Thom and Progressive Media is "Main-Stream-Media".

13 posts / 0 new

Big Corp.Media represent the "Rich". Progressive Media represent the "People".One thing Progressive Media needs "room for improvement",show more "Solutions".(Lessons Learn) They do that,they can put Big Corrupt Corp. Media out of business in a "NY-Minute".

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Comments

This is why I've more recently come to dislike the term "mainstream media", when the problem is the fact they're really the "corporate" media.

RyanClark's picture
RyanClark

Yup, recalibrate to the Right to find the "Middle" between "Lamestream" and FAUX. Thom represents a more authentic "middle" if we get out of the corporate frame and metrics. Simply being an honest democrat means being to the Left of the Corporate/Libertarian Right. The looney fringe beyond makes it harder and harder to find anything democratic on TV.

Seriously, the Right hates democracy. Their ideas on government do not allow "we, the people" to do anything collectively with our resources beyond police, fire and the military. Many object to public streets and want the roads privatized. Democracy without government does not exist. Being able to use democracy to serve the interests of "we, the people" is why we don't just hire a CEO King. Or do we? The Chairman of the Board is not elected by us.

If the point is that Thom is not part of the radical Left, granted. I can hear radical Left folk on KBOO here, but for most of America the option is NPR. Thom is well to the Left of what has been left of NPR.

DRC's picture
DRC

The only label i will put on Thom,is common sense.I think that represent most sane people.We need a media that represent most people,we need a media that show "solutions/ideas to all the problems they expose. Progressive media is doing the job,but their`s room for improvement.I like the idea of "Corporate-Media,and "Corporate House" instead of White House Republicans have the same problem as the southern confederacy before Civil War,the system they believe in,is "Bankrupt".

tayl44's picture
tayl44

I think the whole idea of "mainstream media" is quickly becoming a relic of the past. With the explosion of talk radio and then the internet the filter has been removed. There is good and bad that comes with that....

Gotitdone's picture
Gotitdone
Quote Gotitdone:

I think the whole idea of "mainstream media" is quickly becoming a relic of the past. With the explosion of talk radio and then the internet the filter has been removed. There is good and bad that comes with that....

I disagree. There still is a vast majority of Americans who will believe nothing until they see it presented on NBC, ABC, or CBS and maybe FOX and MSNBC. If they don't see it there they either don't know about it or don't believe it is of any real merit. It's a conditioning thing. One way to test this is to simply ask people randomly if they've ever heard of Building No. 7 or ever heard of Enron's power plant in Dabhol, India. 99.9 percent will not know what you're talking about and that is because too many people are intelectually lazy and need to be spoon fed information, and then told how to feel about it.

Choco's picture
Choco

Lets leave the 9/11 stuff to the other thread.....

Gotitdone's picture
Gotitdone
Quote Gotitdone:

Lets leave the 9/11 stuff to the other thread.....

It's completely relevant to Mainstream Media. Sorry if you think Truth has no place in a discussion about the Media. Besides, you don't get to dictate what is relevant and what is not. The two things I mention are prime examples of the failure of the MSM to tell the truth and to actually investigate all avenues of the story.

Choco's picture
Choco

Here is MSM Dan Rather's take on Bldg. No. 7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvx904dAw0o

And here he is talking about being intimidated by the Bush administration,

Dan Rather, the star news anchor for the US television network CBS, said last night that "patriotism run amok" was in danger of trampling the freedom of American journalists to ask tough questions. And he admitted that he had shrunk from taking on the Bush administration over the war on terrorism.

In the weeks after September 11 Rather wore a Stars and Stripes pin in his lapel during his evening news show in an apparent display of total solidarity with the American cause. However, in an interview with BBC's Newsnight, he graphically described the pressures to conform that built up after the attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

"It is an obscene comparison - you know I am not sure I like it - but you know there was a time in South Africa that people would put flaming tyres around people's necks if they dissented. And in some ways the fear is that you will be necklaced here, you will have a flaming tyre of lack of patriotism put around your neck," he said. "Now it is that fear that keeps journalists from asking the toughest of the tough questions."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/may/17/terrorismandthemedia.broadcasting

So back to Thom, what pressures does he face from on high and has he found a comfort zone for dialogue? There seems to be a lot of evidence that those who play by the corporate MSM rules can advance, those who trouble the powerful elite with the pesky truth are relegated and silenced.

Choco's picture
Choco

Choco,right-on.One thing some people don`t seem to realize,a lot of people don`t have "cable tv or internet" and most people that have basic tv & radio info,they cannot think without pictures and being told what to think.When progressive media is mainstream to people with basic tv & radio,this world will see some real progress.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Cannot reasonable people look at the same thing and come to a different conclusion? If someone thinks different then you that does not mean they are a bigot, ignorant or stupid.

Gotitdone's picture
Gotitdone

Boycott fox news advertisers

http://www.democrats.com/boycott-fox-news-advertisers

http://pol.moveon.org/pac/nprvsfox/letter.html?registered=1&posted=1&id=...

Stan

If somebody comes to the conclusion that make them a "bigot,ignorant,and stupid,they`re what they`re. Stan,thanks for info.

tayl44's picture
tayl44

Currently Chatting

Who Should an Economy Serve?

The top one percent own half of all the world's assets. In stark contrast, the bottom fifty percent of the world owns less than one percent. According to the 2014 Global Wealth Report from Credit Suisse, global inequality has surged since the 2008 financial collapse. The report explains that while global wealth has more than doubled since the year 2000, the vast majority of overall growth has gone to those who were already wealthy.