is a punishment for being born with 2 X chromosomes.

catsagogo's picture
catsagogo
Quote catsagogo:

The Burqa is a prison. It has nothing to do with the modesty that a hijab may represent. It is a punishment for being born with 2 X chromosomes.

Seems to be the case.

My sister in law married a muslim and moved to malaysia for 15 years. She has always been a alpha female type and thought the muslim views towards women sucked. No burkas for her. Back here in the good old USA (told her husband to go pound sand) she makes a six figure income and does what she wants.

slabmaster

The burka has nothing to do with "freedom of religion.” It is nothing more than symbolic annihilation of women. As we know, it is easy to literally annihilate someone, once they are symbolically annihilated. We should no more be tolerant of that backward, woman-hating, practice than we should tolerate any religious practice rooted in the subjugation of ANY portion of the population.

Slave owners used to justify slavery through religion as well. There came a point when we, as a society, said “no”… you do not have the “FREEDOM” to own another human being.

This is the same argument for the burka.

Please tell me when women said to men, "you know... we really are disgusting creatures that lead you men away from your sick, petty, cloud being. I think we should hide our shameful selves from the benevolent eyes of men.... and yes... if we ever dare show any autonomy... please stone us in the town square.” NO. Sorry. Women were not in this conversation at all - it was men who have enslaved them and now call it “religious freedom.”

“Religious Freedom” my arse! Attention Men. You have the “freedom” to force women to walk around in sacks peering out through slits for their eyes. Give me a break!

I suppose we should be grateful that they are allowed to have slits for their eyes! I mean, are we sure we are comfortable ALLOWING WOMEN TO USE THEIR EYES? What do they need their eyes for? If there is anything to see, their husbands can see it for them. They are too distant from the bosom of the creator (no pun intended) to actually be trusted with processing the things they might see... and surely they would only use what they see to lead men to their doom. We should leave “seeing” to those capable of handling it - men – who are, above all else, the most dear to the creator who *ahem* coincidentally... happens to be a GIGANTIC MAN himself and a rather supersized version of the vain, petty, misogynistic men who worship him. Strange.

Dacktyl's picture
Dacktyl

Currently Chatting

It’s Time for Bill O’Reilly to Get Real about White Privilege

It’s time for white America to get real about white privilege. Last night, Bill O’Reilly came from back vacation early to host a special edition of “The Factor”, one that he said would “tell the truth” about what’s going on in Ferguson, Missouri.