For Profit Health Care

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
dougo

I thought I would share my experience with cancer treatment. I am undergoing treatment for cancer and one of the drugs the doctor said he would like to give me is not available in the United States, because its dirt cheap and there is no money to be made in making it here.

So instead I get a drug (pill form) that costs $4,000.00 for a 3 week supply.

I wish people from the right could understand the problem here is not with our health care but with the cost and availability. 

Doug

Comments

cornopean
cornopean's picture
Are you sure it isn't sold

Are you sure it isn't sold here b/c private drug companies don't want to sell it or b/c the FDA won't allow it to be sold here?

D_NATURED
D_NATURED's picture
dougo wrote: I thought I

dougo wrote:

I thought I would share my experience with cancer treatment. I am undergoing treatment for cancer and one of the drugs the doctor said he would like to give me is not available in the United States, because its dirt cheap and there is no money to be made in making it here.

So instead I get a drug (pill form) that costs $4,000.00 for a 3 week supply.

I wish people from the right could understand the problem here is not with our health care but with the cost and availability. 

Doug

Cost and availability are the tug-o-war of manipulated prices and production that maximize profits and minimize anhy real value to this society. I am sorry to hear that you are being thrown to the wolves by a country who should care more about you but thinks, based upon right-wing rhetoric,  that giving you affordable medicine is the same as becoming a communist state.

My wish is that stupidity cost the stupid as much as it costs the rest of us. It rarely does, though.

captbebops
captbebops's picture
Dougo, I believe it.  I was

Dougo, I believe it.  I was looking around for the cost of a checkup and it is difficult to even find that anywhere.  The last time I had one it was $200 and the doctor only spent 15 minutes.  The specialist he sent me to only cost $80 and he did a better exam.  I also read that one company used to do blood panels without requiring a doctor's order and at a reasonable price.  Then the doctor's complained so they dropped that availability.  Anyone with a little knowledge can read a blood panel themselves and actually looking around the price of the general one hasn't gone up any probably because technology has made them cheaper to do.

This healthcare for profit has to go but it looks like to do that this government for profit has to go too.

 

cornopean
cornopean's picture
Why is it that the best

Why is it that the best services/products we get are from private companies?   At the same time, the services we are most frustrated with are govt run.  The Post Office, the dept of motor vehicles, IRS, public education, etc. etc.

The difference is simple.  The private businesses care b/c their very survival depends on it.  The govt agencies don't care b/c they don't have to.

Just take the post office for instance.  Why do we keep them in operation when they are losing so much money?  Obviously, the service the post office offers is not considered all that  great by the consumer.

Even so the Postal Service lost about $6 billion this year and by its own projections it will drop a cool $238 billion over the next decade. By 2020, the last year in the projections, the Postal Service will be losing $33 billion annually.

 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-11/check-the-mailbox-to-see-where-...

polycarp2
Probably, the post office

Probably, the post office should stop serving unprofitable areas and see if the for-profit entities take up the challenge..The post office was set up in the nation's founding years to serve all areas...not just the profitable ones.

The L.A. Dept. of Water and Power should raise it's rates so you can prove your point.

When private utilities tripled their rates overnight in Calif., the city-owned L.A. Dept. of Water and Power rates remained the same. It didn't lose money by maintaining the much lower rate.

No one forced private libraries out of existence. Public libraries did that with a superior stock of books...and no fees to rent them..I can toddle down to my local library and get a book from just about any college/univ. in the state. if the local library doesn't have a copy. Great service..

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

meljomur
meljomur's picture
I would also suggest that the

I would also suggest that the primary reason so many government run agencies become such a mess is because you have people who get into government who believe GOVERNMENT IS THE PROBLEM.  So they want to make sure government stays the problem.

Look at how much No Child Left Behind has messed up the state of public education in America.  A program implemented by the Bush brothers, two very strong proponents of the government is the problem brigade.

Umm, the reason the post office is no longer a viable entity has far more to do with the advent of the internet than anything else.  When is the last time anyone here sent a letter?  Or for that matter even received bills or financial information via the post? 

So it does get rather tiresome to have the same conservative, libertarian, republican (I know you all like to think you are different but at the end of the day your desired outcome is the same) keep touting the same private industry is better mantra.  We know you don't like taxes. You don't care about others, and if someone doesn't have a job they are just a lazy twat who deserves to suffer.  We get that.

But good, strong, democratically elected government does work.  And the nations in this world which have these systems are far happier and prosperous than the USA.  That is a fact.

So while, conservatives continue to act like the equivalent of a spoiled 4 year old, who doesn't want to share his toys.  The adults realize that if that child is going to be able to live in SOCIETY as a functioning adult, he is going to have to learn to share and get along with the outside world.

 

Coriander
Coriander's picture
Sympathy with Dougo's

Sympathy with Dougo's cancer.  And I agree ...

