What is the story behind how Rupert Murdoch became a citizen?

8 posts / 0 new

I have held the belief that he basically purchased instant citizenship, but now i'm researching the background story and can't seem to find a credible source.

Is this true? What are the details?

Wild Turkey's picture
Wild Turkey

Comments

Bad Rumour. A valid Citizen would not seek to undermine the very document upon which citizenship is based.

There is a whole host of nouns which better describe persons that would treat citizenship as a bauble to be purchased and played with for amusement and discarded or left in disarray as the mood struck them.

Wonder what forces managed to control what word his last name would appear next to in a dictionary...

Rodger97321's picture
Rodger97321

I hear it was a 'kangaroo court" :D ..skipped marsupial court, went straight to appeal

harry ashburn's picture
harry ashburn

I thought I read somewhere he married an American woman. IOW, a "marriage of convenience." <wink, wink, nod, nod>

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Whatever happened, he sure didn't have to jump a fence to get in the country. The skids were greased. There are limits on foreign ownership of American media. Look at all he's done for them that brung him.

12jkwilkes17's picture
12jkwilkes17

Murdock became a citizen by edict. the Republicans controlled the Sneate under Reagan and he was made a citizen by attaching a bill allowing him to bypass the usual restrictions for citizenship. At least that is what my memory of the situation is.

wyrover's picture
wyrover

Murdock is as much an American as Soros and Media Matters or Huffington.

hardhitter's picture
hardhitter
Quote hardhitter:

Murdock is as much an American as Soros and Media Matters or Huffington.

He may be but Murdoch certainly isn't.

He is a ENEMY of the United States so if he is a citizen we should be trying him for treason.

Dominic C

Currently Chatting

We Need to Listen to the Founders and Stop the Forever War.

Just a little over a year ago during his speech at the National Defense University here in Washington, D.C., President Obama talked about winding down Bush’s War on Terror. But as American bombers continue to strike against ISIS in Iraq and now Syria, it now looks like the War on Terror will be with us for years to come. And that’s a really dangerous thing for our democracy.