Just Lost Another American City

5 posts / 0 new

Last week, 475,000 Americans lost their jobs. The week before, 500,000 lost their jobs. Here's a list of American cities by population. All this while the captains of industry are drowning in money thanks to the Bush tax cuts. So much for trickle down economics.

Art's picture
Art

Comments

I don't think that the jobs are coming back due to a) offshoring jobs to low wage labor markets and (b) the growth we did experience was fueled by credit that allowed people to buy things they couldn't afford. Now I say this often, that nothing we do is sustainable, so I'd like to see an analysis of the economics of recovery into a world that is not fueled by credit. We all know that job creation is fueled by demand and without credit demand will be less, thus fewer jobs will result within any given period. That doesn't even begin to address the fact that we use too much resources as it is now and so only increases with job recovery, but that's another parameter to be dealt with at another time.

jeffbiss's picture
jeffbiss

Jane Jacobs noted in her work, "The Economies of Cities" how a nation is a reflection of it's cities. U.S. cities are turning into rust belts. Guess what the U.S. is beginning to reflect?

The well-oiled gears of Shanghai are reflected by the high-speed rail from its airport to city-center. A 40 km ride taking only a few minutes.

The nation itself is reflecting its productive cities like Shanghai. with 21st century technology:::

"HONG KONG - China has launched its first bullet train, which has a maximum speed of 250km/h, demonstrating that it is determined to develop its high-speed railway network.

The new train debuted at 8:30am on January 28, traveling from Shanghai South Railway Station to the city of Hangzhou, provincial capital of Zhejiang."

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/IB07Cb03.html

Chinese cities aren't decaying rust belts full of empty factories and deteriorating infrastructure..Thats a desription ot U.S. cities....and the nation is reflecting it. more every year.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

So what do you fellows believe is the solution? What can America and American cities do to change course? I know we could stop outsourcing, but like jeff stated if demand is drying up for so much of the "crap" we once bought, than bringing those industries back to America probably won't help.

We could look to the future and start developing industry around what our future demands will be. But that might be a bit progressive for some...

I wonder what the US will look like in 2015 or 2020?

meljomur's picture
meljomur

George Soros recommended an entire new industry....renewable energies.. That doesn't, however, include buying wind generators from China as we are currently doing. It would mean making them in the U.S.

Exporting clothing mfg. didn't just dismantle garment making firms. Every industry feeding into them also disappeared from textile makers to sewing machine mfrs. to warehousing, to trucking to dye making., etc.

Outsourcing does more than just export the jobs of one industry....it shuts down every industry feeding into it.....way more job losses than the direct job losses from the outsourcing.

Jacobs goes into that pretty thoroughly in her work on the topiic.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Currently Chatting

Time to Rethink the War on Terror

Thom plus logo

When Eric Holder eventually steps down as Attorney General, he will leave behind a complicated legacy, some of it tragic, like his decision not to prosecute Wall Street after the financial crisis, and his all-out war on whistleblowers like Edward Snowden.