About the price of drugs, one partial solution is Dean Baker's:  no patents for drugs developed by government scientists.  Oh, and more government scientists. (Undoubtedly he explains it better somewhere.)  On the other hand, although I hesitate to say good things about a certain Big Retail Chain, I believe they have managed, through economies of scale and expiration of certain patents, to bring some drug prices down. More big patents expiring this year!  I hope that's good.

So I agree with Dougo's idea,  People have focussed too exclusively on who pays for health care, not enough on cost-per-item.  (I like the idea of some non-prescription blood panels too.  Promoting patient's knowledge.)

cornopean
cornopean's picture
meljomur wrote: I would also

meljomur wrote:

I would also suggest that the primary reason so many government run agencies become such a mess is because you have people who get into government who believe GOVERNMENT IS THE PROBLEM.  So they want to make sure government stays the problem.

Look at how much No Child Left Behind has messed up the state of public education in America.  A program implemented by the Bush brothers, two very strong proponents of the government is the problem brigade.

NCLB was a bipartisan law very popular on both sides of the aisle, not a Bush brother thing.  Here is wikipedia:

NCLB was originally proposed by the administration of George W. Bush immediately after taking office.[4] The bill, shepherded through the Senate by Senator Ted Kennedy, one of the bill's co-authors, received overwhelming bipartisan support in Congress.[5] The House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384-45),[6] and United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91-8).[7] President Bush signed it into law on January 8, 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_child_left_behind

cornopean
cornopean's picture
Coriander wrote: Sympathy

Coriander wrote:

Sympathy with Dougo's cancer.  And I agree ...

About the price of drugs, ...

I know an easier way to bring down drug prices.  It's called liberty.  It's why computers are going down in price even tho they have ten times the capacity and power that yesterday's computers did.  

It's why the price of lasic surgery is going down (even as methods improve) and the cost of other health care is going thru the roof.

polycarp2
Maybe you expect substantial

Maybe you expect substantial differences between the two wings of the Corporate Party.

Substantial "differences" are limited to such things as who can marry who. It gives the appearance of choice...of difference. Power brokers on both sides don't really give a hoot about that...It costs them nothing and provides a good show. The illusion of democracy functions really, really well.

Do you prefer the wing of the Corporate Party that provides no substantial change or the wing of the Corporate Party that provides no substantial change?

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

cornopean
cornopean's picture
polycarp2 wrote: Maybe you

polycarp2 wrote:

Maybe you expect substantial differences between the two wings of the Corporate Party.

Substantial "differences" are limited to such things as who can marry who. It gives the appearance of choice...of difference. Power brokers on both sides don't really give a hoot about that...It costs them nothing and provides a good show. The illusion of democracy functions really, really well.

Do you prefer the wing of the Corporate Party that provides no substantial change or the wing of the Corporate Party that provides no substantial change?

Is there an argument here?  How do I respond to this?

polycarp2
Maybe by noting that

Maybe by noting that libertarian principles maintain the same structures in place that lead to another take-over of government after a brief hiatus.

Whenever wealth disparities become large ,government either gets bought or is forced upon a populace by the financing of an armed group.. Goldman Sachs.and its allies weren't elected President. Monarchs weren't elected kings. 

The only time that doesn't happen is in relatively egalitarian societies. History is history.

Libertarians want two opposites at the same time. A government that isn't captured by special interests or groups, and structures that assure it will be..

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease".

 

cornopean
cornopean's picture
polycarp2 wrote: Maybe by

polycarp2 wrote:

Maybe by noting that libertarian principles maintain the same structures in place that lead to another take-over of government after a brief hiatus.

Whenever wealth disparities become large ,government either gets bought or is forced upon a populace by the financing of an armed group.. Goldman Sachs.and its allies weren't elected President. Monarchs weren't elected kings.

This is why I am on this list.  Otherwise, I would never hear theories like this one.  I have never heard this idea before.  Thanks for enriching me intellectually.  I'll have to ponder this. 

rowdyliberal
Perhaps you'd like to explain

Perhaps you'd like to explain this to the man who the "For Pay Fire Department" let his house burn down. 

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/10/06/libertarianisms-dystopian-dreaming-fire-department-lets-familys-house-burn-down-over-a-75-membership-fee/

No Child Left Behind wasn't funded, Bush also stoled money from the fund to fix the levies in New Orleans.

http://www.factcheck.org/article344.html

douglaslee
douglaslee's picture
Dougo, I know the difference

Dougo, I know the difference in US pharmaceuticals re:price. I paid about 30 bucks for 100 pills for a script, then went to States and paid 110.00 for 30 pills. We have access to drugs made in Israel, too. You might have some luck with that source of import. I don't think Israel is as vilified as Canada.

btw, If fedex can deliver a letter for 40 cents, picked up at your home you should use them.