Judge Dismisses Charges Against Four Animal Activists

4 posts / 0 new

"In a rare piece of good news, a federal judge has dismissed the indictments against four animal rights activists who have been charged under the new Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act. This law was written to make it a federal crime to interfere in any way with any industry that utilizes animals as products, test subjects or any other capacity.

The faultiness of such a law has been outlined in great detail. Under the most literal reading of the law, simply being vegan could be construed as an act of terrorism since it interferes with companies' ability to sell meat, dairy and eggs. This law is a terrifying joke. It's a stopgap measure to try and stave off the rising tide of consumers aware of the plight of animals in our culture. Animal rights is the biggest moral concern in 2010, and the AETA is a misguided attempt by the animal agriculture industry to paint the animal rights community as a domestic terrorist threat.

How much sillier does it get than to live in a country where the KKK still exists, yet the animal rights community is considered a terrorist threat?"

...The four activists composing what was being informally referred to as the AETA4 were Joseph Buddenberg, Maryam Khajavi, Nathan Pope and Adriana Stumpo. They were charged with federal crimes for doing what amounted to constitutionally protected free speech: picketing and distributing fliers regarding cruel vivisection taking place at UC Santa Cruz. Judge Ronald White very likely saw through the obvious legal facade when he said the indictment was too vague and lacked "specificity" in the allegations.

http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-welfare/blog/judge-dismisses-charges-against-aeta4/

bamboo's picture
bamboo

Comments

I see Care 2 supports s. 510 food safety bill. It contains some elements that could crush small farms doing direct sales. Even though the title sounds good and is sponsored and co-sponsored by Dems. it has Corporate roots and is rather a wolf in sheeps clothing. Some are calling this possibly the worst bill ever written. From what I've heard it is wildlife unfriendly too. A deer or even a frog on farmland is considered hazardous as are trees within so many feet of a crop.

EdBourgeois's picture
EdBourgeois
Quote EdBourgeois:

I see Care 2 supports s. 510 food safety bill. It contains some elements that could crush small farms doing direct sales. Even though the title sounds good and is sponsored and co-sponsored by Dems. it has Corporate roots and is rather a wolf in sheeps clothing. Some are calling this possibly the worst bill ever written. From what I've heard it is wildlife unfriendly too. A deer or even a frog on farmland is considered hazardous as are trees within so many feet of a crop.

• The amendment sponsored by Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) pertaining to farms that engage in value-added processing or that co-mingle product from several farms will be included in the final bill. It will provide the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with the authority to either exempt farms engaged in low or no risk processing or co-mingling activities from new regulatory requirements or to modify particular regulatory requirements for such farming operations. Included within the purview of the amendment are exemptions or flexibilities with respect to requirements within S. 510 for food safety preventative control plans, and FDA on-farm inspections.
  • The amendments sponsored by Senator Michael Bennet (D-CO) will also be included in the final bill. These amendments, intended to reduce unnecessary paperwork and excess regulation, pertain to both the preventative control plan and the produce standards sections of the bill. FDA will be instructed to provide flexibility for small processors including on-farm processing, minimize the burden of compliance with regulations, and minimize the number of different standards that apply to separate foods. FDA will also be prohibited from requiring farms and other food facilities to hire consultants to write food safety plans or to identify, implement, certify or audit those plans. With respect to produce standards, FDA will also be given the discretion to develop rules for categories of foods or for mixtures of foods rather than necessarily needing to have a separate rule for each specific commodity or to regulate specific crops if the real food safety issue involved mixtures only.
  • The amendment sponsored by Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) to provide for a USDA-delivered competitive grants program for food safety training for farmers, small processors and wholesalers will also be part of the final bill. The training projects will prioritize small and mid-scale farms, beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers, and small food processors and wholesalers. In order to comport with the FDA-specific nature of the overall bill, the farmer training grant program will be provided via a memorandum of understanding between FDA and USDA, but will then be administered by USDA’s National Institute for Food and Agriculture. As is the case for all of the provisions in S. 510, funding for the bill and for this competitive grants program will happen through the annual agriculture appropriations bill process.
  • The effort championed by Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) to strip the bill of wildlife-threatening enforcement against “animal encroachment” of farms will also be in the manager’s package. It will require FDA to apply sound science to any requirements that might impact wildlife and wildlife habitat on farms.
bamboo's picture
bamboo

Thanks for the updates on the bill!

I just had hoped they had not tried to handle such a broad act with such little understandings when it comes to local farming system. I've been to the annual Outlook Forum in the past and have been shocked by how little the USDA folks know about our new approaches. I have to chuckle every time I remember trying to explain to USDA why I was attempting to create a domestic prairie form of livestock raising (now known as MIG or grass fed) instead of just doing a standard feed lot.

Revitalizing the state Land Grants original local mission could not only be beneficial at this time at the local level but could also be helpful to educate USDA and FDA before they start setting controls and acceptable practices.

I have hoped that the successes of the new small farming and food movement might be are best chance at beneficial corporate reforms.

I do appreciate that many of the Animal Rights groups no longer lump all livestock raising together which was so painful for so many years when trying to do the right thing.

EdBourgeois's picture
EdBourgeois

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.