Cancer and High-Fructose Corn Syrup

9 posts / 0 new

http://tvnewslies.org/tvnl/index.php/news/health/15404-cancer-cells-love-high-fructose-corn-syrup.html

harry ashburn's picture
harry ashburn

Comments

Here's a link to sciencedaily.com's article Pancreatic Cancers Use Fructose, Common in the Western Diet, to Fuel Their Growth that provides a bit more information and links to other articles about the health threat of fructose and other highly refined sugars and foods.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

HFCS is a giant disaster in every way.

EdBourgeois's picture
EdBourgeois

While I agree that high fructose corn syrup is unhealthy, I have to take issue with the way that Thom frames part of his argument. Most scientifically-minded people take issue with using the word "chemicals" in a negative sense. Everything is made up of chemicals, both harmful and not. Instead, emphasize that it is chemically altered to be unfit for human consumption.

pandoraxsage's picture
pandoraxsage
Quote pandoraxsage:

While I agree that high fructose corn syrup is unhealthy, I have to take issue with the way that Thom frames part of his argument. Most scientifically-minded people take issue with using the word "chemicals" in a negative sense. Everything is made up of chemicals, both harmful and not. Instead, emphasize that it is chemically altered to be unfit for human consumption.

It's something you're just going to have to live with. Human language often evolves shorthand words so when we speak about something we don't have to explain it every time. I used to have this same issue with the phrase "organic fruits and vegetables." All fruits and vegetables are organic because all plants are organic. However, in context, what "organic fruits and vegetables" means is that the farming process used to grow them uses only organic materials to treat the plants during growth (i.e. no synthetic pesticides, etc.).

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason

They have tried to use "natural" in reference to HFCS. HFCS is not natural in nature.

EdBourgeois's picture
EdBourgeois

"Currently, corn syrup is mainly produced by first adding the enzyme α-amylase to a mixture of corn starch and water. α-amylase is secreted by various species of the bacterium Bacillus; the enzyme is isolated from the liquid in which the bacteria are grown. The enzyme breaks the starch into oligosaccharides,"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup

What a marvelous way to say that corn syrup is produced by adding bacteria poop to the mixture. No wonder my liver has to disguise it before my cells will utilize it.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

polycarp2

I remember the old DuPont slogan: "Without chemistry, life itself would be impossible."

harry ashburn's picture
harry ashburn

If Monsanto's suicide gene escapes from fields like its "immune to weed killer" gene did...life might become pretty difficult living on a sterile planet.

We have to keep those pesky cross-pollinating insects and birds under lock and key.

Maybe kill them all and cross-pollinate everything by hand. Billions of new jobs!.The U.S. alone would need 40-50 million additional illegals to handle the task. More if we wanted plant life existing outside of our farms...such as forests, etc..

Or we can just take our chances and let birds and insects continue running amok.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Largest Climate March Ever!

On Sunday, the world's largest climate march took over New York City. In addition to the 400,000 people who showed up to demand change in the Big Apple, hundreds of thousands more joined events in at least 156 counties. From London to Rio to Melbourne to New York, people around the world joined together to demand action on climate change.