Multi-Millionaire Glenn Beck is the Anti-Christ

21 posts / 0 new

Yesterday, far right wing Faux News Performer & Multi-Millionaire Glenn Beck preached to a reported 87,000 supporters at his “Restoring Honor” rally and then later appeared on Faux News Sunday with Chris Wallace. When Wallace noted that Multi-Millionaire Beck called President Obama’s faith “a perversion of the gospel of Jesus Christ” and Wallace wondered who made Multi-Millionaire Beck “the God Squad,” Multi-Millionaire Beck called the President “demonic." Multi-Millionaire Beck said, "The pope even said, this is Pope Benedict, that it is demonic not divine when theology crosses into the line of doing that which only the divine can do. He was speaking specifically about liberation theology."

Media Matters also notes that during his interview with Wallace, Beck dismissed the economic agenda associated with Martin Luther King's march 47 years ago, and said that Christians don't recognize Obama's faith. The reality is that Martin Luther King and Liberation Theology call for the same things Jesus Christ did 2000 years ago. Jesus fed the masses, and didn't ask for a co-payment. Jesus said, to his disciples the only way to get into heaven was to feed the hungry, heal the sick, visit those in prison, and make sure people were clothed and housed.

Multi-Millionaire Glenn Beck, on the other hand, is collaborating with oil billionaires who promote "less government" which really means no regulation of the oil industry; "lower taxes," which really means "don't raise taxes on billionaires"; and "roll back Obamacare," which really means "keep multi-millionaires like Steven J. Hemsley, who took a half a billion dollars as CEO of United Healthcare, in charge of only healing the wealthy."

His Mormonism aside, the anti-theology and naked plutocratic agenda that multi-millionaire Glen Beck is promoting makes him not only NOT a follower of Christ but arguably the opposite. Multi-Millionaire Glenn Beck is the Anti-Christ.

Thom's picture
Thom

Comments

Glenn Beck is Murdoch's Pied Piper distracting the masses to maintain the status quo for the sake of old Rupert and lead his followers into destruction.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

I see the old Elmer Gantry with the new Bob Roberts TV imaging. The "Gospel" is Rev. Ike for White People. I saw Tony Robbins pushing this crap for a creep named Peter Lowe fronting for the Bush Crime Family. The highest point of irony was Robbins pimping Pappy Bush who finally comes onstage to the throbbing rhythms of Born to Be Wild, a biker dope song. The seduced Xtians were going wild, but I was laughing my ass off.

On the other hand, when reality fails people, they love the magic. The White Christian story of American Exceptionalism and Divine Warrant to Save the World is blowing up in their faces. Allowing the Progressive story any credence destroys their own narrative. Hence the anger and irrationality of the denial.

Beck and the spinmasters do get how to recast symbols and because nobody knows the real story of our history anymore, he can convince some that the real heirs of the civil rights struggle are those who will not see anything racial anymore, just a lot of people who don't love these White guys and gals for some obscure reasons of the past. They become the new racists who cannot join the new harmony.

This also works for world history where the crimes of empire fade into the dust and the reactions to the crimes of empire become the just causes for wars. Oh, the terrorism of those who hate what we have done to them!

DRC's picture
DRC
Quote DRC:On the other hand, when reality fails people, they love the magic. The White Christian story of American Exceptionalism and Divine Warrant to Save the World is blowing up in their faces. Allowing the Progressive story any credence destroys their own narrative. Hence the anger and irrationality of the denial.

Indeed, DRC, I think you've got a handle on it. This is the story of two competing narratives. And even if one is blowing up in their faces, it is a strong one that runs deep. If you look at it symbolically, Franklin Roosevelt represented a version of the progressive narrative, where we as a nation look after each other and the sense of "we" is harbored in the Presidency for that narrative. We have had few leaders from the progressive narrative that present both charisma and a holistic vision with which they can empower those who have a sense for that narrative. Without that we have no symbolic visionary figure to embody it. I'm not even sure Kennedy was that authentic figure, his time in the position was far too short for him to prove himself. Clinton was surely not, he launched and supported the worst of the neoliberal vision from the Reagan era with NAFTA and GATT.

