Four rent controlled apartments

4 posts / 0 new

Regarding Charley Rangel's issues with the House Ethics Committee: I think Charley is a great example of how terribly difficult it is avoid temptation as an elected official. There are many many ways to personally profit from public service, and the more power we give our elected officials, the more incentive we give special interests to buy them off.

I read this weekend that Charley has four rental controlled New York apartments. If this is true, this is disgraceful. For one thing, Charley can afford to pay rent. For another, he's hogging living space that other more needy people could be using. But finally, how could he possible think this would get past the smell test?

He should be ashamed of himself.

Is there anyone here in Thomland who is familiar with rent-stabilized apartments in New York? Could Charley face criminal charges for this? At the least, I would hope the landlords will sue Charley for their monetary damages.

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns

Comments

I don't know much about rent controlled apartments. From what I do know, it seems to create a scenario where people either pay way to little or way too much. I'd be interested in knowing more about what problem it was meant to solve, whether or not it's solving it, and if not what would better solve the problem.

As to the crimes of politicians, I tend not to engage in those conversations with conservatives because they only want to discuss the crimes of Democrats. I think they're all crooks, and am generally more surprised when they aren't.

To the Democrat's credit, they seem way more willing to investigate a fellow party member than the Republicans.

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason
Quote Common_Man_Jason:

As to the crimes of politicians, I tend not to engage in those conversations with conservatives because they only want to discuss the crimes of Democrats. I think they're all crooks, and am generally more surprised when they aren't.

I think it's natural for someone to focus on the errors of their opponents. Democrats do it; Republicans do it. It's politics.

To the Democrat's credit, they seem way more willing to investigate a fellow party member than the Republicans.

I think that's something I would expect a liberal to say.

Idon't think either party is willing to investigate until they have no other choice. They all have skeletons in the closet; they all know that if they draw scrutiny to a fellow Congressman, they draw attention to themselves.

[/quote]

PeeWee Returns's picture
PeeWee Returns

Well, I don't think it's natural for all people to focus on the errors of their opponents, as I've already observed, Democrats focus on the errors of their own fairly often. Most people (not politicians) I know recognize that politicians are crooks by nature, and they feel no need to be brainless lackeys in their defense, regardless of party. It is the Republicans and conservatives I know that differ in that they turn a blind eye to Republican crimes while emphasizing Democratic crimes. I'm not saying the opposite doesn't happen, I'm saying I personally don't see it nearly as often.

Also, I don't consider the Democratic party to be liberal in any way, and have absolutely no need or desire to be apologists for them. I do like to be intellectually honest though. My observation, admittedly not a scientific analysis or anything close, is that Democrats are more willing to eat their own than Republicans. I have no particular need for that to be true, so please, if you know more than me on this, please share.

However, I did make it clear that I'm more interested in a general conversation about rent controlled apartments. Were you not being sincere in your tickle on that subject?

Common_Man_Jason's picture
Common_Man_Jason

Currently Chatting

End. Fracking. Now!

California is already dealing with the worst drought in that state's history. So, the last thing residents needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated.