Can somebody make a progressive Google News or Yahoo News?

18 posts / 0 new

I think one of the biggest problem in our country is the media monopoly that gets 300 million people thinking about the exact same issue that Glenn Beck or Hannity is promoting.

Google and Yahoo have done an excellent job at creating a webpage where people can read the latest news. But obviously, they work the exact same way as the right wing media, only showing news that make republicans look good and democrats look bad and don't show absolutely anything progressive except for something negative.

If somebody could come up with something similar to Google News or Yahoo News where people can go and read the main news of the day without the ridiculous right wing bias. I think it would make a huge difference in our society (if it's successful)

Rodriguez's picture
Rodriguez

Comments

We've got something better than internet propaganda. We have a political system that threw the Republicans out of the White House and replaced them with a good Black Liberal Democratic President: One Man-One Vote. The Perfect System.

kwikfix

RawStory is a progressive news site:
http://rawstory.com/

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Rodriguez,i hear you.My solution is have progressive businesses & media come together and form a good chamber of commerce to support a progressive agenda(maybe buy-out Google/Yahoo) We need to work together and support those that support us,and boycott those that don`t. That`s my solution,lets help ourselfs,to help ourselfs.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

I'm talking about something simple that helps progressive weed out all the trashy propaganda news and brings up to people's attention news that would never be shown in Google or Yahoo.

A good example of this is the webpage www.aporrea.org. It's a left wing news webpage from Venezuela that played a major role when Chavez was overthrown by rightwing fascist who control 95% of Venezuela's media.

During the time that Chavez was kidnapped and a new fascist government was being sworn in. And people were taking to the streets to protest.... the right wing media was showing cartoons and other things to take people's attention from what they were doing.

Millions of people had to rely on www.aporrea.org to find out what was happening.

Here's a pretty long article about that webpage.

http://www.narconews.com/Issue29/article742.html

Rodriguez's picture
Rodriguez

We could use a trustworthy news source, One that tells things as they are. We do have a few internet sources such as "Truth Digs" and "Counterpunch"., but they are nothing like your example.....AND, the political culture in the U.S. is different than in Venezuela.

The elites in Honduras, Columbia, Guatemala, etc are overt in their behavior. It's obvious. Here, it's subtle. .We have what prof. Wolin refers to as a "managed democracy". An illusion of choice between two candidates vetted by the privileged...Debates are about who can marry who...or such things as how to make the opposition look like a failure so you can gain their seat.

No one notices they are both failures...

The last time an attempt was made to overthrow a progressive pres. in the U.S. was the fascist coup attempt by industry/financiers during the FDR Admin. The coup wasn't successful, but did give rise to the House Committee on Un-American activities. The only progressive Pres. after FDR was Kennedy and he was to the right of FDR. . He was assasinated.. The Italian press called it a coup.

Other nations have effective opposition to the right . The U.S. doesn't., It doesn't even know what "left" is anymore. Left here means you move torture from what the Supreme Court says is really American soil...to someplace where that doesn't apply.

In Venezuela, the people knew they were being conned. In the U.S., people vote for the con-men....each side thinking the other side is being conned. Both sides are. being conned..

All the supposed differences between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum...yet when Bush stole an election, nobody really gave a damn. The streets were quiet. Differences weren't really worth getting worked up over..At the gut level, people obviously knew that.

Venezuelans were aware of the vast divide between the have more's and the have nothings...and why that was. Americans are just beginning to get a taste of having nothing.. If they ever grasp the "why" , that would be another story. They would become politically "conscious"..

Glad to see you back Rodiguez. I came to rely on you for info. on Venezuela.. How's the new high speed rail system coming along?.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

I run a progressive news site/blog, but it's certainly not as comprehensive as Yahoo or Google News :)

I post Thom's blog entries on there from time to time (with permission of course) and also accept articles/contributions from others.

www.politigarb.com

erjenkins1's picture
erjenkins1

Polycarp2, I haven't kept up with things over there, but I'll check for you. Here's a webpage that I've found reliable for many years and its in English.

http://www.vheadline.com/main.asp

I'll come back in the evening and reply to all the comments that you gave.