Obama came in with plenty of charisma, and he excited the entire world. Watch this documentary by French cinemetagraphers Guetty Felin & Hervé Cohen: Obama: Closer to the Dream -- Trailer for a glimpse of how he was viewed from European eyes who looked into our own eyes and saw our hope during the Obama run for the presidency.

What's happened since? I've been having a lot of conversations with people about that lately. Two years and what has this President shared of his vision to counteract the hate and division from the very well organized conservative right? Something's been missing. Many people are searching for clues to describe it, but everyone I talk to has a sense that something's amiss. This morning, I read an article that echoed a long discussion I had yesterday about Obama:

Obama and the Virtues of ‘Politicking’

Obama may turn to what he referred to as "politicking" to get through the mid terms -- and he was good at politicking to get in office. But the hope he inpired in so many people seems to have melted into a neoliberal nightmare that's been as heated as global warming melting the glaciers, that "other" American Exceptionalist narrative coupled with the Reagan message that became this neoliberal global movement, which Obama himself has embraced rather than spurning, may be the strongest narrative going for this country. And if that's the case, I think we must face that we are on our own. That's my conclusion at the moment.

Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and more are presenting that other vision in a package that appeals to far too many.

I keep going back to that Powell Memo for insights into how this vision has been orchestrated by the monied elite, and has been both vertically integrated into our political power structure, and laterally integrated through key groups in the population. And sure enough, while I'm reading this New Yorker article by Jane Mayer on the billionaires who are behind the Glenn Becks and Faux News, Covert Operations, I found these interesting paragraphs related to the Powell Memo:

he Kochs’ subsidization of a pro-corporate movement fulfills, in many ways, the vision laid out in a secret 1971 memo that Lewis Powell, then a Virginia attorney, wrote two months before he was nominated to the Supreme Court. The antiwar movement had turned its anger on defense contractors, such as Dow Chemical, and Ralph Nader was leading a public-interest crusade against corporations. Powell, writing a report for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, urged American companies to fight back. The greatest threat to free enterprise, he warned, was not Communism or the New Left but, rather, “respectable elements of society”—intellectuals, journalists, and scientists. To defeat them, he wrote, business leaders needed to wage a long-term, unified campaign to change public opinion.

Charles Koch seems to have approached both business and politics with the deliberation of an engineer. “To bring about social change,” he told Doherty, requires “a strategy” that is “vertically and horizontally integrated,” spanning “from idea creation to policy development to education to grassroots organizations to lobbying to litigation to political action.” The project, he admitted, was extremely ambitious. “We have a radical philosophy,” he said.

In 1977, the Kochs provided the funds to launch the nation’s first libertarian think tank, the Cato Institute. According to the Center for Public Integrity, between 1986 and 1993 the Koch family gave eleven million dollars to the institute. Today, Cato has more than a hundred full-time employees, and its experts and policy papers are widely quoted and respected by the mainstream media. It describes itself as nonpartisan, and its scholars have at times been critical of both parties. But it has consistently pushed for corporate tax cuts, reductions in social services, and laissez-faire environmental policies.

The intellectuals in the progressive movement know full well what they are up against, and how it was formulated and directed over the last forty years. Reagan was just a front man for these well organized and powerful people, and he had apparently enough charisma to make a national impact on the right groups of people, who still talk of the joke of a president with respect. But something is missing after I get through the latest incisive criticism. Something in the order of a vision in the movement itself that can pull people together. The only vision they seem to have is the the neoliberalism lite that the others use to trigger the historic American Exceptionalism meme that's carried so many for so long.

Attacking Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin is not going to bring about what's missing. I think that's what they are there for, to distract. Same as the trolls who have so successfully populated this board.

.ren's picture
.ren

Military / Evangelical Complex - New Term For American Lexicon

August 28, 2010 - Washington, D.C.: On the 47th anniversary and at the same spot of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech, Glenn Beck held his "I have a miracle" rally, with many well known guests telling of the coming resurrection of the Nation. Beck's "Miracle" message:

1. this nation is about GOD.
2. this nation is about the MILITARY.
3. send money NOW to the SOWF (Special Operations Warrior Foundation)

I believe anyone against Christ is "an" anti-Christ, and that there will be no one person or "son of the devil" to come forward to claim that title.

Beck, I feel, perfectly fits the definition of "false teacher" and "false prophet", as found in these examples from Scripture:

Matthew 24:24
For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible.

Matthew 7:15 Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

Matthew 24:11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many.

John 4:48 So Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you simply will not believe."

hgovernick's picture
hgovernick

Thank you Mr. Hartmann. I thought this was what I heard yesterday on Mox newes one on one exclusive interview with Senor Beck... I tried to ask Bill Press if this is what I heard on his show today but he did not think he heard that so I thought that I must have misheard him.So once more thank you for calling this out.

Liberal Man's picture
Liberal Man

You know Thom, if we could put enough money together and buy billboards to publish that quote of Beck's,the one that he was just an entertainer in it for the bucks with a big picture of Beck on them with his mouth open, and post them in the South, all along I-10 and I-55 and all the other little highways maybe THEN all the yahoos down there would GET IT! (including my cousin whom I love dearly but worry about continually)

lfoss's picture
lfoss

From Ren's link: "It is too late to turn this election into a triumph for the administration, but not too late to salvage his party’s congressional majorities. Given dismal Democratic expectations, that would now be rated as a victory. But doing so will require Obama to think anew about what “politicking” really means, to pick more than tactical fights with his adversaries, and to lay out, without equivocation or apology, where he is trying to move the country. It’s just too bad he didn’t start earlier."

poly replies: He has done that to the degree he can within a neo-liberal framework. Subtley. If he did it overtly, as FDR did, he'd be seen as sleeping in the same bed with his opponents.

His vision seems to be more outsourcing (accelerating new trade aggreements to expand it). Dismantling social programs (his Defcit Reduction Commision whose membership includes those wanting to dismantle Soc. Security along with other safety nets). A favoring of Wall St. (his selection of economic advisors and trillions for financiers....crumbs for the real economy most people live in.)

Obama's vision for the country is there...he acts upon it every day. It isn't a vision most would accept. A fireside chat explaining the benefits of trickle down, outsourcing,, privatization and on-going wars probably would be a hard sell. It's a vision for the country most wouldn't agree with.

He's about as far from the vision of FDR as Reagan was. Can anyone really see Obama giving an FDR speech? To do that, he'd have to reverse policy.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

Plain and simple Beck is just an idiot no matter his religion or in my opinion, lack of it. I believe it says somewhere that praying in a closet is how you are supposed to pray and that is not Beck. It also says by their fruits ye shall know them. All I see from him is evil,arrogant, and greed, that's enough for me. There are good people in all religions I believe and many if not all of the crazy practices that the "Mormons" now practice and believe were not started by Joseph Smith Jr. but by Brigham Young the George W. Bush of the LDS Church. Please place the blame with him where it belongs.

lfoss's picture
lfoss
Quote polycarp2:

He has done that to the degree he can within a neo-liberal framework. Subtley. If he did it overtly, as FDR did, he'd be seen as sleeping in the same bed with his opponents.

His vision seems to be more outsourcing (accelerating new trade aggreements to expand it). Dismantling social programs (his Defcit Reduction Commision whose membership includes those wanting to dismantle Soc. Security along with other safety nets). A favoring of Wall St. (his selection of economic advisors and trillions for financiers....crumbs for the real economy most people live in.)

Obama's vision for the country is there...he acts upon it every day. It isn't a vision most would accept. A fireside chat explaining the benefits of trickle down, outsourcing,, privatization and on-going wars probably would be a hard sell. It's a vision for the country most wouldn't agree with.

He's about as far from the vision of FDR as Reagan was. Can anyone really see Obama giving an FDR speech? To do that, he'd have to reverse policy.

First of all I think you are quite accurate in your assessment of what Obama has actually done. Which is why I brought in that article you quoted, and also that documentary of the Obama presidential run done from a European perspective. The result is our present political climate, and it's truly a weird one.

Glen Beck as spokesman for the neoliberal forces that have been shaping politics for the past forty years (I go back to the blue print that Powell provided in 1971, and that the Koch's and other's of the wealthy corporate elite followed, in order to define that time frame), has been part of a very easy to identify propaganda mill that has defined Obama as evil incarnate, but in the reality that you describe, Obama is little different in action than all that Glen Beck represents.

So the real question arising in my mind: what do those who are now busily attacking Glen Beck envision as an alternative? What is the real alternative? If it's not the Democratic neoliberal lite that's been foisted upon them, then why limit their attacks to the Glen Becks? To what purpose, to what definition of politics?

And where (perhaps more importantly, why) does religion fit into all of this? I personally don't even know what an antichrist is, I have no real depth of understanding about such things. But I have developed a sense of politics, and this is a serious Orwellian issue about the meaning of one side with itself as the mirror in the other in the midst of this phony emotion-filled atmosphere with trumped up anger over pretty much the same political strategies. This is taking place in serious times, regarding the actual existence and potential fate of what has emerged as a fading global empire -- an empire that was once supposed to be a democratic republic.

.ren's picture
.ren

Here's something rich. I have a conservative sister-in-law who "accidentally" disrupted my late February vacation with my wife by e-mailing a number of people -- including me, but keeping the list otherwise 100% conservative -- a forward of a forward of a forward of a ... well, you get the idea. It was a screed filled with lies and propaganda about how Dubya and Obama respectively responded to the Fort Hood shooting in November 2009 (just 12 WEEKS before this screed was sent out! 12 WEEKS!) and I shot off an e-mail back saying never to send me such political e-mails again, that Obama was their President as well as mine, that I was proud to be a liberal and if they did not like what he was doing then to wait until Election Day 2012 and go to the polling booth and vote for someone else as that was the American Way. I promptly got scolded for having an opinion and later my sister-in-law told my wife, "But we LIKE him ... it was an ACCIDENT that I added his name to the list!" Yeah, right.

I have a brother-in-law who's a registered member of the NRA and is a fanatic gun lover. He organized a "Second Amendment March" which was held this year on April 19 in Washington D.C. and North Virginia (MAN but they were PO'd they couldn't bring any firearms to D.C.!) and he had been organizing this for 17 MONTHS -- ever since November 2008 when Obama had been elected, so he had plenty of time to look up what else the date April 19 signified in history aside from the 235th anniversary of the Battles of Lexington and Concord and the outbreak of the American Revolution. Well, on April 17, just 2 DAYS before the March was to be held, he was interviewed by a Grand Rapids MI newspaper and, when it was pointed out to him this march would be also the exact 15th anniversary of the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in OK City, and there were quite a few militia groups out there which regarded McVeigh as a "hero" and a "martyr," he replied, "I had no idea. It was a coincidence." Yeah? Where had he been living for the past 15 years -- in an ivory tower? He had a year and 5 months in which to see if planning his march for April 19 was a good idea or not.

And now Glenn Beck, one of the idols of my in-laws, confronted with the fact that his "Restoring Honor" rally was being held on the EXACT 47th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech and at the EXACT SAME SPOT where King delivered that speech, he passed it off as "coincidence."

You see a pattern? I sure do. You can't trust conservatives, in particular neo-cons, these days. They're a bunch of liars.

IsaRevived's picture
IsaRevived

Much worse than mere liars, because these are skilled propagandists and public opinion shapers using well-researched data and time-tested methods, with some new techno-twists.

