GOD that was a great show today

3 posts / 0 new

The interview with Chris Hedges had me mesmerized. At first I thought I was just going to get depressed (as his articles sometimes do to me) when he "laid it all out there". To the contrary...he validated so many of my concerns...& there was something empowering about it. (Go figure)

csernica

Comments

I missed it. Anyone care to summarize?

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

With help from others, I will say that my take home message is not to believe in the system but to stay active and focused. He is not saying don't vote, he is just saying don't believe that voting is going to do it without all the rest of the work and the appreciation that the coup has been accomplished. That does not mean that it has to remain as it is. But it does mean that we have to avoid being depressed because it is not working as our "republic" is supposed to work, in our minds.

Illusion was about breaking the trance and seeing the illusion and spectacle for what it is. His critique of liberals is that we/they have been coopted by the system to give it an illusion of moral concern but not the confrontation required by reality. I would include his and my indictment of our own Presbyterian heritage for being silent in this time of criminal war and class war while we are paralyzed by abortion and homosexuality. Religion as opiate, but not a very good high. Not one word on how to bear power as a citizen in this world. Peacemaking as controlling our anger. Really.

"The Truth shall set you free." It will also scare the crap out of you. But I choose freedom with the truth over the bliss of ignorance or the narcotic trance of denial. Having a positive and affirming relationship with reality is healthy and far more sensual than the state of alienation or self-striving as a stranger in a strange land. Vanity, all is vanity if you are trying to beat the system. Hedges is tonic for truth-seekers who find lies and deception burdensome. Enjoying being wrong when truth reveals itself is what makes the difference. Ideologues fight the truth to the bitter end.

DRC's picture
DRC

Currently Chatting

End. Fracking. Now!

California is already dealing with the worst drought in that state's history. So, the last thing residents needed was to learn that some of their dwindling water supply has been contaminated.