rare earths

2 posts / 0 new

Recently I have been reading about rare earths and how China has a 95% control over this market. My concerns and questions are if we are all wanting green technology why is it still such a dirty market seeing as how we have to mine for the rare earths just so that at some stage we get a technology that does not use fossile fuel? The other problem is by using these rare earths that China is mining we still are locked out of true renewable energy and China has no intention of making green technology available for everyone. What as concered beings do we do that does not hurt the earth but still allows us our modern life styles?

twilight97's picture
twilight97

Comments

The USGS estimates that there are enough reserves in the USA to calm your worries. My concern is in the mining operation, that they be regulated to ensure a minimum of habitat disruption and environmental degradation.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.