Disparaging the alternative narrative includes co-opting its heros and turning them into the opposite of what they really were. Teach the Texas Text version to a generation or two, and who could remember reality? And don't forget, the official Liberal version has plenty of problems. One of the biggest problems is that we need a national rehab, not a sibling struggle between two aspects of a shared pathology.

Identifying "empire" as the common enemy of anyone who desires the restoration of the Republic, left or right, is a great starting point. Chalmers Johnson tells us that we can only have one or the other. Repenting of the American Empire is a start to recovering an authentic humanity instead of the Myth of Exceptionality (Superiority) and its messianic destiny gospel. And, if we are no better than the rest of humanity, why must we insist on being dumber? Why can't we own our own Commons instead of renting it so we can have the prosperity others manage? Is the price of freedom being a Third World country?

DRC's picture
DRC

Beck has absolutely NO credentials to determine Obama's form of Christianity. Beck is a Moron, and whether the illiterate of this country realize it or not, Moronism is not accepted w/n "mainstream Christianity. I think that should be a comment mentioned on Olbermann, Tom Matthews' show. The issue was broached on Ed Schultz' radio show today by a clergyman.

rowena

rubicon1

I would call Beck,Sarah and Rush "Demons".Their "Masters" the Devils are the ones we should be focus on.We don`t take care of the cause of the cancer,we will have "tumors" everywhere! Capitalism is the "cancer". I like idea about signs of Beck in the South,i would donate.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

A couple of comments:

1. I don't think you are really calling Beck "the Anti-Christ" - this is a specific prophecy from the Book of Revelation, and your comments don't reflect that you believe Beck is the fulfillment of this prophecy. I think you are trying to say that Beck does not reflect the ideals that Jesus Christ laid out during his ministry - have to say I agree with that. But calling him "The Anti-Christ" would immediately keep some people from listening to your argument.

2. You didn't expand here as well as on your radio show, but I don't think I buy the "Jesus as a modern day Liberal/Progressive" argument. I believe He was telling us to do the things you mention - but as individuals, not via a social bureacracy that helps us abdicate individual responsibility. I don't think most of us do well at following this - I personally think the government taking the responsibility away from individuals has led to many social ills we see today, but that is just my opinion. Regardless - we are called on individually to do this, not to support others to take from society as a whole to do it for us.

utvolfan's picture
utvolfan

The Mormon Candidate?

On HORN Radio (http://www.whiterosesociety.org/KincaidModem.m3u) today The host ( Kincaid? ) went into the Beck speech and theology in depth.

He interpreted it as replete with Evangelical and Mormon code-talk ("dog-whistle language"). He concluded the event was purposed to mainstream the idea of Mormonism.

He cited one of the Sunday TV pundits (McLaughlin?) rhetorically asking Which GOP Presidential Primary Hopeful will benefit (from the Beck performance)? Answer: Mitt Romney.

Plausible?

B47

Beck's tears... a little Vick's.

http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/glenn-becks-sobbing-secrets-reve...

holliger's picture
holliger

Pure entertainment. Faux's best.

EdBourgeois's picture
EdBourgeois

What is crazy to me is when Christians voice out loud that Mormonism is a crazy "satanic cult" but believing in Christianity makes complete sense.

On a local message board a fellow brought up that progressives were just jealous that Beck is making so much money. I asked him if he would do what Beck does for the same money and he said "In a heartbeat".

That is the real difference as I see it. There is no way that myself or any of my friends could act as a shill for the plutocracy just for money.

Having a conscience gives many on the right a huge advantage.

Poo tee weet's picture
Poo tee weet
Quote DRC:

Identifying "empire" as the common enemy of anyone who desires the restoration of the Republic, left or right, is a great starting point. Chalmers Johnson tells us that we can only have one or the other. Repenting of the American Empire is a start to recovering an authentic humanity instead of the Myth of Exceptionality (Superiority) and its messianic destiny gospel. And, if we are no better than the rest of humanity, why must we insist on being dumber? Why can't we own our own Commons instead of renting it so we can have the prosperity others manage? Is the price of freedom being a Third World country?

