3 millions jobs in India – not the US!!

7 posts / 0 new

You need to know this about President Obama’s trip to Southeast Asia. He says it's an effort to open up markets to India – the world’s largest democracy – and for the Wal-Mart executives with him, that's true. They want to sell more stuff made in China in India in their retail stores, and are frustrated that Indian law only allows one company to own two retail stores. They're using Obama's prestige to get that law blown up. Additionally, Obama is there selling the only things we still make in the US - military hardware and airplanes. He says that will create as many as 54,000 jobs in the US, because, he says, the Indian consumer market is so large. But we no longer make consumer goods in the US! Meanwhile, the President is also bringing with him more than 200 business leaders – including leaders from Wal Mart. As Wal Mart CEO Michael Duke points – more than 3 million jobs can be created in India if he can get their laws changed. That’s 3 millions jobs in India – not the US. Likewise, Honeywell already operates a facility in India employing 11,000 low wage engineers and scientists. Honeywell CEO David Cote says his company has moved American engineering jobs to India because India has "superior engineering". What they really have is cheap labor. Obama's simply continuing the insane free trade policies of Reagan, both Bushes, and Clinton. And, as long as they continue – your jobs will continue to vanish overseas.

Thom's picture
Thom

Comments

Well, as I keep saying, Obama adheres to neo-liberalism and Chicago School Economics, just like the Republicans do.

Outsourcing even more jobs is somehow called "change".

The only change I see is the increasing destruction of the American middle class.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

India does not have "superior engineering" any more than the US. What they have is a culture where people value education more than the becoming the next great soccer or cricket star. In the US parents would rather have their kids be a big sports star and put too much priority on such silly activities. When I grew up sports wasn't such a big deal.

Indian engineers I worked with were hired because they were more specialized and this was at a time when US colleges were poor at graduating competent engineers and then if parents footed a bill for Stanford or MIT etc they wanted their kid to work for IBM or HP etc not some small company (especially a game one). In the mid 1990s the colleges were still graduating students who could only code in Pascal though C and C++ was the language you needed to know for work.

I also found that Indian engineers were a little crippled in their skills because they didn't own a personal computer to experiment on and broaden their skills. Back then almost none of them knew how to program a GUI like Windows.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

So what you're saying Thom, is that Obama is over in India currying favors?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I watched the dem primaries carefully and saw Kucinich shoved aside. I was appalled. Anybody paying attention could see that the cameras were following Obama and Hillary Clinton around and giving them most of the questions and allowing them most of the rejoinders. People should have figured out the game was fixed. We had our choice of two corporate dem candidates to run against the given corporate republican candidate as usual. I am not so let down by Obama because I could see he was the corporate candidate and didn't expect a progressive, but I hoped for a little more than this.

Choco's picture
Choco

At least he got Sonia Sotomayor in, she's definitely voting on the peoples side. I have a really good feeling about her. I'm sure Kegan will be on the peoples side too based on what I've heard and seen. I still think Obama is only acting half-corporatist because he knows where the power is and still truly thinks he can make a few corporate friends, just a bit of campaign money, just enough to hold power, not enough to sell his soul -annihilating his base, but just enough to get more good liberal supreme court justices in. That is MY hope for change.

makuck's picture
makuck

Congress has the authority to expand the Supreme Court...making the current corporate lacky's irrelevant. Its size is set by Congress, not the Constitution.

Choco wrote: I watched the dem primaries carefully and saw Kucinich shoved aside. I was appalled. Anybody paying attention could see that the cameras were following Obama and Hillary Clinton around and giving them most of the questions and allowing them most of the rejoinders. People should have figured out the game was fixed.

poly replies: Kucinich, a progressive, was quickly vetted unsuitable and shut down at the starting gate..

Obama is trying to create several million more jobs in U.S. companies...in India, not here. He's a corporate, neo-liberal twit. Bush's third term is coming along as expected.

The meltdown marches on.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

The meltdown marches on.

It's the New American Century. A US global effort to rule the world by controling the economic conditions of sovereign countries. If we are lucky, the dollar will collapse before millions more are driven into poverty, destitution, servitude and the grave.

Or we could take comfort in Nobel Peace Prize Winner Obama's schizophrenic foreign policies like his new re-funding of brutal, oppressive regimes like Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Sudan, Yemen.

Where Obama goes - democracy flows (US version)

Dusty's picture
Dusty