Rodriguez's picture
Rodriguez

And there is also BuzzFlash:

http://buzzflash.com/

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Thanks everybody for info,it`s good to see everybody on the same page.It would be real nice to see all these websites "work together" to create what we all agree,we need something more progressive then Google. Can the websites have a "Meeting Of The Minds"?

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote tayl44:

Rodriguez,i hear you.My solution is have progressive businesses & media come together and form a good chamber of commerce to support a progressive agenda(maybe buy-out Google/Yahoo) We need to work together and support those that support us,and boycott those that don`t. That`s my solution,lets help ourselfs,to help ourselfs.

Pressing an agenda to the exclusion of all others sounds very much like "If you're not with us, you're against us." You are advocating for what you're advocating against, YOU want to impose your will upon others.

Kenny Kamel's picture
Kenny Kamel

Well, its called a strike or a boycott....both of which were used to obtain an 8 hour day, a 5 day week....and not being required to go to church on Sunday to keep your job. Stuff like that.

Besides, the corporate media does the excluding. When's the last time you heard Grace Lee Boggs, Noam Chomsky or David Korten present their views on commercial TV?

What did you think of the speech given by the presidental candidate of the Green Party at their National Convention? Who covered it?

If you want U.S. news, you'll find at least some of it with a foreign news source. Otherwise, you'll have to be content with who murdered who and how much alimony the scandal of the week was awarded.Then you can listen to the local favored politician mouth the views of the station....probably owned by one of six major media corporations that control 80% of it..

There is no "left" in this country because there is no "left" with a voice.. It's so absent, that what was once considered moderately conservative is now considered left.....and even a bit radical.

When I was young, there was a huge ocean between righties and leftists. Not a puddle.a flea could jump over..

Left was once defined as wanting a piece of the national pie. Political, economic and social.The current crop, by comparison, is asking for crumbs from the pan. The left still exists....it just has no voice. It's excluded from the national consciousness...

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

I don't disagree with you on the media aspect, I've been working with Green Party candidates thoughout the State of Illinois for several years and getting ANY major media exposure is incredibly difficult. Then when you do get some light on you, more often then not you just get people who try to sandbag you every which way.

Example: http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/wildcard_8/foxchicagosunday/fox-chicago-sunday-rich-whitney-2010803

I digress, the point I was trying to make in my former post was that I take issue when someone tosses an agenda around as if it is automatically better just because they say so. The member didn't have a lot to support what they were advocating other than "If you don't support us we'll boycott you" point of view as I perceived it. Sounded like passive authoriarian measures to me rather than diplomatic protest.

Kenny Kamel's picture
Kenny Kamel

You guys are talking about the exact same thing that I'm pointing out.

There's a media monopoly in the US by the right, they clearly control TV with Foxnews (Right) and their fake-left channels that repeat everything that Foxnews says.

They control radio from Rush Limbaugh to the fake-left NPR that gave 1000s of hours of "unbiased" coverage to the Tea Party when they were popular and now won't say a word about their decline.

The internet is our only hope and we need something that is "high quality" it does not have to be left wing biased, but it take out the right wing bias from the news and bring up news that the media ignores.

Rodriguez's picture
Rodriguez

Kenny,I`m advocating balance and morality,something that don`t exist in what we get from so-call free press main media.If you want to call boycotting immorality and unbalance news, authoriarian.Be my "guest".

tayl44's picture
tayl44
Quote tayl44:

Kenny,I`m advocating balance and morality,something that don`t exist in what we get from so-call free press main media.If you want to call boycotting immorality and unbalance news, authoriarian.Be my "guest".

There is a difference between boycotting a business and ignoring what you don't like. If you don't like Fox News don't watch Fox News. If you don't like to listen to Rush Limbaugh then don't listen to him. Boycotting a business because they don't follow your specific political agenda is egotistical, unless said business is doing something nefarious by design.

Kenny Kamel's picture
Kenny Kamel
Quote Kenny Kamel:

Boycotting a business because they don't follow your specific political agenda is egotistical, unless said business is doing something nefarious by design.

I think Faux News fits in that category.

BadLiberal's picture
BadLiberal

BadLiberal,I agree with your "logic".You cannot do the right thing with the wrong info,remember "The Big Lie" by Hitler? Lessons Learn!

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.