Wow DRC, I think that sentence sums up the scenario brilliantly. The problem seems to be the dumbing down of America in almost every sense. And if you come across as wanting to elevate the discussion, you are labeled a snob. When did this happen? And how on earth did this happen to the nation which put the first man on the moon?

I have to ask both poly and ren if they honestly feel that Obama could lead in a progressive manner even if he wanted to. I am not making excuses for his presidency. I too feel his presidency has been a big disappointment. But I just wonder if its even possible for a strong progressive leader to hold high office in America in today's climate?

I make no excuses for the fact that I supported and worked on the Obama campaign. So I have watched many of his speeches, both large and small (I even saw him live in Seattle). Last night I saw a brief segment of a speech he gave in New Orleans, and he was just not into it at all. His eyes were vacant, his prose seemed rehearsed and generic. This was not the same man I watched during the primaries and election season.

I guess we can make all sorts of speculations. I have a really good friend in California who is convinced as soon as Obama took office he was shown a video of the JFK assassination from various angles.

I don't know what has happened to America. I am sad because I thought it was about to change direction. But perhaps those of us who want it to move in a progressive, social democratic direction are in the minority. And perhaps that is just the reality.

meljomur's picture
meljomur

Beck's purpose was for one thing, to promote Beck

To understand what Glenn Beck accomplished with “Restoring Honor,” it’s useful to look back at the methods Beck has always used to promote himself and further his career. His path to last Saturday’s success began, appropriately, while working in Washington, D.C., as a WPGC morning jock during the early ‘80s. It was there that Beck met another young DJ named Bruce Kelly, who became his first mentor in the art of publicity. For the next two decades, Beck labored in the fiercely competitive world of zoo-style Top 40 morning radio, where DJs fought dirty for attention—from local media coverage to top billing at charity events. “It’s hard for people who never worked in FM radio during the 1980s to really understand how deep publicity-hunger runs in Beck’s blood,” says Kelly, a radio veteran who worked with and against Beck in two markets. “Morning radio DJ’s were the Navy Seals of getting your name out there and keeping it out there. It was all about finding the biggest stage to promote yourself and your shows. Take away the high rhetoric, and Saturday is just a masterful lesson in the art of the publicity stunt. Old DJ’s like me can only stand in awe.”

Then tie this to Koch bros in town at the same time

The closest analog to Saturday in Beck’s past was his 2003 traveling “Rally for America” road show. As with last weekend’s “Restoring Honor,” Beck falsely billed those controversial rallies as “nonpolitical,” used charitable donations to defray logistics costs, piggybacked, when possible, on other events such as Memorial Day parades, and barely bothered to hide the fact that the whole thing was a shameless brand-building exercise, stamped with his corporate logo.

On Saturday, as in 2003, Beck again courted controversy—did he or did he not choose the August 28 on purpose?—and reveled in the debate over his appropriation of Civil Rights iconography. All the while he attempted to claim the highest high-ground possible, sticking to the broad and squishy themes of “faith, hope, and charity.” But as he kept up the nonpartisan façade, across town Beck’s friends and sponsors at Americans for Prosperity, a Koch-funded policy, organizing and oppo-research shop, felt no such constraints: They were just wrapping up their Defending the American Dream summit, in which participants in town for Beck phone-banked for GOP candidates.

Call a prayer meeting, get charity donations instead of kissing babies, then flank with a phone bank run by Kochs from one of their innocuously named organizations.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Currently Chatting

The Death of the Middle Class was by Design...

Even in the face of the so-called Recovery, poverty and inequality are getting worse in our country, and more wealth and power is flowing straight to the top. According to Paul Buchheit over at Alternet, this is the end result of winner-take-all capitalism, and this destruction of the working class has all been by design.